Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

Saw on Facebook that the LtCol BSC board that met with the ‘09 Maj LAF Board has been split off and sent to the SecDef without the 09 Major results.

Sorry guys, I think I broke the Majors board...

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

30 minutes ago, cragspider said:

I heard the the 09 LAF has finally been reported into OSD today. I haven’t checked myself since I’m off work today but got a text from a bro with that info. 

So what would a rough timeline be from OSD to notification of promotees?

I heard the the 09 LAF has finally been reported into OSD today. I haven’t checked myself since I’m off work today but got a text from a bro with that info. 

Nope! For the first time I have ever seen it, after Execing for almost half my career, the AF sent up half the board results (O-5 BSC) and is still sitting on the 09 Maj LAF list, effectively splitting the board. Seriously.... WTF is going on.

So what would a rough timeline be from OSD to notification of promotees?

Approximately 20-30ish days has been the standard. OSD takes around 18 business days and then the AF establishes a Public Release date around a week later.

34 minutes ago, Duck said:

Approximately 20-30ish days has been the standard. OSD takes around 18 business days and then the AF establishes a Public Release date around a week later.

I know this is weird.  Anyone have any rumint on what the hold up is????  

The Air Force doesn't want to lose their most prIzed exec, DUCK!
   Taking desperate measures to undo what has been done

I seriously think I broke the Majors board. Worst case scenario I gave the AF the big middle finger and they keep me in an extra year.

Majors board update. I got to talk to the Promotions people at AFPC and she confirmed my suspicions.

The AF didn’t realize what a huge undertaking it would be at the SAF level when they got rid of PRFs. They have spent the last 2 months combing through thousands of ROPs for the people selected for promotion looking for negative quality indicators. It was taking so long to do this, that they had to send up the attached O-5 BSC board to the SecDef otherwise they would have run out of the previous year selectees to promote. She seemed to confirm that the rate was not a 100% selection rate, but that’s all I could get.

Based off her comments I’m thinking we still have at least another month and a half before we get notified.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Duck said:

Majors board update. I got to talk to the Promotions people at AFPC and she confirmed my suspicions.

The AF didn’t realize what a huge undertaking it would be at the SAF level when they got rid of PRFs. They have spent the last 2 months combing through thousands of ROPs for the people selected for promotion looking for negative quality indicators. It was taking so long to do this, that they had to send up the attached O-5 BSC board to the SecDef otherwise they would have run out of the previous year selectees to promote. She seemed to confirm that the rate was not a 100% selection rate, but that’s all I could get.

Based off her comments I’m thinking we still have at least another month and a half before we get notified.

So the Air Force has a board to promote (or not) up to 100% of its eligibles to O-4. It then uses a ridiculous amount of time to second-guess itself about said selectees?

I’d say something along the lines of “YGBSM!”, but that would imply my being surprised by this revelation. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Duck said:

Duck I know you have more skin in this game than I do. But thanks for reaching out. The lack of news from this doesn’t surprise me at all. I think you’re correct that it will be a little while longer before they get the info out. Somehow I’m not surprised by this whole thing anyway and that they would mess it up and loose face with the masses. 

• Like 1

Got a chance to talk to an AFPC rep who helps run the promotion boards and was involved in the recent O-4 board. Key takeaways were this is a 100% promotion opportunity not a 100% promotion rate (Duck you may still be in luck). The difference this year is instead of rating the package on a 6-10 scale then making a cut based on the rack and stack, the option was simply a yes or no to promote the person. If you got a yes, you are 100% getting promoted not waiting to see how you fell in the overall rankings and make the cut.

20 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

Got a chance to talk to an AFPC rep who helps run the promotion boards and was involved in the recent O-4 board. Key takeaways were this is a 100% promotion opportunity not a 100% promotion rate (Duck you may still be in luck). The difference this year is instead of rating the package on a 6-10 scale then making a cut based on the rack and stack, the option was simply a yes or no to promote the person. If you got a yes, you are 100% getting promoted not waiting to see how you fell in the overall rankings and make the cut.

Interesting, why did wing commanders have to provide a “yes or no” if they were going to second guess all the recommendations!?  God this level of incompetence...

• Upvote 2

47 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

I wonder if any 'no' guys got selected....lol

58 minutes ago, Fuzz said:

I don’t get this at all. If they’re going to review every candidate, then why get rid of the PRF, especially since they got rid of the PRFs after they were already written?  I assume they are now sifting through stacks of OPRs to second guess all the commanders’ decisions...

What in the bloody hell.

Edited by flyusaf83
  • Upvote 1

1 hour ago, flyusaf83 said:

...to second guess all the commanders’ decisions...

That's the "why" behind all of it.  That's what the entire bureaucracy of the USAF is for.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

They need a specific number right? It probably came down to comparing dudes who all have negative quality of force indicators to hit that number. “This guys one DUI isn’t as bad as this guy’s history of sexual harassment”

20 hours ago, Fuzz said:

This is what I don't get. If you are going to do that why only have commanders submit PRFs for people with derogatory information? And what qualifications are they using to count somebody as a promote/ what is their cut line? At least when I read the announcement months ago I thought the board would only look at those with a submitted PRF, which should have taken two days tops. 

13 hours ago, Duck said:

I’m guessing PRFs come back for the ‘10 guys.

I like how '09 got fucked every-single-way for any promotion outside Lt.

Also...what's the difference between opportunity now...and opportunity for '08s and previous if they're going to cull at SAF level?

Edited by 17D_guy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1