Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

Guys.... It's all part of the calculus. There is no "one" issue. People are leaving because the scales simply don't favor the Air Force's side. You add it all up and that's why people punch.

Edited by FLEA
  • Upvote 4

On 5/20/2019 at 9:37 PM, Disco_Nav963 said:

Article 32 officer hasn't even determined there is probable cause for a trial yet, Colorado Springs PD already determined that there was not, and we're plastering the guy's name all over the place?

Not relevant to topic, and prejudicial to someone that is innocent until proven guilty. Delete and move on.

The Air Force always does that. However, if fully acquitted they don’t release your name. 

Edited by Sua Sponte

12 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

Show me in any survey or report where spouse job opportunity ranks. 

Haha. There's literally dozens of surveys and reports if you google anything pertaining to military spouse employment.

4jooc5.png

https://www.uschamberfoundation.org/sites/default/files/Military Spouses in the Workplace.pdf

Edited by torqued
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 3

I would say spouse career falls under the broader category of family stability, and for me, family stability is #2 on my list of reasons to leave. I’m not complaining, my family knows what we signed up for, but it is a contributing factor for my reasons to leave. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

21 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

The Air Force has zero responsibility to consider your civilian spouses career. 

Those are choices you and your spouse made. 

You’re 100% right about the responsibility, but to scoff it has major consequences on retention and quality of those retained. 

The numbers favor the civilian spouse pretty quickly (year 3-5 of a career) if they are a professional who is even moderately successful.  Those slightly above average performing spouses probably didn’t marry slackers, and probably went to slightly above average schools (along with their husbands). Scoffing that means that we leave it up to the numbers, and the numbers almost always win over a “quality of service” offsetting value. 

So I agree with you Bashi. Instead of giving $500 for certification benefits to offset hundreds of thousands in in opportunity cost (nice try but laughable), let’s just be honest and say that if you want a spouse’s career that’s worth a shit, unless you’re a doctor, nurse, teacher, or unskilled, you’ll have to sacrifice living together, a family, or both. No big deal if you and your spouse are driven to succeed. Plus, you can always get a new family.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bigred said:

t’s the same thing as flying in the 60s at Nellis and hearing all of the Air Force call it the ‘container’ vice ‘box’, or ‘Hook-152’ vice ‘prick-152’.

I've never heard anybody call a PRC-152 a "Hook-152". You may be thinking of the PRC-112. The Hook-112 vs PRC-112 was to differentiate the radios that had the ability to send encrypted OTH communications versus only terminal area guidance to LARS/PLS equipped radios. The GPS fix of the radio is displayed as a "Hook" symbol on programs like BirdDog. The name stuck not because of antics but because it was effective in communicating the radios capabilities to other players rather than saying PRC-112A/B/G. Crews still denoted the old PRC-90 as a "Prick-90".

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Bigred said:

I’ll throw a grenade here, but the fact that you put (sts) behind a comment like that is also part of the culture/retention problem. It’s the same thing as flying in the 60s at Nellis and hearing all of the Air Force call it the ‘container’ vice ‘box’, or ‘Hook-152’ vice ‘prick-152’.

Flame away, but from the outside looking in, that’s an obvious contributor. 

wtf. What's your back ground?

Why are some of you on this forum criticizing other people’s literal first hand observations and experiences in their lives?  You don’t get to say that guys’ lack of realistic employment or career options for their spouses can’t or doesn’t impact their retention.  For some people, this is the biggest issue they have with the Air Force.

Im glad it’s not a factor for all of you, but I know for me and numerous other peers, it’s a huge consideration.  High performing people marry high performing people.  And sometimes they do it without understanding 100% of what their military career implies for both of their lives.  And that’s not their fault.  It’s impossible to understand the full scope of a military career until you’re there.

If my wife who has 2 real masters degrees gets told one more time by the employment office she should be happy to take a NAF job - by the way the best one they had was a gym receptionist job paying 60k less than her last job - I’m probably out.  And all of this happens  while there are GS jobs she is qualified and interested in, but for some reason don’t utilize spouse preference.

Don’t try to turn this into a single issue problem.  Opinion crushing and narratives that say it’s just one thing like QoL are why now dudes can’t say that lack of compensation might also be a problem. The truth is this is a multipronged problem. We’re all on the same team here, let’s support fixing it all.

Edited by brawnie
  • Like 2
  • Upvote 5

40 minutes ago, Breckey said:

I've never heard anybody call a PRC-152 a "Hook-152". You may be thinking of the PRC-112. The Hook-112 vs PRC-112 was to differentiate the radios that had the ability to send encrypted OTH communications versus only terminal area guidance to LARS/PLS equipped radios. The GPS fix of the radio is displayed as a "Hook" symbol on programs like BirdDog. The name stuck not because of antics but because it was effective in communicating the radios capabilities to other players rather than saying PRC-112A/B/G. Crews still denoted the old PRC-90 as a "Prick-90".

I’ve been to Nellis supporting 7 different weapons school classes, both as a JTAC and flying, and I’ve never heard a pilot refer to any radio that starts with ‘PRC’ as a prick. It’s always a ‘Hook’. And I’m talking about the PRC-152, 112, 117, and 158. 

18 minutes ago, Bigred said:

I’ve been to Nellis supporting 7 different weapons school classes, both as a JTAC and flying, and I’ve never heard a pilot refer to any radio that starts with ‘PRC’ as a prick. It’s always a ‘Hook’. And I’m talking about the PRC-152, 112, 117, and 158. 

We call them "prick-xxx" in the B-1 community.  Not super-involved in the SAR side of the house, so can't say what those guys are doing.

• Like 1

And all of this happens  while there are GS jobs she is qualified and interested in, but for some reason don’t utilize spouse preference.

The reason is almost positively because if hired, there's a good chance they'll be leaving in 2-4 years...

3 minutes ago, jazzdude said:

The reason is almost positively because if hired, there's a good chance they'll be leaving in 2-4 years...

So, the kind of discrimination against the military that Delta is getting sued for?

57 minutes ago, Bigred said:

Navy helos/JTAC, hence the ‘outside looking in’ comment. 

Alright partner I can tell you that Air Force pilots are not punching due to the use of humorous word games. Actually quite the opposite. Sounds like you've got some gray hair so I'll give you the benefit of the doubt, but I recommend reading a few threads here on BODN to see root cause for pilot exodus. 

17 hours ago, Bigred said:

I’ll throw a grenade here, but the fact that you put (sts) behind a comment like that is also part of the culture/retention problem. It’s the same thing as flying in the 60s at Nellis and hearing all of the Air Force call it the ‘container’ vice ‘box’, or ‘Hook-152’ vice ‘prick-152’.

Flame away, but from the outside looking in, that’s an obvious contributor. 

Hey guys, I was totally ready to sign up for 9 more years of OPRs, PT tests, PCSs to shitty places, deployments to shitty places, a useless 365 resulting in missing seeing my kids grow up, crappy leadership, crappy support agencies, flying falling apart aircraft that are twice my age, creating trackers to track the other trackers, hustling strats to make O-5, 1206s, POCing some change of commands, getting chiefed for morale patches, commanders calls, SAPR briefs, resiliency training, my wife putting her career on hold for just another decade, my kids needing to go to 9 schools to graduate HS, sitting Sup/SOF, being forced to volunteer for BS to fill up OPR blank space, and some other crap I don’t want to think about. I was totally gonna keep doing all this shit.  

But then I heard another pilot say STS 6-9 times. So I’m getting the fuck out now.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, brawnie said:

High performing people marry high performing people.  And sometimes they do it without understanding 100% of what their military career implies for both of their lives.  

Spot on. I have never asked my old lady to sacrifice for me. Marrying or dating a high potential woman (HPW) means someone is going to have to sacrifice for every PCS. That can create strain, stress, and resentment in a relationship or marriage. 

Edited by Shazaam
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Shazaam’s idea of a HPW.

Posting trashy photos here is kind of a bash against women. I don't know that lady, but I'm pretty sure she doesn't need you posting photos of her past here. Have a bit more respect. That is someone's wife, daughter, or she may not be on this earth anymore. Who knows.

If you are going to try and bash people wives or girlfriends who have successful careers despite loving a military man with their own successful career, then I highly suggest you look at the state of your marriage. Maybe there is some jealousy shrouded in your posts because your significant others Uber job just can't pay the bills anymore. She should stop giving out so many free rides, but at least when you PCS she will always have work.

Edited by Shazaam
  • Haha 1
  • Downvote 5

On 5/25/2019 at 1:26 PM, pawnman said:

So, the kind of discrimination against the military that Delta is getting sued for?

Nope, not at all. Your military status is explicitly protected under the law in every state. The spouse’s status is not in any. (Not a lawyer; happy to be wrong.)

As far as the spouse’s employer is concerned WRT letting an employee go: being rude or unable to show up on time and being married to a military member are the same. 

Mods: Sorry, massive derail.