Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

49 minutes ago, MDDieselPilot said:

Hah.  I completed ACSC in correspondence as a Capt almost a year before I pinned on O4 (we had a kid on the way, overseas PCS coming, and other stuff so wanted to get acsc off my mind). My sq/cc told me I should have completed it the previous calendar year (I finished in jan) so it looked even better on my SURF.  UFB.

I know a guy that was given the exact same "mentoring", completed it the calendar year before O-4 pin-on, PCSed, and then in another "mentoring" session with his new CC was told he needed to bang out ACSC in correspondence to be competitive to go in-res.  That CC didn't even bother to look at the guy's SURF before imparting wisdom.  

All this talk about shoes vs. ops....  we do it to ourselves.  

Edited by Champ Kind

This mindset is feeding the AF machine in a negative way. Rationalizing "worthless" tasks is EXACTLY the reason we are all stuck in this sinking ship.

I am not rationalizing ACSC, I just realize that not doing it would give me a 0% chance of making O-5. If ACSC were completely masked then I would not have bothered with it.

4 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

I am not rationalizing ACSC, I just realize that not doing it would give me a 0% chance of making O-5. If ACSC were completely masked then I would not have bothered with it.

Not a dig at you, But what it’s gonna take is guys acting with conviction and not doing the stupid stuff even if it’s to the detriment of their careers. 

Unless a mass group does that it won’t change. 

• Like 1

Not a dig at you, But what it’s gonna take is guys acting with conviction and not doing the stupid stuff even if it’s to the detriment of their careers. 
Unless a mass group does that it won’t change. 

If all the lemmings start jumping off the cliff I’ll join in, but I’m not going to be the first one committing career suicide.

2 minutes ago, ihtfp06 said:

If all the lemmings start jumping off the cliff I’ll join in, but I’m not going to be the first one committing career suicide.

Fair enough. I’d argue you’re not a lemming if you do what you know is right. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

0% chance?! Damn...

I've been hearing the term "promote to retain" being thrown around.... Just like FUSEPLUG said, I believe attrition will play a major factor in our future promotion boards. All that said, I suppose ill be the first to "commit career suicide".... I stand by my previous comment that ACSC in correspondence is a waste of time.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, IDALPHA said:

0% chance?! Damn...

I've been hearing the term "promote to retain" being thrown around.... Just like FUSEPLUG said, I believe attrition will play a major factor in our future promotion boards. All that said, I suppose ill be the first to "commit career suicide".... I stand by my previous comment that ACSC in correspondence is a waste of time.

I'll be the second guy to support the "Me too career suicide movement." 

Those of you who are SAPR or resiliency appointees can be rest assured I will self report and do my sensitivity CBTs tomorrow morning. 

I’m in the second module and am considering dropping it because it’s pointless. Does anyone know if it is required to promote to O-5 in the guard?

At my last base I knew of reservists who had to retire at O-4 because they didn’t complete it.

31 minutes ago, MooseAg03 said:

I’m in the second module and am considering dropping it because it’s pointless. Does anyone know if it is required to promote to O-5 in the guard?

At my last base I knew of reservists who had to retire at O-4 because they didn’t complete it.

I'd imagine it varies by state. I know that my state generally wants it done prior to ROPMA (~6 years as an O-4).

1 hour ago, HarleyQuinn said:

I'll be the second guy to support the "Me too career suicide movement." 

Those of you who are SAPR or resiliency appointees can be rest assured I will self report and do my sensitivity CBTs tomorrow morning. 

#metoo

AND automatic DNPs for anyone who does it prior to their third look for in res.

Only exempt those who request not to be looked at for in res.

We don’t want people to become commanders who are willing to waste their time... because they will likely be willing to waste everyone else’s too.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, MooseAg03 said:

Yes, at least in the AFRC, lack of ACSC completion is a guaranteed non-promote to O-5. People forego it and retire as O-4s all the time. Leadership is very much still interested in you having all their PME boxes checked in order to be considered for leadership. I don't recall what the difference in retirement pay is for O-5 but for a TR who gets paid at 60 (minus whatever they drew down with MPA) it's probably ballwash. AGR it may be worth pinching your nose and doing it. Can't speak for the guard.

4 hours ago, MooseAg03 said:

Depends upon the state.  I know a Lt Col in another state that did not do SOS or ACSC (golf clap!)...  Then there is my  state, which puts you down as a DNP if you haven't done ACSC.  However, we have had people ROPMA without it, so there's that. 

It can get really muddy when the state doesn't recognize the federal promotion...or something like that.  Another squadron in the state had this happen to a pilot.  From second hand info, he was paid as an O5 but had to wear O4 rank (unless on title 10, lol).  If true, that's what I call 2 birds, one stone!

Like 2020 said, the difference is ballwash, or about $400/month for me.  Due to my enlisted time, even if I promote right away (not likely due to control grade issues), I'd have to stay an extra 2.5 years to retire with a full Lt Col retirement.  Given how quickly the situation is deteriorating in the military, I have zero intention of staying in a day past 20, so it's really not worth it to me.

Edit:  Just opened my email and see my GTC was shut off for non-payment...from a voucher I signed quite a while ago.  Lol, guess I can't go TDY anymore.  The AF is so fucked!  The donut of misery shows ~1,000 days until retirement.

Edited by SocialD

1 hour ago, SocialD said:

Due to my enlisted time, even if I promote right away (not likely due to control grade issues), I'd have to stay an extra 2.5 years to retire with a full Lt Col retirement.  Given how quickly the situation is deteriorating in the military, I have zero intention of staying in a day past 20, so it's really not worth it to me.

Amen. Told my CC I'm not staying a day past 20 years.

I have a bud who is a 17D and he just received his PRF for his IPZ board to Lt Col. He doesn't understand why I refuse to do ACSC. We have very different view points on leadership. I don't believe in being a physical fitness nanny to officers as an FGO. His response was you should make people do a mock fitness test before their actual testing. This will ensure they pass so your CC looks good on the Wing slides.  WTF? I believe in being a good follower and taking care of the CC, but in flying squadrons we aren't in the habit of shaking officer dicks after they piss. 

Edited by HarleyQuinn
  • Like 1

A useless measure in which anyone can pass by simply clicking through and performing at their minimal level is the most ridiculous gauge for leadership. By making ACSC a single point of failure we are invalidating everything else that make up an officer’s career. I totally understand it’s requirement in receiving joint pme credit, although I could argue that as well, but to make it define an officer’s leadership potential is so GD backwards I feel like we are living in bizarro world. I still love what I do in the USAF, but constant measures like this over the last 13 years makes me more and more cynical and I’m tired of it. Sorry for the rant. Longtime reader first time caller. 

• Like 1

On 5/4/2018 at 4:31 AM, HarleyQuinn said:

Amen. Told my CC I'm not staying a day past 20 years.

I have a bud who is a 17D and he just received his PRF for his IPZ board to Lt Col. He doesn't understand why I refuse to do ACSC. We have very different view points on leadership. I don't believe in being a physical fitness nanny to officers as an FGO. His response was you should make people do a mock fitness test before their actual testing. This will ensure they pass so your CC looks good on the Wing slides.  WTF? I believe in being a good follower and taking care of the CC, but in flying squadrons we aren't in the habit of shaking officer dicks after they piss. 

Well, you have to understand that as a 17D, he does not have the same kind of people working for him that you have working for you.  "You're all adults and professionals" works well in squadrons that are predominantly officer, in AFSCs that already require discipline and attention to detail.  It works less well when you have an airman or A1C less than a year out of BMT and who still barely has a grasp adult life, let alone the expectations of the Air Force.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, pawnman said:

Well, you have to understand that as a 17D, he does not have the same kind of people working for him that you have working for you.  "You're all adults and professionals" works well in squadrons that are predominantly officer, in AFSCs that already require discipline and attention to detail.  It works less well when you have an airman or A1C less than a year out of BMT and who still barely has a grasp adult life, let alone the expectations of the Air Force.

Its more than just Airman a year out of BMT. Talked with a buddy who is in cyber and the airman he deals with on a daily basis is well let's just say special (in every possible meaning of that word).

5 hours ago, pawnman said:

It works less well when you have an airman or A1C less than a year out of BMT and who still barely has a grasp adult life, let alone the expectations of the Air Force.

I disagree.  Just because someone doesn't know how to adult yet doesn't mean we should lower the bar.  We keep the bar high, and teach that kid how to meet it.  One the backside (FGOs and SNCOs), this plan requires that the "adults" are squared away.  If you lower the bar for one, you lower it for all...which is what's happening across our force right now.

Keep the bar high and swhack old guys that don't meet it in order to show the way for the young ones.  The kids need the visual lesson.  The senior people should know better. 

Teach through example, instruct with credibility, mentor with wisdom, never coddle.

• Like 1

On 5/6/2018 at 6:52 PM, pawnman said:

We don't call it weaponized Autism for nothing.

19 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

I disagree.  Just because someone doesn't know how to adult yet doesn't mean we should lower the bar. 

Teach through example, instruct with credibility, mentor with wisdom, never coddle.

Sure.  Having walked the halls of Ops Sq's the culture is in the air.  The expectation is worn on your patches on the pajamas all us non-air-breathing-operators crave.  Everyone knows that the aircrew have spent X years training, flying, fighting.  You guys have Sq bars, you're segregated from the rest of the AF by sheer pinnacle of your achievement.  As I think you should be, you've earned it.

I don't have that in a normal Comm Sq.  I've got Airmen who never touched a computer besides MS Office for school that are working the core servers, all the way up to the guy who failed a credit short of a CS degree because he almost went pro in Fortnite.  I've got officers who are geology/english majors who got Cyber because "needs of the Air Force."  This is on par with the bros who signed up for real flying and got RPA's...but they have to "lead" Amn that are about the same age.

How many officers in a Ops sq you know that can't get to work on time?  I've had to separate 3 Amn for that.  I had to deal with 4 sexual assault cases at the same time, when those finally wrapped up 3 pissed hot.

So, the 17D that @HarleyQuinn mentions comes off as a douche from that single statement.  I don't agree with ordering it...but it's nice to not get blindsided by some idiot failing at the last minute and having to report it to a douche Wing CC who thinks PT's the pinnacle of leadership.  Which is where we been for about a decade. 

1 story to kinda illustrate - Airman shithead was late to duty on a Saturday.  Boss found him asleep in his car...suspicion of drinking.  On Monday we (Super and I) pull him in for a conversation.  I order him to stay silent (not self-incriminate), and tell him our suspicions and run him through the consequences.  I tell him about the options to driving while intoxicated, and ask him to be a professional, he's a needed team member, etc.  I release him to his supervisor and superintendent.

2 weeks later DUI.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 5

2 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

So, the 17D that @HarleyQuinn mentions comes off as a douche from that single statement.  I don't agree with ordering it...but it's nice to not get blindsided by some idiot failing at the last minute and having to report it to a douche Wing CC who thinks PT's the pinnacle of leadership.  Which is where we been for about a decade. 

The 17D in question was prior enlisted like myself and we became buds in AFROTC.  I'm proud of him because he will make Lt Col. But after reading his PRF, I was like who the hell wins FGO and CGO of the year 4 damn times? This is one reason why flyers are not being promoted. Padding the old awards. I would assume flyers like myself would have more flying medals to offset any awards. The promotion board typically gets it right from what I hear so it's cool.

My CC and I look for officers who constantly submit themselves for awards.  We shred packages for people who don't deserve an award period. I advise my CC to give these selfish individuals feedback and he sure as hell does. But there is a thin line too. Some guys are trying to take care of themselves because who else is going to take care of you if you have been boned by big blue before? 

2 weeks later and a DUI? Bruh...I reached into an airmans heart after his second speeding ticket on his motorcycle. I had him in tears. I have only had to do that once in 17 years. I know I saved his life because he was on the need for speed death trap.

Edited by HarleyQuinn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

We don't call it weaponized Autism for nothing.

2 weeks later DUI.

Dude. 

That sounds like a command challenge of the highest order.  My heart goes out to you.  Hang tough.

For posterity, my post was not intentionally focused on, or from, an ops perspective.  I guess the perspective comes through simply because of my background. 

I'm left with the question: Is anyone inside the 17D career field trying to make a culture of excellence?  No doubt working with a gene pool as broad and deep (and quite shallow in some parts from what you say) is an overwhelming obstacle.  But is anyone telling these kids they're worth the time invested?  It sounds like you are and a select few others are, but is there a culture shift in progress in your favor? 

Because there should be. 

If there is anywhere we need to be building that culture from the ground up, it's in cyber and comm.  The idea that "no one does this as well as we do" seems like it would need to be foundational for one of those squadrons.  Unfortunately, is sounds like a lot of mismanagement and poor senior leadership instead of empowered leaders and peers who are waking these young knuckleheads up at 6 AM to run, not because they're warriors, but because discipline is critical, and contagious. 

Thanks for the course correction, I didn't realize the scope of the quality control challenges you guys are facing.  Weaponized autism.  Copy.

Perspective adjusted.

8 hours ago, HarleyQuinn said:

The 17D in question was prior enlisted like myself and we became buds in AFROTC.  I'm proud of him because he will make Lt Col. But after reading his PRF, I was like who the hell wins FGO and CGO of the year 4 damn times? This is one reason why flyers are not being promoted. Padding the old awards. I would assume flyers like myself would have more flying medals to offset any awards. The promotion board typically gets it right from what I hear so it's cool.

My CC and I look for officers who constantly submit themselves for awards.  We shred packages for people who don't deserve an award period. I advise my CC to give these selfish individuals feedback and he sure as hell does. But there is a thin line too. Some guys are trying to take care of themselves because who else is going to take care of you if you have been boned by big blue before? 

2 weeks later and a DUI? Bruh...I reached into an airmans heart after his second speeding ticket on his motorcycle. I had him in tears. I have only had to do that once in 17 years. I know I saved his life because he was on the need for speed death trap.

They are definitely just trying to take care of themselves, especially when the guys passed over to Lt Col on the IPZ board are told things like "It's because you didn't have enough FGO awards in your record".

You better believe I'm putting in a 1206 every damn quarter for an FGO award.

11 hours ago, 17D_guy said:

I had to deal with 4 sexual assault cases at the same time, when those finally wrapped up 3 pissed hot.

Phew! Glad those two things were entirely separate. I thought we might be dealing with an R. Kelly-type situation here...

• Haha 1
  • Upvote 1