Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

30 minutes ago, pawnman said:

Hard to say. Wings told the last group to write them as well.

I say, have them written!  Why pass up an opportunity to churn out more queep as an exercise in true AF leadership.  I have found that squadron/group/wing execs and CSS personnel are far too focused on things like flying, personal lives, and spending time with their families.  They need the PRF practice.

Then, after the PRFs are completed by every management level, burn them to the ground. Maybe we should instead just trust the wing commanders.  PRFs are unnecessary waste, and our top managers can use some bullets saying they saved man hours, even though said man hours have already been spent on the burned PRFs.  Screw it. Engineer the bullets for our time-saving overlords anyway and earn them another star!

Then, the board can completely disregard the wing commanders. Damn. Those PRFs would have been useful since we now have to sift through thousands of records because we have decided that a faceless board of bureaucrats is a vastly better entity to judge an officer than a silly local commander.  In any case, since we burned the PRFs and don’t trust commanders, we have to review the records for 6-9 stimulating months.  But hey - extra queep for management!  Im convinced this practice queep makes us a more lethal Air Force. Everyone wins!

• Like 4

PRFs should have four lines for the senior rater to fill out.

1.  This candidate meets all eligibility requirements for promotion.  YES/NO  (no requires mandatory comment)

2.  I have reviewed this candidates record and found no derogatory information.  YES/NO (no is mandatory comment)

3.  Strat.  My #______/________ for this board.

4.  DP/P/DNP

Everything else the PRF communicates is already captured in the promotion record.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 3

Can someone explain the logic behind forcing someone to submit a PRF knowing damn well they plan on retiring or separating? I keep getting asked are you ready for retirement? I respond, "Why yes, yes I am." It's a waste of peoples time to submit a PRF for Lt Col when you obviously don't care about promotion. If they took away the ACSC via correspondence requirement, I might consider the possibility. I thought about writing a letter like Duck did to the promotion board, but with some flare added. 

Promotion Board,

"I feel bullied by my Wing and Group CCs because of having to write a mandatory PRF when I have other plans with my life. If officers don't want to be O-5s, just look in a mirror as to the reason why."

In today's AF, your feelings and being bullied matters. LoL

Can someone explain the logic behind forcing someone to submit a PRF knowing damn well they plan on retiring or separating? I keep getting asked are you ready for retirement? I respond, "Why yes, yes I am." It's a waste of peoples time to submit a PRF for Lt Col when you obviously don't care about promotion. If they took away the ACSC via correspondence requirement, I might consider the possibility. I thought about writing a letter like Duck did to the promotion board, but with some flare added. 

Promotion Board,

"I feel bullied by my Wing and Group CCs because of having to write a mandatory PRF when I have other plans with my life. If officers don't want to be O-5s, just look in a mirror as to the reason why."

If I were your CC, I'd tell you to simply not do it. What's the worst they could do to you? You're right, it makes no sense and you shouldn't waste your time. In your shoes, I would ignore it. You shouldn't be writing your own PRF anyway, so just call them on it!

Promotion Board,

I know with an approved Date of Sep and still meeting promo board timing, the Wg submitted a blank PRF with no recommendation. This was 3 yrs ago though, not sure how it would work in the sweet new system.

Promotion Board,

You sound really ing whiny.
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ThreeHoler said:

You sound really ing whiny.

Relax, I was joking here "I feel bullied by my Wing and Group CCs because of having to write a mandatory PRF when I have other plans with my life. In today's AF, your feelings and being bullied matters. LoL"

Its not that hard. Besides, your not supposed to write your PRF. As I was retiring, I told execs nay to the PRF inputs, when fired right back that they would do it as ordered. I recommeded blank out of the unit.  It worked... for about a week.  I told execs to be very creative and have lots of fun.  It was a keeper and proud of the cheekiness displayed.  The one liner that the HHQ sent up was hilarious in that they misused "there" ilo "their record." 

For final OPR, it was less than 6 months and I didnt care and convinced the chain that I didnt want one. That way when they try to non-vol unretire me, they'll see the glitch which will overload, trip, and hang up the machine till it tosses me aside and moves on. 

Ahh, good ol days

Out

15 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

So nobody has any gouge on whether or not PRFs will be required for the next LAF majors board?

None at this nook of the circus.  See how much of a clown show the 09 board was? Expect similar incompetency! Most likely your leadership will have you write them anyways awaiting further guidance.  

4 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

Was anyone else a little surprised by the stats on RAW?

The stats make sense to me.  The AF stated that they were going to use a 100% promotion "opportunity", and the numbers pretty much reflect folks having had a 100% opportunity.  I would imagine that the only folks that did not promote would be those that a.) were submitted as "Do Not Promote", b.) asked to not be promoted, or c.) had significant Quality Force Indicators (QFI).  Overall, only 4.3% of Captains that met the board (38 IPZ and 77 APZ) did not get selected for promotion.  Furthermore, as someone above posted, some folks that had QFI may still have a chance to be selected for promotion, pending a review by the SecAF or other entities. 

Mike: Why do I have to write my own PRF? AFI states blah blah blah. 

Me: Few options here. 1. Just don't submit one. Be that guy to take one for the team to prove your point. 2. Talk to the boss. 3. File a complaint with IG. Then I explain how it acts as a mentorship process. Bros teaching bros how the process works and what a promotion board is looking for and how to write a good PRF. The Sq Exec, Gp/DS, Deputy OG/CC, and OG/CC will take care of the rest. You know your record better than anyone else. Would suck if CC wrote your PRF and totally missed a DG because it wasn't included in a TR or OPR, but was located in an MFR you have. Last thing you want is a PRF you don't like at all.  This isn't a support squadron where there is one officer under the CC. 

A few guys here at BODN and some mentors provided me with feedback on my first PRF. Thing was money for major! Even for Lt Col board PRF party people had great things to say. So thanks BODN.

Thoughts on numbnuts who doesn't want to write his PRF?

Edited by HarleyQuinn

1 minute ago, FUSEPLUG said:

Post your PRF.  We’d all be happy to give our thoughts. And I’ll likely steal a couple of lines in a couple of years because no one in the Guard seems to fact-check this shit. 

I want your knowledge on the dude who refuses to write his PRF.

Just now, HarleyQuinn said:

I want your knowledge on the dude who refuses to write his PRF.

Fine then... post Mike’s PRF.  I’m seriously going to need to plagiarize it. 

Joking aside, I’m sorry I misunderstood your post.  If a guy doesn’t want to do it then no one should make him do it. If it’s half-assed he has no one to blame but himself.  As a supervisor you need to make that clear to Mike.  

This isn’t a new game where the ratee writes his own OPR/PRF/RIF paperwork.

• Like 1

And this is why the cycle never breaks.

I have received "writing mentorship" exactly once in 12 years as to why what I put on a draft OPR was changed. Outside of that, changes were made with no explanation as to why.

How can a supervisor know if they're missing anything? How about one of the mandatory counseling/performance feedback sessions everyone marks as doing that never really gets done? Or reviewing a draft with the ratee before sending it up the chain to make sure nothing got missed?

I will grudgingly write my own reports, but when you step back and think about it, it's absolutely ridiculous, and we just do it because that's how it's always been.

• Like 1