Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

17 hours ago, pawnman said:

A guy I know passed over with a DP said that in his feedback session with AFPC, one of the factors they highlighted was a lack of FGO awards.  After that, I wrote a 1206 every quarter.

Sounds like a civilian responded to the guy you are referencing. Isn't that kind of being closed minded from a board perspective if you have won FGOQ at the squadron level 3-4 times, but never win at the Group, Wing, or a yearly? I would say most FGOs don't like to submit themselves for awards. You would think it's about you leading. But what do I know.

"Leadership is about solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care." Colin Powell, General, Retired. 

Edited by Shazaam
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Shazaam said:

Sounds like a civilian response. Isn't that kind of being closed minded from a board if you have won FGOQ at the squadron level 3-4 times, but never win at the Group, Wing, or a yearly? I would say most FGOs don't like to submit themselves for awards. You would think it's about you leading. But what do I know.

"Leadership is about solving problems. The day soldiers stop bringing you their problems is the day you have stopped leading them. They have either lost confidence that you can help or concluded you do not care." Colin Powell, General, Retired. 

Just passing on what I know.  And in my shop up at the wing staff, the only other FGO is my boss, currently in a holding pattern for SQ/CC this summer... So it isn't like he needs the awards.

So call me selfish, but I absolutely submitted a 1206 every quarter for the past two years, which let me put a "X FGO Qtr awards" on the PRF and top OPR.

I also submit someone from my shop in every category we can compete in every quarter.  Bitch all you want about the process, awards make a difference. At the very least, I'm getting my accomplishments on paper, in front of the boss, every quarter instead of waiting until OPR time.

51 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Just passing on what I know.  And in my shop up at the wing staff, the only other FGO is my boss, currently in a holding pattern for SQ/CC this summer... So it isn't like he needs the awards.

So call me selfish, but I absolutely submitted a 1206 every quarter for the past two years, which let me put a "X FGO Qtr awards" on the PRF and top OPR.

I also submit someone from my shop in every category we can compete in every quarter.  Bitch all you want about the process, awards make a difference. At the very least, I'm getting my accomplishments on paper, in front of the boss, every quarter instead of waiting until OPR time.

Go team you!

• Haha 2
  • Upvote 2

19 minutes ago, Shazaam said:

And we all wonder what's wrong with the promotion system....

No one cares about your career more than you.  You can care about other's careers as well, but at the end of the day, the person with the most invested in your career is yourself.

You don't have to stab people in the back to do the things the Air Force values as an institution.

Edited by pawnman

3 minutes ago, pawnman said:

No one cares about your career more than you.  You can care about other's careers as well, but at the end of the day, the person with the most invested in your career is yourself.

You don't have to stab people in the back to do the things the Air Force values as an institution.

You do have to stab people in the back when you're charge and people under you threaten to damage your future promotions and career. Reference the fired commanders thread.

There can be a lot of secretarial work in an exec job, but in many cases, that person is surrounded and mentored by multiple O6s and above, as well as interactions with the group and squadron commanders.   

Its a good learning experience on how things work and what sort of information our bosses and above actually care about.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, bennynova said:

There can be a lot of secretarial work in an exec job, but in many cases, that person is surrounded and mentored by multiple O6s and above, as well as interactions with the group and squadron commanders.   

Its a good learning experience on how things work and what sort of information our bosses and above actually care about.

Mentored to be like the current crop of yes men with a additional learning experience in how ass backwards leadership priorities really are....

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

The spirit of being an exec may be grooming and such, but let’s be honest that it has morphed into a way to reward certain guys for their administrative skills. Additionally, look at a rack and stack and see where the wing execs fall. You honestly think that the best a Wing has to offer goes there because that’s where they belong? It has totally become a box to check if you want to be successful in the Air Force’s eyes. 

*Break Break*

Hypothetical question for the masses and Pawnman. With your revelation that you have been in your same wing forever and have been submitting yourself for awards every quarter, do you think your “P” allocation had anything to do with that? From a completely outside and neutral source, if I saw a guy doing that, I would think he was a douche. Your reasoning makes sense, but do you think that is an unintended consequence?

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, Danger41 said:

The spirit of being an exec may be grooming and such, but let’s be honest that it has morphed into a way to reward certain guys for their administrative skills. Additionally, look at a rack and stack and see where the wing execs fall. You honestly think that the best a Wing has to offer goes there because that’s where they belong? It has totally become a box to check if you want to be successful in the Air Force’s eyes. 

*Break Break*

Hypothetical question for the masses and Pawnman. With your revelation that you have been in your same wing forever and have been submitting yourself for awards every quarter, do you think your “P” allocation had anything to do with that? From a completely outside and neutral source, if I saw a guy doing that, I would think he was a douche. Your reasoning makes sense, but do you think that is an unintended consequence?

No, I think my P was a consequence of my WG/CC having zero DPs to give.  If he thought I was a douche, I don't think I would have gotten a top 10% FGO strat or a "Super P".

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

13 hours ago, IDALPHA said:

Mentored to be like the current crop of yes men with a additional learning experience in how ass backwards leadership priorities really are....

Sometimes you have to call out BS and not fear the repercussions of rank. I think this belongs here and piggy backs on your post of what being a leader means. I'm not telling anyone to be insubordinate, but we have enough "Yes Men & Women."

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2019/05/12/gen-hap-arnold-led-army-air-forces-in-wwii-you-might-be-surprised-by-what-he-did-as-a-major/

11 hours ago, Danger41 said:

SHACK - I stay in touch with my former CC. He told me they sent a pretty toxic dude to the Wing who was automatically promoted to major because of the 100% opportunity to promote. I know the guy. The dude gets stuff done, but has no damn clue how to talk to people. Where have we seen this before..CC's fired thread. The sad part is he is a damn prior.

Edited by Shazaam

I mean, they do have to listen because of his rank. Do they have to respect him personally? No. He also assumes responsibility when the E’s follow his orders and in the end it was a piss poor decision. The only way that doesn’t happen is if he’s a HPO and “forgiven” by senior commanders, which subsequently gets him promoted.

Edited by Sua Sponte

1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

Pawnman can you tell us more about how great your record is? - baseops 

Hey Bashi - Go fuck yourself.

Here we are trying to compare records, trying to decipher the promotion system, trying to honestly answer the questions we're asked, and you want to shit on people who put their cards in the table.

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 2

1 hour ago, BashiChuni said:

every time you stroke your own record-cock on here

That sounds like an unfortunate deformity. I mean... damn. I feel like we should start a go-fund-‘em  

353BFEEF-30D5-4EE1-B9A1-EB6CD031EDA7.gif

Edited by jice
  • Haha 1

Well guys, thanks for the support.  I used to view this forum as a place to get the kind of honest feedback and insight that senior leadership refuses to give you in person.

But I guess we're down to mocking anyone who wants to get promoted and/or stay in the Air Force one day past their ADSC.

And we wonder why so few good people become senior leaders.  I submit that part of the reason is that we heap scorn on anyone who wants to be senior leaders, so the "good dudes" feel like that can't remain good dudes and play the promotion game.

Sorry for responding to a direct question with a direct answer.  Good luck to those who want to get promoted, and good luck to those who want out as soon as possible.  I don't understand why any of you continue to encourage people to join on the other parts of the forum.

• Like 4
  • Upvote 6

4 hours ago, BashiChuni said:

Pawnman can you tell us more about how great your record is? - baseops 

He was asked a question, and he answered it.  As someone who has been around for a while, I didn't see a problem with his response.  

• Like 3
  • Upvote 4

Don’t let ‘em get you down pawnman. With as scary as the world looks today, I’m glad there are those who want to continue on active duty teaching others how to kill people and break things. It’s just time for a lot of dudes like me to make the jump to doing it part time. I don’t fault you for trying to get promoted, and I wish you luck on the board.

I, for one have never played the AF game, and have very few awards to speak of because of it. Definitely no FGO awards, and I plan to keep it that way. But I don’t fault those who play the game, it is what it is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

All this shit tossing is bullshit. I posted my PRF earlier in this thread complete with a bunch of awards in it with a P. I’m certainly not an HPO or anything other than someone who got a P.

I submitted 1206s on myself for awards when I felt competitive so flame all you want on me.

I standby what Pawn was saying... the rest of yourselves can go get ed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1
  • Upvote 3