Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

11 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

Then why the F did the AF give WG/CCs discretion?  Maybe a WG/CC could be in a better place to analyze an individual with negative indicators and make a more informed decision about their potential to perform at the next rank.

I ask again.... just why in hell did we get rid of PRFs if they are going to go though everyone’s records more thoroughly?

Good hell, who is running this clown show?

Same reason we give them discretion in assigning the DPs and Ps in the first place, then overturn them at the board when someone else, with no personal contact, decides the records don't support what the WG/CC is seeing.

I don't know why we don't just get rid of the DPs and Ps entirely if the board isn't even going to take them into consideration.

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

Same reason we give them discretion in assigning the DPs and Ps in the first place, then overturn them at the board when someone else, with no personal contact, decides the records don't support what the WG/CC is seeing.

How do you "overturn" a recommendation?

I don't know why we don't just get rid of the DPs and Ps entirely if the board isn't even going to take them into consideration.

So because a couple recent O-5 boards had a few guys with a DP get non-selected, the board now doesn't take DPs vs Ps into consideration?

Read my post on this issue from a couple weeks ago--I understand some of the frustration and agree that the promotion process can always use some improvements, but using nonsense to make your point does not add credibility to your argument.

As for what's going on with the recent O-4 board, I have no idea. I think it's poor form to not release some info as to why there is a delay but I bet SRs already know the reason.  The SRs knew well before the official release that there was going to be "100% promotion opportunity to Major" (or whatever they called it).

15 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

Then why the F did the AF give WG/CCs discretion?  Maybe a WG/CC could be in a better place to analyze an individual with negative indicators and make a more informed decision about their potential to perform at the next rank.

I ask again.... just why in hell did we get rid of PRFs if they are going to go though everyone’s records more thoroughly?

Good hell, who is running this clown show?

That's a very good question.  Never said any of this made any sense.  

On 6/4/2018 at 5:46 AM, SocialD said:

If not, you'll likely be promoted to Major ASAP after transferring into the ANG.  This can depend on the state as some states make all their Captains ROPMA, which I will never understand...talk about fucking your people over.  

Truth, we'll hire you Duck, captains are almost free to hire in the ANG.

• Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 5:27 AM, The_Vandall said:

Wild speculation here, but this is an opportunity for the AF to separate non-deployable and ALC-C coded folks without MEB'ing or re-MEB'ing them.  To separate someone solely based upon their medical status requires an MEB, but it's certainly possible to not promote someone based upon their medical status.  If a service twice non-selects someone, they can then force them to separate through Title 10, Section 632.  Typically, medical status is not directly considered during the promotion board (though it could be indirectly considered if a person's medical status prevents them from deploying).  Just speculation, but the DoD's Universal Retention Policy ("Deploy or Get Out") was released roughly a week before the board results made it to the SecAF (14 Feb and 21 Feb, respectively).

I know how to fight this, if it happens to anyone (and I'm able) post it and I can let the correct people know.

• Like 1

Did some searching on Air Force Portal and clicked on the promotion section.  If you click on the PDF that lists the promotion increments for Maj it says that the first increment for the 09 Maj group will be 213 folks.  If thats the case then that means the total promoted is ~2343 for the 09 Maj board.  The 08 Maj board only promoted 2096.   

54992395732__330F8B00-9101-4EB4-B8E3-C03F20F126C5.jpg

Edited by Chromedome

Did some searching on Air Force Portal and clicked on the promotion section.  If you click on the PDF that lists the promotion increments for Maj it says that the first increment for the 09 Maj group will be 213 folks.  If thats the case then that means the total promoted is ~2343 for the 09 Maj board.  The 08 Maj board only promoted 2096.   

54992395732__330F8B00-9101-4EB4-B8E3-C03F20F126C5.jpg.e239f338f7c079ebfd59b3a8ddd09ee7.jpg

That’s a good thought, except I don’t think you can draw too many conclusions from that number. The ‘07 guys we’re promoting at a rate of 250ish a month if I remember correctly. Although if that’s the case, I think 2,343 would be damn near 100%.

30 minutes ago, Duck said:

That’s a good thought, except I don’t think you can draw too many conclusions from that number. The ‘07 guys we’re promoting at a rate of 250ish a month if I remember correctly. Although if that’s the case, I think 2,343 would be damn near 100%.

Yeah, i tried to see how many folks competed last year but they haven't posted the 08 stats yet, the 07 stats had about ~2400 who went up to the board.  Thats including the APZ folks.  

Edited by Chromedome
  • Like 1

On 6/4/2018 at 2:05 PM, The_Vandall said:

Correct.  The board has no access to medical status.  The board results though, still need to go to through the HAF, SecAF, and OSD filters.  And yup, just wild speculation/conspiracy theory on my part. 

Indeed.  I've never seen PRDA used as they specify in the promo board PSDM.  I usually don't see my promo board folder uploaded until after the board meets, and they've never posted an "as met" folder in my PRDA. 

Hmm...I've gotten an as-met board for every promotion board (BPZ/IPZ/APZ) and the RIF board since 2013...four total.

13 hours ago, Chromedome said:

Yeah, i tried to see how many folks competed last year but they haven't posted the 08 stats yet, the 07 stats had about ~2400 who went up to the board.  Thats including the APZ folks.  

As of EOM Feb 2018, per AFPC's RAW site, there were 2,395 active duty line captains who hadn't been somehow considered for a board before (there were 69 2009YG captains showing "selected" and 3 showing once deferred...not sure how that happens).  Looking at years groups above, there appear to be about 283 APZ LAF Capts.  So, that looks like a total of about 2,478 I/APZ LAF Capts.

Hmm...I've gotten an as-met board for every promotion board (BPZ/IPZ/APZ) and the RIF board since 2013...four total.

That’s what I was told when I went up for this board. And even got one back in the day when Captains had to have PRFs. Glad I’m not going crazy.

That's messed up. There's a process to separate people for medical reasons, the MEB. The promotion board is not the place to separate people for medical reasons.

True, but to play devil's advocate here, I'm sitting on a couple of individuals waiting on an MEB who should be separated without medical retirement. They are milking the system, and on the civilian side worker's comp investigators would nail these people for fraud. Unfortunately, the DoD is an easy target for people "hurt in the line of duty". Don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, but my recent exposure to the dirtbags makes me wonder just how many people are getting disability money, or were medically retired who don't deserve it. Again, believe me, I get what this job does to the body, but some (lots) people take advantage.
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, slackline said:

True, but to play devil's advocate here, I'm sitting on a couple of individuals waiting on an MEB who should be separated without medical retirement. They are milking the system, and on the civilian side worker's comp investigators would nail these people for fraud. Unfortunately, the DoD is an easy target for people "hurt in the line of duty". Don't want to throw the baby out with the bath water, but my recent exposure to the dirtbags makes me wonder just how many people are getting disability money, or were medically retired who don't deserve it. Again, believe me, I get what this job does to the body, but some (lots) people take advantage.

Yes exactly. I agree w you 110%

Two separate issues.

If they are below average/don't meet (non medical) standards, they should be separated based on job performance. Any service related injuries would be dealt with through the VA.

If they can't meet job performance standards due to medical reasons, well, the MEB should decide if they are good to keep serving and in what capacity, or to medical retire or separate them.

If the air force wants to separate people who are medically non deployable but otherwise meets standards, those people should be separated via an MEB, not by ignoring their performance and putting them on the bottom of the rack and stack based solely on a limiting medical condition.
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Weezer said:

As of EOM Feb 2018, per AFPC's RAW site, there were 2,395 active duty line captains who hadn't been somehow considered for a board before (there were 69 2009YG captains showing "selected" and 3 showing once deferred...not sure how that happens).  Looking at years groups above, there appear to be about 283 APZ LAF Capts.  So, that looks like a total of about 2,478 I/APZ LAF Capts.

Just got word from a friend that the promotion list for 09 Maj board will be sent to senior raters tomorrow.  Promotion release will be 19 June.  

Edited by Chromedome
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 2

24 minutes ago, Chromedome said:

Just got word from a friend that the promotion lost for 09 Maj board will be sent to senior raters tomorrow.  Promotion release will be 19 June.  

2 weeks ahead of release? that normal?

1 hour ago, Chromedome said:

Just got word from a friend that the promotion list for 09 Maj board will be sent to senior raters tomorrow.  Promotion release will be 19 June.  

So if senior raters get the list tomorrow is it common for them to notify folks? 

35 minutes ago, dream big said:

So if senior raters get the list tomorrow is it common for them to notify folks? 

No, not common

It's the time period to draft letters, etc.   the group/CCs will be asking for the results, but most cases won't get it till 4 days prior to public release.   Notification varies

Yes. It has been sent out on the high side in the past to “protect” it but it always gets out. ~Ten business days is standard for every set of O-4 results I’ve seen the past few years.

Do the wings only get their list or do they get the full deal?

If they can't meet job performance standards due to medical reasons, well, the MEB should decide if they are good to keep serving and in what capacity, or to medical retire or separate them.

Gee, thanks. I hadn't thought about that...
  • Haha 1