Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

The timeline between the board and estimated release date is very similar to 09’s timeline, however that was due to big Air Force not trusting their senior raters and re-scrubbing the records.  Looks like they are still figuring out this 100% thing.  

23 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Has the status at least moved on from USECAF?

Negative.  Still sitting with USECAF.  

19 minutes ago, dream big said:

The timeline between the board and estimated release date is very similar to 09’s timeline, however that was due to big Air Force not trusting their senior raters and re-scrubbing the records.  Looks like they are still figuring out this 100% thing.  

Agree.  Looks like they are still figuring it out.  

MyPers still says SECAF. I just don’t understand how it has been pushed back so many months without moving at all (unless potentially the SECDEF). I don’t see it being pushed through any time soon if it’s waiting on the SECDEF. 

On 5/29/2019 at 8:31 PM, Homestar said:

A1 roadshow guys said today the list is at SECDEF FWIW.

Did they say that it was the Lt Col board or the Maj board?  I would think it's both, but MyPers only shows the Lt Col Board with the SECDEF.  

Air Force Surveys Officers on Major Changes to Promotion Process

Oriana Pawlyk

Should Line of the Air Force promotion categories be split? That's the question the service is asking officers to answer in a new survey.

A proposed change would create subgroupings for promotion, putting a greater emphasis on field-specific expertise. Officials say it would allow the Air Force to promote with an eye to a service member's excellence within specific skill sets as well as character and competence.

"Over the past eighteen months, we have extensively examined how we develop, evaluate, and promote officers across our total force," officials said in a news release. "We have concluded that our current system, which has served us well in the past, is not optimized to support future joint warfighting in this new era. Based on our research, extensive discussions with Airmen across the Air Force (active, guard, reserve, and civilian), and surveys with joint and inter-agency teammates, we believe it is time to expand the Line of the Air Force promotion categories into more subgroupings."

The Air Force has separate promotion categories for its Judge Advocate General, chaplain and medical corps officers, who compete in their own professions for promotion.

Related content:

The plan is to break up the single, large category -- which encompasses about 87 percent of its officers -- into six new categories: air operations and special warfare; space operations; nuclear and missile operations; information warfare; combat support; and force modernization, according to the proposal.

The service would sort Air Force Specialty Codes into the categories that best fit. For example, cyber operations (17X), intelligence (14N), operations research analysis (61A), weather (15W), special investigations (71S), information operations (14F) and public affairs (35X) would be grouped under "information warfare."

Air Force Secretary Heather Wilson and Chief of Staff Gen. David Goldfein have begun distributing the new memorandum to the commanders of wings, numbered Air Force elements and other major commands across the force. It directs commanders to solicit input from officers and submit it up to major commands by July 31, with a final recommendation due to the secretary and chief not later than Aug. 30.

"This is building on what [the Air Force] is already doing," Lt. Gen Brian Kelly, the deputy chief of staff for manpower, personnel and services, said in a call with reporters Wednesday. "If you look at the [squadron revitalization] efforts that [Goldfein] laid out a couple years ago, we took some time to go to the field to get a lot of good feedback ... from our airmen ... and this continues this same vein of socializing these ideas."

Kelly and Assistant Secretary of the Air Force for Manpower and Reserve Affairs Shon Manasco will be deploying briefing teams to various installations across major commands in the next few months.

Once the Air Force gathers feedback, it will revise its plan as it best sees fit, Manasco said Wednesday.

If the decision is to push forward, officers will likely begin to see the new Line of Air Force categories in spring 2020, Kelly said.

The two officials stressed while the current system "is not broken," the one-size-fits-all approach does not allow the service to be as agile as it could be in adapting to new challenges and skill requirements, a growing necessity amid a rising threat of great power competition.

"It's about developing people in those specialties in the right way," Kelly said.

"When we think about the National Defense Strategy, it's requesting us as an Air Force to have capabilities, not just systems and equipment, but capabilities in our people ... and this ability to integrate across multi-domain warfare, and to be more steeped in your technical [skillset] -- you're looking at a different development path."

-- Oriana Pawlyk can be reached at oriana.pawlyk@military.com. Follow her on Twitter at @oriana0214.

Show Full Article

© Copyright 2019 Military.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

I haven't seen a survey yet, but it definitely seems like a step in the right direction to break promotions into more categories.  Hopefully the Air Force can then take the next step and promote more people in the categories where there are shortages.

On 5/21/2019 at 7:38 AM, ThreeHoler said:
The inevitable spiral is beginning!

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I don't know how I missed this. I don't think everyone knows.

2. Yes, we call it the "Prick" radio

C. STS is still practiced you fuck heads.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Edited by matmacwc
  • Upvote 2

Tell me how a person wins CGOQ 10x? A certain CC told me this today. I shook my head, but internally thought WTF. I'm not trying to be a douchebag, but I would assume you didn't compete against anyone or you were the sole officer being submitted repeatedly. 

BREAK BREAK

I had some E's bitching about the Operations Superintendent using bullets from everyone on his award package. Because he was competing against others who actually did all the work. I can see both sides of the argument. 

Edited by Shazaam
  • Downvote 3

So an interesting discussion at work today was whether new promotion "buckets" will bring back second tier strats again. For example, a 30/100 CGOs looks a lot better now if you are also 1/30 Combat Support Officers. Now your actually telling the board on your PRF this person competes well against others he is boarded against. Thoughts? 

5 hours ago, Shazaam said:

Tell me how a person wins CGOQ 10x? A certain CC told me this today. I shook my head, but internally thought WTF. I'm not trying to be a douchebag, but I would assume you didn't compete against anyone or you were the sole officer being submitted repeatedly. 

BREAK BREAK

I had some E's bitching about the Operations Superintendent using bullets from everyone on his award package. Because he was competing against others who actually did all the work. I can see both sides of the argument. 

How long has this person been a CGO?  Most of us are CGOs for a solid 10-12 years.  That's one OTQ award a year.  Doesn't seem excessive, especially if it's a fast-burner your CC is trying to set up for success.

I'm also curious if that's ALL CGO OTQ awards... Like, won at the squadron, then group, then wing for one quarter - that's three OTQ awards right there.