Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

20 hours ago, MDDieselPilot said:

Pretty sure no issue with posting this.. let me know if there is.

LAF 18b.JPG

laf 18b1.JPG

laf18b2.JPG

So in summary, the USAF is CRITICALLY short of pilots and we are going to institute a flying only career path.  HOWEVER, if you are a major who has completed all your squares but did not get the shinny penny DP (because why would they waste it on a fly only guy or girl), then your chance of promotion to Lt Col is only 41%.  Choose wisely my friends.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

The best advice I ever received on AD was from a SQ/CC who is a great dude, pilot, and officer...he was also a HPO on the rocket ship, and he got there without wearing a single knee pad or being anyone's bitch boy.  He is the type of person who the AF should promote to senior leadership, so they got it right at least once.  That all said, here he sat as a HPO SQ/CC with a "bright" future (and he has gone on to do great things), telling me I hit a fork in the road at my UPT commitment.  He painted his career path so far, then what it could be in the guard.  He then unequivocally told me I should without a doubt get off the train at that stop and not be "trapped" into said track like he was.  Best decision I ever made, and I'm thankful every day he gave me that talk early enough that I hadn't made any decisions yet that may have hurt my ARC options.  Bottom line, when a dude like that is saying these things, you're only hurting yourself by not listening...and this was 5 years ago, things have mostly gone downhill since.

• Upvote 1

44 minutes ago, ClearedHot said:

So in summary, the USAF is CRITICALLY short of pilots and we are going to institute a flying only career path.  HOWEVER, if you are a major who has completed all your squares but did not get the shinny penny DP (because why would they waste it on a fly only guy or girl), then your chance of promotion to Lt Col is only 41%.  Choose wisely my friends.

Truer words couldn’t be spoken in this current day. 

3 hours ago, ClearedHot said:

Choose wisely my friends.

The question is still hanging out there: With all the AFI changes out there, is continuation still a thing?

Handgrips are raised, standing by to squeeze triggers. 

(Yes, I’m old and flew the tweet)

58 minutes ago, FourFans130 said:

The question is still hanging out there: With all the AFI changes out there, is continuation still a thing?

You should have received info if they offered you continuation or not when you got your letter saying you didn’t make it for the second time. If you didn’t get anything I’d be asking the mpf what’s up.

Yes it is still a thing I knew of one guy of was offered it and turned it down on the O-4 board. He’s out now and starts training at a regional next month. 

Yeah, as said above it should have been mentioned in the letter if you were 1APZ. You have 60 days to accept. On myPers, under Promotion, then Selective Continuation Information, there’s some general information, then at the bottom a link to the specific 18B Major’s Board for this particular board. That’s where it lists this board’s critical skills, such as all pilots, a couple of CSO’s, engineers, and a few others like folks in degree programs. Those are the folks that are supposed to be offered 24 years, everyone else just 20. However, I fall in two of those critical buckets and my letters only said 20 and everyone’s trying to figure out why. Yes letters, because I got one from my previous Wing CC, one from AFIT, and one from the ROTC Det CC at the school where I’m attached to while in school! And yeah, the 20 versus 24 matters because I’m trying to make sure they don’t kick me out of the PhD program if I’m continued to 20!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Like 1

What is the DP vs P spread at each rating period? I assume unlimited P, is there a threshold for how many DP are available? I.e., a squadron has 10 O-4s, does that mean only one, two, etc? 

It’s based on the senior rater, not squadron. Most senior raters are Wing Commanders, sometimes Group Commanders. At MAJCOM level they are usually the respective A1/2/3 directors.

75 is normal for O-4 (before the 100% era) and 50-55 for O-5.

Senior raters get DPs based on how many ITZ they have. If the result is say 2.5, the SR gets 2, and the .5 goes back to the MLR and they add all the .5s together from around the MAJCOM to determine how many ML DPs there are. Then they have a knife fight to award those DPs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

Some good changes coming wrt PRFs and OPRs outta Corona.... the table was slapped, but the timeline wasn't determined, so hold on to your butts.

1. Two line PRFs. It was determined through survey that the majority of board and MLR members use the top and bottom lines to make their determination.... So they're moving on that - two lines is all you get. If you've seen the form for command consideration, it's similar. Line 1: this dude is great because reasons. Line 2: #x of XX, absolutely promote etc. 

2. Strats on OPRs are going away (like EPRs) - instead they are replaced with a by-commander recorded top-middle-bottom designation (or like the army, above, in, below center of mass), with a redesign of the form. Commanders ratings of their people will be tracked, so they only get X amount of each rating and if commanders are grading heavier or too light that will be recorded and reported at THEIR next promotion board... Undetermined: timeline for implementation, mainly because this style of rating is going to drive toward rating all of each rank at the same time, which is going to cause thrash as it did on the E side.

Chuck

• Like 3
  • Upvote 3

Best way to implement static close outs would be with young ranks and let it permeate up and phase out as the majors and above get out.  

Inalready have 15 years of old system.  Seems too late to change

I just want to stop writing my own OPRs since I’m passed over enough times to never get promoted again. Because that would be better that the waste of text that they are with no push line since they’ll never get me promoted.
  • Upvote 2

5 minutes ago, ThreeHoler said:

I just want to stop writing my own OPRs since I’m passed over enough times to never get promoted again. Because that would be better that the waste of text that they are with no push line since they’ll never get me promoted.

While that would be perfect for most of us in a perfect world. However how can we write your/our retirement dec without all the fodder from the opr’s? 

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, cragspider said:

While that would be perfect for most of us in a perfect world. However how can we write your/our retirement dec without all the fodder from the opr’s? 

The same way we get the fodder for the OPRs.

1 hour ago, cragspider said:

Are You Serious Clark Christmas Vacation GIF - AreYouSeriousClark Clark ChristmasVacation GIFs

Man, I hope you're kidding, otherwise I must be way out on the bell curve if that's what I'm supposed to worry about.  I don't GAF what's on my retirement dec.  I hope it says, "Did some cool shit.  Learned a lot and improved what he could.  Still married.  Loves his kids.  Good luck."  I guess that wouldn't get past CCE, huh?

• Like 1

7 hours ago, nunya said:

Are You Serious Clark Christmas Vacation GIF - AreYouSeriousClark Clark ChristmasVacation GIFs

Man, I hope you're kidding, otherwise I must be way out on the bell curve if that's what I'm supposed to worry about.  I don't GAF what's on my retirement dec.  I hope it says, "Did some cool shit.  Learned a lot and improved what he could.  Still married.  Loves his kids.  Good luck."  I guess that wouldn't get past CCE, huh?

Crew reports sarcasm detector inop. Mx R2 and it checks normal. 

Yes I’m joking. Im at the point in my career now that I don’t care what’s on the opr anymore.  Sadly the careerist will care still so this train must move on. 

17 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

Just turn it in blank, like your PRF.

5 hours ago, pawnman said:

Just turn it in blank, like your PRF.

Technically, non-compliance can be punished. Just write crazy shit into your OPR and see how many times they kick it back before they get frustrated and do it themselves. Then do that same thing year after year until they learn their lesson.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, joe1234 said:

Technically, non-compliance can be punished. Just write crazy shit into your OPR and see how many times they kick it back before they get frustrated and do it themselves. Then do that same thing year after year until they learn their lesson.

Non-compliance with...the AFI?  Because the AFI is pretty clear that you shouldn't be writing your own OPR anyway.  So if you're already passed over and running out the clock on retirement, go ahead and fight that battle.  What are they going to do...pass you over again?

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, joe1234 said:

Personal experience?