Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

13 hours ago, Duck said:

Any chance that this pushes to the right far enough that the new promotion rules kick in? I have a couple friends who are once passed over Majors on the bonus ADSC looking to bail. Since the new NDAA gets rid of up or out that would screw them big time.

Unpopular opinion... But if you took the bonus and the accompanying ADSC, you knew what you were signing up for. I'd personally be all for forcing folks with an ADSC for the bonus to serve it the remainder, regardless of promotion results.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Duck said:

Any chance that this pushes to the right far enough that the new promotion rules kick in? I have a couple friends who are once passed over Majors on the bonus ADSC looking to bail. Since the new NDAA gets rid of up or out that would screw them big time.

What are you talking about?  What are the new promotion rules?

My understanding is that the new NDAA mostly handed over the rules to the DoD versus them being in Federal code. So yes there is no law now requiring up or out but the my understanding is that the DoD has to draft new guidance and they could choose to keep it.

https://www.military.com/militaryadvantage/2018/08/15/what-hidden-deep-2019-defense-bill-affects-you.html

I just read this article that stated up or out is basically repealed and that it would be up to the Service Secretaries. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything. I know several O-4 bonus or late-rate guys with airline jobs lined up expecting the second Passover and release to happen in the next 2 months.

2 hours ago, Duck said:

https://www.military.com/militaryadvantage/2018/08/15/what-hidden-deep-2019-defense-bill-affects-you.html

I just read this article that stated up or out is basically repealed and that it would be up to the Service Secretaries. Just wondering if anyone had heard anything. I know several O-4 bonus or late-rate guys with airline jobs lined up expecting the second Passover and release to happen in the next 2 months.

Fixed. The. Glitch. 

Along the lines of up or out going away, is anyone hearing anything about why this board is at the CJCS? Is it like the last Majors board where they are promoting a bunch of APZ guys. One the upside, at least I can laugh that I will be gettting my notification for the next board and my results from this board the same week.

19 hours ago, pawnman said:

Unpopular opinion... But if you took the bonus and the accompanying ADSC, you knew what you were signing up for. I'd personally be all for forcing folks with an ADSC for the bonus to serve it the remainder, regardless of promotion results.

This is more complicated then simply retaining officers after two failures to promote. Congressional end strength numbers need to be considered; which means retaining passed over FGOs would have a trickle down effect, prolonging the years spent as a captain until a vacancy at the O-4 level appears.  Given AFPCs  current track record at planning for end strength I am highly skeptical that they would get this right on the first try.

1 hour ago, Ash said:

This is more complicated then simply retaining officers after two failures to promote. Congressional end strength numbers need to be considered; which means retaining passed over FGOs would have a trickle down effect, prolonging the years spent as a captain until a vacancy at the O-4 level appears.  Given AFPCs  current track record at planning for end strength I am highly skeptical that they would get this right on the first try.

They will just go back to doing PRFs and kicking out the bottom 10% of captains

• Like 2

On 9/8/2018 at 2:10 PM, Ash said:

Given how fast senior captains and FGOs are bailing, I think we'll have some time before this becomes a problem.  We're already shifting boards left due to the number of unfilled FGO slots.  Step one would just be to move them back to the right, where they were historically for the past decade.

On 9/8/2018 at 8:04 AM, ruckerstud said:

Along the lines of up or out going away, is anyone hearing anything about why this board is at the CJCS? Is it like the last Majors board where they are promoting a bunch of APZ guys. One the upside, at least I can laugh that I will be gettting my notification for the next board and my results from this board the same week.

^great question....was wondering this same thing myself

• Like 1

On 9/16/2018 at 3:25 PM, MooseClub said:

^great question....was wondering this same thing myself

I'm wondering if I should get to work on my PRF. At least there won't be a ton of new info to add, since there's no way I'll get another OPR between now and the March board date.

6 minutes ago, sirjrod00 said:

Has anyone been notified yet? If not, when will Sq/CC’s get access to the list?

Installation-specific when it’s released to SQ/CCs. Typically day-prior in order to enable notification to those who didn’t make it. 

Most should have prior to the weekend in order to tell their folks.   Nothing worse than having to wait the entire weekend to find out and not be able to celebrate or get over a let down over a long weekend

Honestly these days it's more of a celebrate or celebrate type situation

13 minutes ago, bennynova said:

Were you even competitive for 2bpz?

I too am 2bpz.   Only 10% of BPZ got DPs.   1/3 of those are promoted on average, plus/minus 

1-star boss told me I had a chance but came away from the MLR with a P so I knew I had no shot.  Same thing for 1BPZ for me most likely -- I'm at a joint command where strats are tough to come by.  Was trading on a couple Wing #1s for 2BPZ and my record will not improve by the next board so at this point...in the zone is more than okay with me.  Heading to IDE In Res next year....assume the school MLR is pretty friendly for IPZ?