Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

1 hour ago, IDALPHA said:

Navs will run the AD AF in a few years... most pilots worth their salt that didn’t fall for the bonus will be out.... you’ll be just fine. I mean, you got all the containers filled.

And half of those that stay will get passed over and probably walk with their BRS.

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, 14N Guy said:

So I did ACSC via correspondence. A few years later I decided to do the OLMP (already had a Masters, but it was free so why not?). Won an award with my research paper (my name is on a plaque at a school I have never set foot in) and was a sitting DO in a non-flying SQ and still got passed over.

YMMV, but, I think it’s really about how much your leadership likes you and is willing to go to bat for you. I say do ACSC if it interests you. If it doesn't, then don’t. It won’t be the thing that tips your promotability one way or the other. Your records did that years ago.

This thread has gotten really interesting. There is supposed to be less emphasis on ACSC. You are supposed to go when the AF wants you to go. In a sense, you don't determine that time is what I was told. That is the mentorship nugget that was passed down to me yesterday from my CC. This intel could be the equivalent of the weapons of mass destruction we never found in Iraq. 

Just curious, what kind of DO position were you occupying?

A bud from AFROTC is a T-38 IP in Hell Rio. He was shocked I had to go in on a Saturday as a DO. I was like yeah, I go in to lead by example because my people have to give up their Saturday. I told him we do graduate 39K-40K trainees a year. Not the same as UPT.

Edited by Shazaam

8 hours ago, Shazaam said:

This thread has gotten really interesting. There is supposed to be less emphasis on ACSC. You are supposed to go when the AF wants you to go. In a sense, you don't determine that time is what I was told. That is the mentorship nugget that was passed down to me yesterday from my CC. This intel could be the equivalent of the weapons of mass destruction we never found in Iraq. 

Just curious, what kind of DO position were you occupying?

A bud from AFROTC is a T-38 IP in Hell Rio. He was shocked I had to go in on a Saturday as a DO. I was like yeah, I go in to lead by example because my people have to give up their Saturday. I told him we do graduate 39K-40K trainees a year. Not the same as UPT.

A boarded 14N position in an ISS (a specialized comm Squadron that supports DGS core sites). I’m the only 14N in a sea of 17Ds/3Ds. 14N senior leaders state that all 14N O-4 boarded leadership positions are created equal. If that is the case, mine is at the end of the bench.

I have heard the same thing about IDE. The 14Ns I know that have gone to ACSC have their next few assignments planned out by 14N senior leaders. I don’t know if everybody sent to IDE in-res is being groomed for O-6, but it certainly acts as a gate for 14Ns, if they want to progress to the higher levels of the 14N world.

It’s kind of like in-res attendees are new to Scientology and ACSC is their audit to get them to a higher operating Thetan level. Hopefully Tom Cruise doesn’t kick my ass now.

On 4/24/2019 at 5:01 PM, Shazaam said:

You could be in for a shock. Boss told me don't worry about ACSC or receiving a "P." I'm not worried at all to be honest. Everything happens for a reason.

It would just suck for the people who did complete ACSC, if the board actually promoted the personnel who didn't do it. I just became a DO of a non-flying squadron. Not sure how the board will view my record as a sitting DO. I PCS'd just in time to have my duty title updated on my SURF.

Your CC sounds  very uneducated 

you should be worried if you care... you are on the fringe with a P.    Not doing ACSC almost says do not promote

Edited by bennynova
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, bennynova said:

Your CC sounds  very uneducated 

you should be worried if you care... you are on the fringe with a P.    Not doing ACSC almost says do not promote

The sad part is I don't think I'm on the fringe. I don't feel like I want it as much as Pawnman and he would deserve to be promoted more than me. All I ever wanted as a kid was to be in the NBA or a pilot. 

My CC means well, so I have to give her some credit right? Somehow she knew before everyone else that she got promoted to Lt Col. Maybe she was told something about this board because they no $h@t met right down the street (optimistic).

Dudes like you in this forum help keep me grounded. I'm not expecting anything from the AF come release day. I'll take a shot of Korean soju regardless of the outcome for the fellas who make O-5! And another shot for not doing ACSC!

Edited by Shazaam

I'm off-topic.  Sort of.  If you are interested in business/finance, however, read on: I'd like to offer a rebel's argument on a limited embrace of some "careerism."

From where I sit, a well-ranked MBA program (and there goes my anonymity!): I'm not bragging, I was very fortunate.  This opportunity has given me some perspective and credibility re: "what matters" after AD in this path.

1.  AD me hated quarterly and annual awards.  We spend 50% of our time patting ourselves on the back, and the system is broken, in different flavors in different locations.  Forget that.  If you're thinking about getting out and aiming high in business, I urge you to think about YOUR interests and not protesting the system.  I notched some awards late in my career that have paid big dividends in getting some selective interviews.  Many others have the same experience.  If you can get these, DO SO.  Play the long game and don't be a rebel without a cause.

2.  The only thing that matters on your resume is being able to talk about and defend what you write in an interview.  10% truth rule, 100% truth rule . . . who cares.  What is on your OPR/PRF is irrelevant.  If you are willing to stand your ground and tell your story, make your own bullets for later.  Your integrity is not judged on an OPR/PRF, but on you and any references the firm contacts.

3.  Your narrative/story is everything.  What motivated you through your career?  When/why did your objectives change?  What evidence is there to believe the story you tell?  Forget the OPRs.  No one reads them or asks for them, but they will ask you about the details.  Think about what brings your path together in terms of objectives and motivations, and do whatever you can on AD to make the facts fit the story when you talk to your boss and peers about the next steps.

• Upvote 1

On 4/24/2019 at 5:40 PM, IDALPHA said:

Choosing to skip ACSC online is not due to laziness... Its proving that it’s completely worthless. Just like you said, all it takes is formatting of a paper (or marking answer “c” / “too long to be wrong”) to pass. Again validation what a waste of time/money/resources  the course truly is.

Tactical victory at a strategic loss. 

Is it truly without worth if it increases your pay? Going from a 14+ O-4 to a 16+ O-5 is netting me over $1,100/month more because not failing to complete a “worthless course” didn’t make a bunch on non-ops O-6s (the majority of your board make-up) look at me as lazy or unpromotable.

Good for you for going full Kaepernick and having a belief. But don’t be surprised if it nets the same result from the corporation. 

• Upvote 2

22 hours ago, Shazaam said:

This thread has gotten really interesting. There is supposed to be less emphasis on ACSC. You are supposed to go when the AF wants you to go. In a sense, you don't determine that time is what I was told.

Years ago we were told to get a Masters. Then we were told we didn’t need one. Then we did again. Now we need one for O-6. Standing by for next pendulum swing.

ACSC is no different.  And if you think senior raters are really following CSAF guidance when they decide what they value in a person going up for promotion, I challenge you to look at how many things were made optional that they still insist on doing month after month. 

• Like 1

Years ago we were told to get a Masters. Then we were told we didn’t need one. Then we did again. Now we need one for O-6. Standing by for next pendulum swing.
ACSC is no different.  And if you think senior raters are really following CSAF guidance when they decide what they value in a person going up for promotion, I challenge you to look at how many things were made optional that they still insist on doing month after month. 

This.

I don’t trust the AF when it comes to masking/unmasking. Unless you’re a made man, the bottom 90% is generally hard to differentiate. Senior rater endorsement has to carry considerable weight at the central boards. Enough to put you over the cutline? I don’t know. But it’s naive to think the SR doesn’t have easy discriminators like in-correspondence completion or AAD to stratify folks.

So, if O-5 is part of your plan, then you skip ACSC at your own risk. Even if you consider it worthless.

E's preach about the importance of a CCAF. I had a SNCO call another SNCO out for not having a CCAF. Go to Google and tell them you have your CCAF and you want them to hire you. I talked to the SNCO about the importance of leading and solving problems, but internally I kept feeling just like this in regard to the significance of a CCAF: 

tenor (2).gif

Edited by Shazaam
  • Like 1

I’ll go to Google and tell them I’m a Weapons School graduate and want them to hire me. Think they’ll give a shit about that? What about a PJ? I doubt they’d care about his MFF qual or dive bubble. 

I’m not saying CCAF is the same as WIC or anything else, but everything in the military isn’t just a a way to pad your civilian resume. 

And if I worked at Google and some kid that had served honorably in the military for several years and did some professional development like CCAF along the way, I’d be very interested in that person as a candidate vice some guy that’s fresh out of college that knows how to smoke weed and exist through 4 years.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Danger41 said:

And if I worked at Google and some kid that had served honorably in the military for several years and did some professional development like CCAF along the way, I’d be very interested in that person as a candidate vice some guy that’s fresh out of college that knows how to smoke weed and exist through 4 years.

Google isn't going to pay you to sit there and watch their network stay down for hours like in the Air Force. Then said Airman sends out an email 5 hours after the fact to notify everyone. Forgetting, nobody has email access to read it anyway. 😂🤣😂🤣

Additionally, 70% of the men and women between the ages of 18-24 are ineligible to serve because of drug, weight, testing, or criminal issues. The remaining percentage is like a box of chocolates.

I see the reports of Airmen and NCOs who have done marijuana, cocaine, meth, and the list goes on. With states approving the use of marijuana, the military is bracing for a force hooked on marijuana like they experienced around the time of Vietnam. What did the military do back then to clean house? They kicked you out immediately. I was told whole offices were kicked out if they all tested positive.

Edited by Shazaam

40 minutes ago, Shazaam said:

You do realize 70% of the men and women between the ages of 18-24 are ineligible to serve because of drug, weight, testing, or criminal issues?

I see the reports of Airmen and NCOs who have done marijuana, cocaine, meth, and the list goes on. With states approving the use of marijuana, the military is bracing for a force hooked on marijuana like they experienced around the time of Vietnam. What did the military do back then to clean house? They kicked you out immediately. I was told whole offices were kicked out if they all tested positive.

Well, the military has figured out that marijuana is legal in a lot of places.  Marijuana use prior to joining the military is no longer disqualifying, regardless of how many times or how much you used.  They will still kick you out if you use it in uniform...but I wonder how long that will hold up if it becomes legal on a federal level.  I'd hazard a guess that many of us will see marijuana use become like alcohol use in the military...don't use it on duty, but off-duty use will be fine.

Edited by pawnman

Well, the military has figured out that marijuana is legal in a lot of places. 

A few weeks back I was visiting my parents in a state where MJ is legal and after dinner I grabbed for an artisan caramel I saw. Luckily my sister saw me because it was her edible MJ and stopped me.

I’m not sure what I would have done if I had eaten it. Tell the USAF and get screwed or hope I don’t get popped for a drug test.

What would you dudes have done?

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

2 hours ago, bennynova said:

If you get pooped for a urinalysis, isn’t your pee dumped in a batch with everyone else’s?

At that point if there is a failure, they call everyone back again?

also, how long would a chewable caramel even stay in your system?

From promotion to drug use discussion. Thread derailed. Here is a good article. It all depends I guess..https://orderediblesonline.com/how-long-do-edibles-stay-in-your-system/

Edited by Shazaam

3 hours ago, bennynova said:

If you get pooped for a urinalysis, isn’t your pee dumped in a batch with everyone else’s?

At that point if there is a failure, they call everyone back again?

also, how long would a chewable caramel even stay in your system?

It's not tested as a batch.  Each sample is tested individually.

14 hours ago, pawnman said:

It's not tested as a batch.  Each sample is tested individually.

I don't believe it.  I've been tagged twice in a month, and when I showed up the second time it was the same group of guys I shot the shit with a few weeks earlier.

Given how the bean counters love to save a penny it would make sense, especially since the pop rate is relatively low.

On April 27, 2019 at 10:06 AM, pawnman said:

Well, the military has figured out that marijuana is legal in a lot of places.  

Actuall, marijuana is still illegal in the US per federal law.  It's just that the main prosecutors of marijuana use is at the state level, and quite a few states now have legalized recreational marijuana use.

2 hours ago, drewpey said:

I don't believe it.  I've been tagged twice in a month, and when I showed up the second time it was the same group of guys I shot the shit with a few weeks earlier.

Given how the bean counters love to save a penny it would make sense, especially since the pop rate is relatively low.

I think they "randomly" select people who can waste a couple hours without affecting the flying schedule.  I remember being on casual status prior to UPT and having to go pee in a cup three times in one two week period, including back to back days.  Either I was just available, or someone was spreading lies about me.  Same thing happened at my first base after UPT.  I don't get tested for over a year, go DNIF and get tested twice in a week again.