Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

1 hour ago, FUSEPLUG said:

Fine then... post Mike’s PRF.  I’m seriously going to need to plagiarize it. 

Joking aside, I’m sorry I misunderstood your post.  If a guy doesn’t want to do it then no one should make him do it. If it’s half-assed he has no one to blame but himself.  As a supervisor you need to make that clear to Mike.  

This isn’t a new game where the ratee writes his own OPR/PRF/RIF paperwork.

No worries. Just never seen this type of attitude before from someone. Sure, I could have taught a PRF class, but in March we were told no PRFs for these folks. And I provided everyone with a good example template. I know some of our old heads here thinks a person shouldn't write their own PRF. I don't mind writing it for someone and I'm not Mike's supervisor. Just a Wing Snacko..lol

Edited by HarleyQuinn
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, jazzdude said:

And this is why the cycle never breaks.

I have received "writing mentorship" exactly once in 12 years as to why what I put on a draft OPR was changed. Outside of that, changes were made with no explanation as to why.

How can a supervisor know if they're missing anything? How about one of the mandatory counseling/performance feedback sessions everyone marks as doing that never really gets done? Or reviewing a draft with the ratee before sending it up the chain to make sure nothing got missed?

I will grudgingly write my own reports, but when you step back and think about it, it's absolutely ridiculous, and we just do it because that's how it's always been.

I've pinged my leadership every time something got changed.  All of them welcomed it and I got insight into the writing process.  This included going to the Group/CC when he changed stuff and resulted in me getting an amazing job opportunity.

Fight for what you want.

20 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

Mike: Why do I have to write my own PRF? AFI states blah blah blah. 

Me: Few options here. 1. Just don't submit one. Be that guy to take one for the team to prove your point. 2. Talk to the boss. 3. File a complaint with IG. Then I explain how it acts as a mentorship process. Bros teaching bros how the process works and what a promotion board is looking for and how to write a good PRF. The Sq Exec, Gp/DS, Deputy OG/CC, and OG/CC will take care of the rest. You know your record better than anyone else. Would suck if CC wrote your PRF and totally missed a DG because it wasn't included in a TR or OPR, but was located in an MFR you have. Last thing you want is a PRF you don't like at all.  This isn't a support squadron where there is one officer under the CC. 

A few guys here at BODN and some mentors provided me with feedback on my first PRF. Thing was money for major! Even for Lt Col board PRF party people had great things to say. So thanks BODN.

Thoughts on numbnuts who doesn't want to write his PRF?

For my 1 BPZ board to O-5, the O-6 for my MAJCOM directorate found out I was "providing well-formatted inputs" into my PRF.  My div chief got chewed out.

So, lesson learned.  For my IPZ board, I merely provided my signed 1 BPZ PRF to my Sq/CC.  He probably added a few things and passed up to the group.  I didn't see it until it came back signed from the Wg/CC (not personally...hand delivered from the Exec) significantly watered down from my 1 BPZ.

Lo and behold, I was passed over.

1 APZ:  moved on to a joint job.  Took my 1 BPZ PRF, updated with some accomplishments from the past two OPRs, made a few adjustments and spoon fed to my Army supervisor.  It made it up the chain nearly unmolested.  No DP, but got picked up anyway (also wrote a letter to the board, but that is another story).

Going forward, If I'm ever in the position to have input into a subordinate's PRF, I, 1) do not intend to make them do their own, and 2), will not do it myself without giving them a heads up on what I'm putting down.

My lesson learned:  write your own stuff.  Make rank.  Fix it when you get there.  But, maybe I'm a bad person.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Weezer said:

For my 1 BPZ board to O-5, the O-6 for my MAJCOM directorate found out I was "providing well-formatted inputs" into my PRF.  My div chief got chewed out.

So, lesson learned.  For my IPZ board, I merely provided my signed 1 BPZ PRF to my Sq/CC.  He probably added a few things and passed up to the group.  I didn't see it until it came back signed from the Wg/CC (not personally...hand delivered from the Exec) significantly watered down from my 1 BPZ.

Lo and behold, I was passed over.

1 APZ:  moved on to a joint job.  Took my 1 BPZ PRF, updated with some accomplishments from the past two OPRs, made a few adjustments and spoon fed to my Army supervisor.  It made it up the chain nearly unmolested.  No DP, but got picked up anyway (also wrote a letter to the board, but that is another story).

Going forward, If I'm ever in the position to have input into a subordinate's PRF, I, 1) do not intend to make them do their own, and 2), will not do it myself without giving them a heads up on what I'm putting down.

My lesson learned:  write your own stuff.  Make rank.  Fix it when you get there.  But, maybe I'm a bad person.

And you are talking about one subordinate. Try 6-10 officers for one CC. Nobody has all that time in the world to crank out PRFs unless you are a snacko.

1 hour ago, bennynova said:

6 to 10?? 

Easy.  

Easy to crank out.  Tougher to do the stupid bullet checker in Excel, then edit, then re-edit, then edit the bullet-checker to match the edits to the PRF...

• Upvote 1

And you are talking about one subordinate. Try 6-10 officers for one CC. Nobody has all that time in the world to crank out PRFs unless you are a snacko.

That’s what ADOs are for.
  • Upvote 2

20 hours ago, Guardian said:

Let’s hear the other story

Not glamorous.  Got an LOA (the bad kind) on a deployment for some mostly harmless buffoonery, so came home dec-less. My OPR has already closed out and my next assignment was an AAD gig.  I didn’t think to put deployment bullets in my training report, but, due some creative AFI reading, I got it put into my OPR at the following assignment.

The letter delicately explained why there was an out-of-place bullet in my ROP.  I took the opportunity to attach the LOE/Form 77 from the deployment which had a ton of good stuff.

I don’t know if that made a difference, or the better PRF, but here I am.

Just now, Guardian said:

Ah. Makes sense. Interesting story. Want to exchange LOA stories over a beer?

Not sure it rates anything more than a Natty Lite.

I was going home early (for a year and a half at a sweet civilian grad school).  I had a bayonet for absolutely no good reason.  After my last convoy, in a fit of joy, I mounted it on my weapon and had people throw water bottles up while I tried to catch them.

Pictures were taken.

After I got on the plane home, some dudes got caught in some buffoonery of their own.  They thought if the turned me in, it would save their stripes.

48 minutes ago, Weezer said:

Not sure it rates anything more than a Natty Lite.

I was going home early (for a year and a half at a sweet civilian grad school).  I had a bayonet for absolutely no good reason.  After my last convoy, in a fit of joy, I mounted it on my weapon and had people throw water bottles up while I tried to catch them.

Pictures were taken.

After I got on the plane home, some dudes got caught in some buffoonery of their own.  They thought if the turned me in, it would save their stripes.

Holy shit.

LOA club checking in: do you guys have an exclamation point after 'you are hereby admonished'? Always thought that was rather comical.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Day Man said:

Holy shit.

LOA club checking in: do you guys have an exclamation point after 'you are hereby admonished'? Always thought that was rather comical.

Screen shot or it never happened.  I'm sure leadership was more than happy to sink your ass.  I say that with all of the best intentions. If I were to guess, the guys who signed that LOA had minimal experience in the 17. Just a guess based on the WG and OG CC's I had in AMC/AETC.  

3 hours ago, Day Man said:

Holy shit.

Per the usual.  I think it has to be in there or it doesn’t hold up in court.

8 hours ago, Ram said:

No more ADOs in the CAF.

I’m at a certain PACAF fighter base where every FGO in the OG is either a DO or CC, and we are sub-80% manned.

Checks. Our FTU just sent our last DO to school. He was a major from the '06 year group.

4 minutes ago, snoopyeast said:

Plus the SQ execs are Lts, so no need to study the jet or tactics. 

True story, although when you can’t do a steep turn without stalling because decreasing UPT/FTU syllabus gives us dudes without the simple things like a crosscheck...maybe tactics are a bridge too far. 

Anecdote: our weapons shop are all brand new LTs aside from the patch(es). Keeps it interesting. 

• Like 1

The other patches are all up exec-ing at the group and wing.    I've been TDY to three wings this year and all of them had a patch as the wing exec.   

How does that qualify as their required tiered jobs? What a waste!
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Skitzo said:

How does that qualify as their required tiered jobs? What a waste!

Definitely doesn’t, but MAJCOM/A3 is apparently more worried about career progression on paper.

C7B15F71-A665-4C99-AB04-801290CF2B01.thumb.png.b90a119a78ba3889ba5ddb27f14b37ed.png

7 hours ago, SurelySerious said:

True story, although when you can’t do a steep turn without stalling because decreasing UPT/FTU syllabus gives us dudes without the simple things like a crosscheck...maybe tactics are a bridge too far. 

Anecdote: our weapons shop are all brand new LTs aside from the patch(es). Keeps it interesting. 

Hell, at least those LTs are learning something.

8 hours ago, snoopyeast said:

Well, there are still ADOs.   They're just mid level captains nowadays.  Plus the SQ execs are Lts, so no need to study the jet or tactics. 

For the love of god, can the CSAF just come out and straight up ban the use of a pilot as an executive officer and call it fraud, waste and abuse?  Go back to having MPF officers sit exec.  Heck they would do a better job.  

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1