Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

2 hours ago, flyusaf83 said:

If this has been discussed, I must have missed it.  Looks like Big Blue is looking at static close-out dates for OPRs just like the EPR change, according to AFPC commander Lt Gen Grosso. Also, she said that OPRs are inflated and that needs to be fixed.  I completely agree, but it’s not a numbers thing since we don’t have the “firewall 5” problem on our OPRs like EPRs.  The inflation is in how we write bullets like everyone is a rock star.  I’m not sure how that gets fixed without getting rid of bullets... which would be awesome.

https://www.airforcetimes.com/news/your-air-force/2017/12/23/new-in-2018-officer-promotion-overhaul-on-the-way/

Thing is, the bullets we spend so much time writing matter very little.   The strat, (or lack there of) job/staff level push and school push are what count.  Omitting them can't be overcome by well written bullets, or even being good your job.

• Upvote 2

Thing is, the bullets we spend so much time writing matter very little.   The strat, (or lack there of) job/staff level push and school push are what count.  Omitting them can't be overcome by well written bullets, or even being good your job.

Yep, dudes in reality about your 6 year point you should be able to take stock of your future in the USAF by what type of strats/push you are getting/have gotten.

It pains me to see dudes not realistic with their lack of push at that point and still think they have HPO potential. I see people volunteer for some truly sh-t jobs/deployments/TDY’s thinking it’s the boost they need but in reality they are working twice as hard for half the results.

I’ve seen a few buck the trend and get on the HPO track late but the personal cost was enormous.

This is my experience looking back over 15 years and seeing how peers and subordinates ended up in the long run vs indicators early on.
  • Like 2

18 minutes ago, di1630 said:

Yep, dudes in reality about your 6 year point you should be able to take stock of your future in the USAF by what type of strats/push you are getting/have gotten.

It pains me to see dudes not realistic with their lack of push at that point and still think they have HPO potential. I see people volunteer for some truly sh-t jobs/deployments/TDY’s thinking it’s the boost they need but in reality they are working twice as hard for half the results.

I’ve seen a few buck the trend and get on the HPO track late but the personal cost was enormous.

This is my experience looking back over 15 years and seeing how peers and subordinates ended up in the long run vs indicators early on.

Shack!

however, the sad thing is folks aren't mentored on that reality early enough and after "truly sh-t jobs/deployments/TDY’s thinking it’s the boost they need" they end up on the back end of their careers, mad at the world that they never got to that unreachable goal.

8 hours ago, NKAWTG said:

Maybe we should stop writing so many bullets?

Like some have mentioned, strats are overinflated.  Everyone is #1/something

each squadron seems to have 8 different stray categories and everyone looks great

the only real way to tell someone apart is to see who has the actual #1/rank strat.    Static closeouts would help this out.    But the band aid being ripped off would hurt. 

4 hours ago, di1630 said:

Even then there's a lack of feedback to allow people to make informed decisions. 

Never strat'd below 2 in any assignment.  I rx'd a wing strat (5/380) at my last base at the 6 yr mark.  Come to staff (sold as a "good job to get in Ops community"), no strat on last OPR despite running (and being recognized for) several DoD level programs, and CGOTY for div, blah blah blah.  Not selected by recent DT for a leadership position which I'd openly been asked about by the Generals where I wanted to go.  

Absolutely zero feedback about OPR, or future.  Actually, that's not true, I was told first that "someone didn't take care of me" and then I didn't have enough high level strats, so it was inappropriate to get a NAF strat yet.

Motherfuckers think I'm inclined to have a "all others" kinda career, they're sorely mistaken.

5 hours ago, di1630 said:

Isn’t that what the AF desires? A bunch of people trying to be the next CSAF regardless of everything else

Isn’t that what the AF desires? A bunch of people trying to be the next CSAF regardless of everything else

The best interest of the USAF is to have everyone slugging it out giving 169% because they think they have a shot at being the MFWIC someday.

It works in a lot of cases. I know guys who have been repeatedly denied entry onto the HPO track yet they keep begging for their beatings.

Imagine if OPR’s were honest...dudes would be jumping ship even more often when they realize they aren’t going anywhere early on.

Even then there's a lack of feedback to allow people to make informed decisions. 
Never strat'd below 2 in any assignment.  I rx'd a wing strat (5/380) at my last base at the 6 yr mark.  Come to staff (sold as a "good job to get in Ops community"), no strat on last OPR despite running (and being recognized for) several DoD level programs, and CGOTY for div, blah blah blah.  Not selected by recent DT for a leadership position which I'd openly been asked about by the Generals where I wanted to go.  
Absolutely zero feedback about OPR, or future.  Actually, that's not true, I was told first that "someone didn't take care of me" and then I didn't have enough high level strats, so it was inappropriate to get a NAF strat yet.
Motherers think I'm inclined to have a "all others" kinda career, they're sorely mistaken.

What will we do without you?
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Imagine if OPR’s were honest...dudes would be jumping ship even more often when they realize they aren’t going anywhere early on.

Not unlikely but the cure for that is to officially end golden boy / favored son programs / positions (exec and other such suckling jobs) and have the first 6 years or so of everyone’s careers be direct duties performance appraisal with leadership potential only judged around the 8 year point.

O-3 and below should be / is focused on operational proficiency / tactical leadership.
That has a strong rated view to it as other non rated officers primary function is leadership from the get go but that again leads to separate ratings / promotions for rated and non rated to address that.
  • Upvote 5

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, flyusaf83 said:

I just heard a rumor that the Majors board results won’t come out until March.

How does it take 4 months to release results of a board that didn’t include PRFs and will only look at cases of candidates with negative indicators?

The list still has to go through all the wickets.  SecDef office, Congress, etc. 

1 hour ago, flyusaf83 said:

How does it take 4 months to release results of a board that didn’t include PRFs and will only look at cases of candidates with negative indicators?

It’s showing mid to late March on mypers.  It’s only 3 months from when the board finished. Until they start rolling it back like the 06 guys results then I really wouldn’t worry about it right now. But it still has to go through the wickets.

Yeah it shows mid March on mypers just wondering when the documents the board saw will be posted to PRDA under the Board section. My last board record was posted about 2 weeks or so after the board met if I remember correctly.

Because the process must still follow the law which means Congressional review and all the other things.
  • Like 1

Granted, however most of the time is spent getting out of the AF. My last board went through the Office of the SecDef in like 10 days, but spent 3 months in AF circles.

• Like 1

duck you're getting out?

Actually changed my mind. I’m shooting for a school slot and directly into leadership, thinking maybe I’ll start as a DO, but definitely BTZ to O-6 (to catch up with my peers). I realized they never deploy, never do anything worthwhile and mostly spend their days forwarding emails. They also get to pretend to care about people and come up with cool catch phrases like “mission first! People? Yeah we got those too”. I’m “all in” now. Just picked up another strat for my O-5 board and if I play my cards right I should be able to be the Wing Exec after the last ass kisser moves on to ACSC. All in all, things are looking up for the Duck-nasty.
  • Like 1
  • Haha 2
  • Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Since they never update the board status page, I emailed them and got an email back from the promotion people, the O-4 board was briefed to the SECAF and now with her “lawyers”. WTF does that mean?

• Upvote 1

Since they never update the board status page, I emailed them and got an email back from the promotion people, the O-4 board was briefed to the SECAF and now with her “lawyers”. WTF does that mean?

I saw something on mypers saying results released in April.

Lt Gen Grosso briefed the Senate Armed Services Committee that it's still with SECAF last week, the "quality review board" that is...ha, appearance counts for too much. The lawyers are probably making sure the 'QRB' is legal.  

• Like 1