Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

Anyone know how to press to test to see if they are dumb enough to pay me Separation Pay for non-continuation?

46 minutes ago, Duck said:

Sooooo... I just got off the phone with Officer Promotions at AFPC and I was not offered continuation. Now I don’t know what’s next. What does that mean other than a mandatory Separation on 30 Nov?

That means you just won the lottery, congrats. You're now authorized involuntary separation pay. It's a percentage of your base pay, I don't remember if it's 75% or 100%, it should be google-able though. Also I believe you get TAMP (6 months Tricare) for being involuntarily separated too.

3 minutes ago, Duck said:

Anyone know how to press to test to see if they are dumb enough to pay me Separation Pay for non-continuation?

It's federal law, so they'd be wise to pay out.

Edited by Waingro

It's federal law, so they'd be wise to pay out.

The caveat in the regs though is that if you caused your non-selection based on correspondence with the board, you aren’t eligible. My first board, I know that my PRF caused my non-selection, but this last board, it was obviously my letter. I don’t think I’m authorized, but figured since they non-continued me, I would at least try.

The caveat in the regs though is that if you caused your non-selection based on correspondence with the board, you aren’t eligible. My first board, I know that my PRF caused my non-selection, but this last board, it was obviously my letter. I don’t think I’m authorized, but figured since they non-continued me, I would at least try.

If they do pay it in error, they'll come after you later. Not worth it IMHO.
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Duck said:

That's interesting. I'd be curious to see in what way they document that fact in your records going forward. Is it noted anywhere that your letter was explicitly what caused your non-selection? If I was in your shoes with $69,000 on the line, I'd at least make DFAS tell you no.

• Like 2

That's interesting. I'd be curious to see in what way they document that fact in your records going forward. Is it noted anywhere that your letter was explicitly what caused your non-selection? If I was in your shoes with $69,000 on the line, I'd at least make DFAS tell you no.

Yeah, that’s what I am wondering. Is it coded a certain way or whatever. If there isn’t a code or it’s not flagged then... worth a try.

Well I got the word from my old boss, which is interesting since I left that org over a month ago.  

EDIT - New boss called t0o.  This was the final requirement for "retiring happy."  It's all gravy from here.

Edited by 17D_guy

Duck, If you draw a guard/reserve retirement and/or any disability they will take the 69k back. Separately, for anyone contemplating Duck’s ADSC Grand Slam strategy I think the move away from PRFs has closed that loophole. I wrote the letter, still got promoted. Maybe others had different results?

• Like 1

Duck - the details will be in your non select paperwork from MPF. 

Also you get six six months of TAMP regardless if you get offered continuation and decline or are not offered it at all. 

Did you get this paperwork on the public release date? I went by our FSS and talked to Promotions and Separations. Both of them acted like they had no clue what I was talking about. It’s almost like no one had ever separated from my base... lol

True. However not your problem. If you don’t know that to be the case 100% then I would press to test and then make someone else tell you no.

Put it in some low risk interest bearing account. Can’t go wrong if you don’t spend it.

Why did you write the letter in the first place? If it was in order to get non-continued so you could (no pun intended) duck out of your ADSC then you are not entitled to pay. If you try to get paid anyway then you are committing fraud. If the letter was to clarify derogatory info then it wouldn't be the reason you got non-selected (the derog would be the reason). In that case, you get the money. Why the confusion?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

23 minutes ago, Broke said:

Why did you write the letter in the first place? If it was in order to get non-continued so you could (no pun intended) duck out of your ADSC then you are not entitled to pay. If you try to get paid anyway then you are committing fraud. If the letter was to clarify derogatory info then it wouldn't be the reason you got non-selected (the derog would be the reason). In that case, you get the money. Why the confusion?

Nice. Going straight to fraud. I figured someone on here would go there eventually. Here's the deal, if you actually read the reg, it is 100% not up to me to decide what caused my non-selection. For my first board, it was the fact that my SR gave me a blank PRF and on my second board, I didn't decide to non-continue me... pretty sure that was the AFs doing. Its not my role to "file for Involuntary Separation Pay", I am simply asking how they determine who gets involuntary sep pay when THE AF DECIDES to non-continue someone. 

Wait, why in the hell am I arguing with a full grown man in a Buz Lightyear costume?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Broke said:

Why did you write the letter in the first place? If it was in order to get non-continued so you could (no pun intended) duck out of your ADSC then you are not entitled to pay. If you try to get paid anyway then you are committing fraud

Oh snap, BODN/JA is in the house. Log off everyone or you will be hit with court martial duty if you don't.

Edited by HarleyQuinn

16 minutes ago, Duck said:

Nice. Going straight to fraud. I figured someone on here would go there eventually. Here's the deal, if you actually read the reg, it is 100% not up to me to decide what caused my non-selection. For my first board, it was the fact that my SR gave me a blank PRF and on my second board, I didn't decide to non-continue me... pretty sure that was the AFs doing. Its not my role to "file for Involuntary Separation Pay", I am simply asking how they determine who gets involuntary sep pay when THE AF DECIDES to non-continue someone. 

Wait, why in the hell am I arguing with a full grown man in a Buz Lightyear costume?

I didn't go straight to fraud. I asked what the letter said. If a person straight up said "don't promote" me, then turned around and tried to get invol sep then that person is committing fraud (i.e. the "hope nobody notices" comment from a third party above). The content of the letter is relevant to the discussion as is your intent in pursuing the separation pay. That's why I asked a question and followed up with several "if, then" statements. This is decidedly different from making an accusation. 

2 minutes ago, HarleyQuinn said:

BODN/JA in the house. Log off everyone....you will be hit with court martial duty if you don't.

Wait...what? 

In what universe is trying to get money from someone that you know you are not entitled to not fraud? That's literally the definition of "defraud". And I didn't accuse him of doing it. He literally said "Anyone know how to press to test to see if they are dumb enough to pay me Separation Pay for non-continuation?"

How am I the a-hole here?

I didn't go straight to fraud. I asked what the letter said. If a person straight up said "don't promote" me, then turned around and tried to get invol sep then that person is committing fraud (i.e. the "hope nobody notices" comment from a third party above). The content of the letter is relevant to the discussion as is your intent in pursuing the separation pay. That's why I asked a question and followed up with several "if, then" statements. This is decidedly different from making an accusation. 

Yeah, except that’s not what the reg says. You can write a letter requesting to be passed over. The letter alone doesn’t do anything. The BOARD determines if the letter caused your non-selection or not or if your record was going to be a non-select anyways. If your letter caused it, then no you aren’t entitled. I don’t think it matters in my case anyway because I am assuming my second letter will be the “determining” factor in the second board. I don’t know why asking if I am eligible for involuntary separation pay through official AF channels is equivalent to trying to commit fraud... and if I could somehow trick the AF to give me $69,000 when they won’t even pay out my $200 travel voucher, then damn, I’m better than I thought.

• Upvote 1

Read 10 USC 1174. Submitting a “do not promote me letter” is enough to lose your eligibility for Separation Pay. The letter does not have to be the reason the Board chose not to select you.

4 hours ago, Duck said:

Did you get this paperwork on the public release date? I went by our FSS and talked to Promotions and Separations. Both of them acted like they had no clue what I was talking about. It’s almost like no one had ever separated from my base... lol

It’s like PCS’s or deployments, you are probably the first from that base. So you will have to bear with them as they figure it out

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 2