Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

My own community is shrinking.  Leadership is running through COA after COA for where we can possibly place all these pilots and WSOs as squadrons draw down to almost half their size, and as we're being told attached flyers will do all their currency and training events in the sim (if you're in the OSS, you're probably not going to see the inside of a jet again for a while, if ever)

1/2 the size? What is driving this? The RSAP is difficult to deal with for us. Can’t fill legit staff positions at the MAJCOM due to this—-so sorry mister Burnout Major who has deployed your tail off you have to stay in the Ops Sq because the squadrons need to be manned.

Is there any thought to reflowing anybody from GSC to AFSOC?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 minutes ago, Skitzo said:

1/2 the size? What is driving this? The RSAP is difficult to deal with for us. Can’t fill legit staff positions at the MAJCOM due to this—-so sorry mister Burnout Major who has deployed your tail off you have to stay in the Ops Sq because the squadrons need to be manned.

No idea.  What's driving ours specifically is a severe shortage in aircraft availability.  A bunch of SQ/CCs (ops and MX) got together for a week to crunch the numbers and presented the whole thing to Gen Ray.  Bottom line, we don't have the iron necessary to support our current commitments or squadron sizes.

We're currently just sending folks to Growlers, Pensacola, UPT...places we were already sending folks, just at a trickle.  Now we're sending more.  They even had a short-notice tasker to send a WSO to the F-15E FTU...like, email sent out on a Monday for a class start that Thursday or Friday.

We're also planning to send a bunch of people to the BUFF, even though the BUFF is already overmanned in the flying squadrons.

5 minutes ago, pawnman said:

We're also planning to send a bunch of people to the BUFF, even though the BUFF is already overmanned in the flying squadrons.

“Overmanned.” Go with data. 

2 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

“Overmanned.” Go with data. 

I only have what the functional tells us during roadshows.  That's the excuse given for why BUFF guys can get staff jobs and teach UPT while guys like me have been unable to PCS for six years.  

Edited by pawnman

5 hours ago, pawnman said:

I guess I'm more valuable not flying at Dyess than I am not flying at an ROTC detachment

Don't lose all faith. Check myPers for the Rated Command Oppotunities. It's not ROTC, but it's something...

"Rated Lt Cols and (selects) interested...may also be considered for Air Education & Training Command (AETC) Recruiting (C83R) and Training (91C0) command positions."

1 hour ago, GKinnear said:

Don't lose all faith. Check myPers for the Rated Command Oppotunities. It's not ROTC, but it's something...

"Rated Lt Cols and (selects) interested...may also be considered for Air Education & Training Command (AETC) Recruiting (C83R) and Training (91C0) command positions."

One more reason to hope and pray for promotion.

The ROTC commander I talked to said there were 25 total rated jobs across all ROTCs in the country.

Can’t speak to the GSC side of the house, but AFSOC is still looking for rated bodies, probably across the board. I’ve known a handful of BUFF EWOs cross over to MCs. I imagine there’s a handful of bomber dudes who found themselves in gunships as well. However the biggest limfac in gunships is the AC-J pipeline. U boat crossflows have created quite a backlog from what I understand. YMMV, but most schoolhouses (except maybe U-28s) have limited student throughput.

45 minutes ago, MechGov said:

Can’t speak to the GSC side of the house, but AFSOC is still looking for rated bodies, probably across the board. I’ve known a handful of BUFF EWOs cross over to MCs. I imagine there’s a handful of bomber dudes who found themselves in gunships as well. However the biggest limfac in gunships is the AC-J pipeline. U boat crossflows have created quite a backlog from what I understand. YMMV, but most schoolhouses (except maybe U-28s) have limited student throughput.

U-28 pipeline for pilots is backed up, CSOs however are in demand, couple started class a few weeks ago that graduated nav school 10 ish days prior. 

4 hours ago, MechGov said:

In other news, I just saw the memo from Deputy CSAF-manpower that 2-line PRFs are official, effective 16 Sept 19. More details are apparently on mypers (not gonna log on to mypers to find them)

Can I submit it in crayon?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, MechGov said:

If they're in need of bodies they don't act like it. I've tried to crossflow for two VMLs and was told I didnt line up with training dates. 

55 minutes ago, Runr6730 said:

Posted to the MAF Assignments & Mentoring FB page.  2-line PRFs are official for all boards covering after 16 Sep 19.

D9DFBFB5-2D0B-4CA6-9498-DCB1C0742535.jpeg

A pointless measure.  All this does is validate what we already know.  PRF's are an inaccurate means of identifying real leadership potential.  This measure simply promotes the self-licking ice cream cone that is our USAF promotion system.  You can literally do F*@#& all for 12 years, take an exec/aide gig working for a general and end up on top of the pack.  

Side note:  Word on the street said mock boards that were conducted using an officer's record without a PRF yielded drastically different results than mock boards conducted using 2 line/9 line PRFs respectively.  Hmmm...      

• Upvote 2

Yet rumor also has it that one of those two lines must contain a strat of 1-n by rank meeting board and 1-n overall. That means the #100/100 guy will know immediately that he should update his airline apps.

If they increase the bonus, I think this could actually help the AF retain its top-rated folks. Now everyone knows where they are at.

I’d expect the bottom 20 or more to self-eliminate and move on to greener pastures. On the other hand this could backfire if the bottom 50% start self eliminating. I would. There are plenty of jobs out there that would love an AF officer.

... but hopefully they don’t ask to see your AF records, because bottom ratings won’t be hidden in code words anymore. 🤔

1 hour ago, Klepto said:

Yet rumor also has it that one of those two lines must contain a strat of 1-n by rank meeting board and 1-n overall. That means the #100/100 guy will know immediately that he should update his airline apps.

If they increase the bonus, I think this could actually help the AF retain its top-rated folks. Now everyone knows where they are at.

I’d expect the bottom 20 or more to self-eliminate and move on to greener pastures. On the other hand this could backfire if the bottom 50% start self eliminating. I would. There are plenty of jobs out there that would love an AF officer.

... but hopefully they don’t ask to see your AF records, because bottom ratings won’t be hidden in code words anymore. 🤔

At least it's forcing some transparency.

• Upvote 1

Anyone have any gouge if you’re heading to school this summer what to do?  My NO has already been written 9-line format.   Am guessing my command will need to re-accomplish with new format.  
At least you're still there. What about those of us in an AAD program for 3 years where we have a NO already?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

6 hours ago, pawnman said:

Weren't they also supposed to be running an experiment where they separated aviators from the rest of LAF officers to see if that would improve aviator promotion rates?

Yes.

The AFDW/CC briefed the AF folks here at CGSC a month or so ago and said this was approved. Though the timeline and particulars for implementing the plan is still up in the air. He said he expects in the 2021 time frame.

I think this is a good move since each competitive category can choose to promote what it values and the number of selects for each category can be tailored year to year based on needs. The downside is they expect rated promotion rates to decrease because the overall number of selects is still capped and each category will get allocated guaranteed line numbers. 

2 hours ago, olevelo said:

At least you're still there. What about those of us in an AAD program for 3 years where we have a NO already?

Sent from my SM-N960U1 using Tapatalk

Just took that memo to my boss and got a "What the is this?"  There are no additional instructions on mypers as Gen Kelly indicates in the memo. 

14 hours ago, Jetpilot said:

A pointless measure.  All this does is validate what we already know.  PRF's are an inaccurate means of identifying real leadership potential.  This measure simply promotes the self-licking ice cream cone that is our USAF promotion system.  You can literally do F*@#& all for 12 years, take an exec/aide gig working for a general and end up on top of the pack.  

Side note:  Word on the street said mock boards that were conducted using an officer's record without a PRF yielded drastically different results than mock boards conducted using 2 line/9 line PRFs respectively.  Hmmm...      

While the process doesn't have to be as imperfect as the AF does it, it's not an easy process. One of my AFROTC instructors was a personnel type who was involved in creating the PRF and later changing from the OER to the OPR.  He said they talked to all the Fortune 500 companies at the time to ask how they did performance eval and promotions.  They answer they got back from all of them was basically, "If you figure it out, come back and let us know."  

• Upvote 1

. The downside is they expect rated promotion rates to decrease because the overall number of selects is still capped and each category will get allocated guaranteed line numbers. 

Umm, why during an aircrew retention (no longer a crisis?) wouldn’t they allocate a higher percentage of the selects to critical AFSCs? If the promotion rate for pilots decreases, and increases for other LAF categories, retention will only get worse.

3 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

Umm, why during an aircrew retention (no longer a crisis?) wouldn’t they allocate a higher percentage of the selects to critical AFSCs? If the promotion rate for pilots decreases, and increases for other LAF categories, retention will only get worse.

Sportbitching:

That’s fine. We won’t need aviators after the 69th iteration. By then the United States Personnel and Base Agency Support Force will be in the capable hands of those who finally got us out of the frivolous business of air power.

A moment of thought:

This isn’t a college application process where failure to be selected carries forfeiture of a $50 application fee; here it’s a life’s work and associated compensation. Decreasing opportunity for people to effect the organization in which they are considering spending their lives will result in less investment across the board. Opportunity cost vs. relative value. I’d expect that effect to be true in particular amongst those driven to have a meaningful impact with their life’s work.

Promotion for quality isn’t simply picking your best folks; it’s convincing your nascent best folks 5 years before the board that if they work hard they’ll be rewarded. Smart people don’t stick around to get f*cked. Delta, state government, the FAA, McDonald’s, and the Church all need fantastic leaders too. Those jobs don’t come with such a narrow temporal window of opportunity, but earlier is generally better.  

TLDR; Do we value experience in our service’s mission here or not? If so, let’s get the incentives straight.

Related: got to fly a fkn fighter jet today. The job in itself is awesome. 

Edited by jice