Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

14 hours ago, JustHangingOut said:

Does anyone know where I can find information out about an SSB and how to get one initiated?

Used to be: talk to autumn foley, AFPC/DP

Edit: that’s active duty

Edited by bennynova

Does anyone know where I can find information out about an SSB and how to get one initiated?
If your error was already corrected then that "should" have triggered an SSB automatically. But we know how that goes. If you were active duty, you would just email the AFPC Officer Promotions address (I don't have it off the top of my head, but it's on mypers), but for Guard, I doubt that will do any good. You probably have to go through your state weenies. If you're in CA I have a bro who can help. If not, good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

1 minute ago, olevelo said:

If your error was already corrected then that "should" have triggered an SSB automatically. But we know how that goes. If you were active duty, you would just email the AFPC Officer Promotions address (I don't have it off the top of my head, but it's on mypers), but for Guard, I doubt that will do any good. You probably have to go through your state weenies. If you're in CA I have a bro who can help. If not, good luck!

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Thanks for the gouge! I am not in CA, but i appreciate the offer. I am significantly beyond my TIG and hoping to get something moving soon.

On 6/27/2019 at 10:15 PM, Chromedome said:

Does anyone know when the RAW data gets posted for promotion statistics?  Does it get posted immediately after promotion release?  I'm curious to see the APZ promotion rates this year.  

Usually same day as public release or maybe the day after. I'm curious too, last year's board was a disaster! 

Any more words on this list?  I hear rumblings too about squadron leadership having it, but seems that mine is not as of yet releasing information to those specific people.  Other SQ/CC's have made their people aware.

On 6/28/2019 at 1:52 PM, bennynova said:

Used to be: talk to autumn foley, AFPC/DP

Edit: that’s active duty

There is a form you submit as “justification” why you should meet an SSB. Autumn Foley helped me as an Active Duty member. The goal is to find anything that you can, to get yourself another look. 

On ‎6‎/‎28‎/‎2019 at 2:14 AM, 14N Guy said:

Well, at least I know for sure that as a 2APZ, I didn't get selected. I got a super sweet "definitely promote..." in the push line preceded by no strats.

Sorry you didn't get picked up, but as a 1BPZ with a DP you are pretty much a lock next year.

Anyone else seen the list? Willing to DM?

My wing king isn’t even letting anyone know until 9 July

i have a meeting setup to know my fate (which I already know because I’m BPZ), but he hasn’t let ANYONE below him know.   He is taking the public release date a bit too serious IMO

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 5:50 PM, Excellius said:

Any more words on this list?  I hear rumblings too about squadron leadership having it, but seems that mine is not as of yet releasing information to those specific people.  Other SQ/CC's have made their people aware.

If my CC has it then he has a great poker face. I had assumed good news would come before the long weekend and bad news after but they legitimately might not know anything yet. 

• Like 1

On 7/1/2019 at 5:50 PM, Excellius said:

Wing execs here have the “non select list,” but not the actual list just yet.  As mentioned before, they want to make sure they inform the non selectees prior to the selectees.  

6 hours ago, Notarobot said:

If my CC has it then he has a great poker face. I had assumed good news would come before the long weekend and bad news after but they legitimately might not know anything yet. 

My guess is the last thing they need going into a long weekend is to set folks up to celebrate or drown themselves in Jack-Daniels-flavored sorrow for four straight unaccountable days. That’s how OPREPs get generated...

So Monday at the latest, one way or the other.

Chuck

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Excellius said:

Well, got the WG list here both selects and non selects.  Unfortunately, I was IPZ non select.  Expected it of sorts, but still a bit disappointed.  SQ/CC still hasn’t told me yet directly.

Sorry bud.  Don't let the Air Force promotion system define your worth as a person or an officer.  Take the long weekend and reset.  Obviously you'll have some disappointment to work through, but don't stay in that disappointed mindset forever.

Again, sorry bud.  We're here for you if you need us.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Excellius said:

Well, got the WG list here both selects and non selects.  Unfortunately, I was IPZ non select.  Expected it of sorts, but still a bit disappointed.  SQ/CC still hasn’t told me yet directly.

Sorry man.   Never fails, not seeing your name on the right list always stings even if you somewhat expect it.   Don’t worry, when you leave the Air Force, whenever that is, none of your friends or family will give a shit what rank you were.   Be proud of your service.  

• Upvote 2

Sorry bud.  Don't let the Air Force promotion system define your worth as a person or an officer.  Take the long weekend and reset.  Obviously you'll have some disappointment to work through, but don't stay in that disappointed mindset forever.
Again, sorry bud.  We're here for you if you need us.

A yuge “2” on this, and a slight modification if you’d permit me:

Don’t let the USAF in any way define your worth as a person. Ever.

It’s a f—king job. Period. As much patriotism and pageantry as they try to attach to it...it’s still only a job. Promotion boards are a question on politics, luck, and timing. Two out of three usually required to pass through the gate.

There are other jobs available that only have one basic requirement for progression-the date you were hired.

I’m not advocating feeling sorry for yourself dude or dudette. The company just told you officially where you’re going. Now it’s time to take that information and move forward. Best of luck.
  • Like 3

It hurts; it's insulting; it's nothing personal to them, but it is to you.

Big Blue simply doesn't care.

So you shouldn't anymore.  Take care of anyone that works for you, but anyone above you that wants something above and beyond whatever the daily job is, not so much.

If you can look at yourself in the mirror and be good with how you performed while you wore the uniform, the fcuk 'em.

Be prepared for the system to cast you out immediately and some 'bros' to avoid you.  Maybe because they don't know what to say but more likely they now view you as unclean, they made it why didn't you?.  Fcuk 'em.

Look at some folks who did get promoted during your time and you wondered "Da fuq?" 

And the same for folks who didn't that you knew were solid officers in the job.

You served your country; you stood up and raised your right hand, not many can say that in the big outside world.

Have a whisky, rub some dirt on it, then get out and make some bucks in the outside.

Sorry.

Edited by brickhistory
  • Upvote 1

Be prepared for the system to cast you out immediately and some 'bros' to avoid you.  Maybe because they don't know what to say but more likely they now view you as unclean, they made it why didn't you?

WTF? Who are these people?? You should in no way, shape, or form expect anything like that! Anyone with any kind of viewpoint even remotely similar to this needs to be anonymously set on fire.

~Bendy
  • Like 3

It’s a f—king job. Period. As much patriotism and pageantry as they try to attach to it...it’s still only a job.

Well that about sums up our problem right there. Just so much of this perspective these days. That’s what endless war without clear military objective will buy you. Sad to think leaders are just trying to attach patriotism to “it”.

Bloody hell we are so ed up,
Bendy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, Excellius said:

Sorry to hear that; that was me two years ago, and me again last year. It forced me to make some career choice changes that I hadn’t planned on making for another 4-5 years. But I made the changes, jumped in the reserves and got a sweet civy job. This year my reserve PRF came back with a DP, oh and they didn’t reclaim any of my  bonus and I got a big severance check to get out.

Getting passed over sucks.

But it opens other doors and opportunities. 

And there are people out here that still want you, need you, and value your contributions.

• Like 3
  • Upvote 1

22 hours ago, Excellius said:

So sorry bro! This was me last year although I didn't see it coming at all! I spent about 6 months stuck between denial and anger, got scrolled, started taking to some reserve units and have a few backup plans in place for my 98% chance at getting passed over APZ. (Still waiting to hear anything official) I highly recommend scheduling feedback counseling with AFPC once you get your non select letter, it gave me some pointers for this year as well as a little closure. Hang in there

1 hour ago, Ash said:

jumped in the reserves... and I got a big severance check

You may be aware, but if you retire from the reserves you don’t get any retirement pay until you ‘pay back’ the severance. Usually means two-ish years without a retirement paycheck.

23 hours ago, Excellius said:

I was in your shoes a long time ago.  Worked my ass off, played the game and filled all the squares and yet still got hosed.  Left active duty and got hired by the Reserves full time.  A couple years later, got hired at an airline.  The month of May was only 8 days working and a pretty decent paycheck but 11 days a month working and a nice paycheck are more typical.  Your skills are in demand but just not appreciated or valued by your current employer. 

I received a separation bonus (got paid to stay in and fly and paid to get out at the same time, go figure) and will have to pay that back since I retired from the Reserves but I look at it as a interest free loan which was put to good use.  Having the medical coverage is also a big deal.  Non-military guys are looking at paying for medical coverage to the tune of $1.2 to $2K per person if they retire prior to 65.

On 7/3/2019 at 11:31 AM, Excellius said:

I was in those shoes two years ago and am expecting to get my third “sorry, not sorry” notification when I get back from leave.  It’s a huge hit to the ego realizing the AF thinks you’re in the bottom 20% but once you get past that it’s actually damn liberating.  I don’t know what your aspirations were and if squadron command and greater was one of those, it does suck but there are positives if you remain on AD.  No more will you have to worry about an award packet or accepting that next awful job or deployment “because it would look good to your board.”  With no incentive of moving up you also have no incentive to work endless office hours or on your days off to make some asinine deadline.  Focus on yourself now, take a class or learn something new, take full advantage of hitting the gym during duty hours and spend time with your family outside of those duty hours.  Look for jobs that interest you both while on AD and those that may pad your future resume.  

TL; DR:  It sucks, but now that the AF stops caring about your career, you do you.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

I got passed over for O-5 last year IPZ. It’s definitely a kick in the nutz. It took some time working through the 5 stages of grief. I got my ATP and rushed a couple units and put in Palace Chase paperwork (which I found out got denied yesterday due to MDS manning BTW - I’m a KC-135 pilot who took the bonus to 20 years FWIW). Based on SAF PC’s denial rationale I’m expecting continuation but I’m ready for non-continuation or to deny continuation as I have a guard unit interested in hiring me if I choose. You definitely will have options if you spend some time looking at what’s out there. If you decide to stay in a pass over major who’s been continued does have some perks. 

You may be aware, but if you retire from the reserves you don’t get any retirement pay until you ‘pay back’ the severance. Usually means two-ish years without a retirement paycheck.

Pro tip: Get a VA disability rating if you have anything to claim and you’ll start paying down your debt immediately and be done with it well prior to receiving reserve retirement pay.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1