Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

41 minutes ago, bennynova said:

I think next CSAF is Robinson.... female and Cyber.   

Probably time for both honestly...

Is this based on certain qualifications and leadership aspects or is it based on the SJW (social justice warrior) need to advance women regardless of qualification into leadership positions? There is an important difference...

• Like 1

Extremely sweeping and ignorant statement. That’s like saying cops can’t hack not killing innocent people so EMTs should step up.  
Not really. Law enforcement in America is still working. We are not on track for a massive degradation in police operations. Can the same be said for the Air Force?

Just because your commander is a "good dude" who "gets it" doesn't mean he or she is qualified to run a massive organization.

I get what you're saying, but the evidence is not on the pilots' side.

Also, your analogy would be more accurate if you were saying the mayor of the city should be a cop, which in most cases is not true, or necessary for a city to have an effective police force.

13 hours ago, bennynova said:

Oh, and CONGRATS, major select Duck!!!  It's a 100% certainty (well, 100% opportunity) that you "made it"    I hope for your sake that you didn't though.   But assuming you are selected for promotion, what is your way forward now?

Thanks man. I am pretty excited about additional authori-tie. (Cartman) 

Actually my life in the AF has been pretty awesome since I showed my cards. The best was when my ADO asked me to do something which was #1 a terrible idea, and #2 would have been a huge time suck on my part and I just said "Nah man. I ain't gonna do that". Then he asked me to supervise and make sure someone else did it to which I replied... "Nah brother, I ain't your guy, but I'll tell them you are looking to talk to them". (I am sure that will make some people on this board go ballistic on me, but seriously you don't understand the whole story)

A week later he inquired how the job was going and I told him I had no idea. I guess he thought I was joking.

The good part of this story is that I have flown a ton and actually contributed (debatable) to the mission. Life not caring about chasing down things that don't matter has been phenomenal. I have been able to go to work, do my job AND ONLY MY JOB, help out people who need help and then go home and be with my family.

I am still holding out hope that I get good news in March, but even if I don't, I have 2 years left on my sentence and maybe just over 1 year if I get paroled for good behavior (unlikely).

People have asked me if I would do it all over again knowing about the 100% promotion opportunity and my response is "hell yeah". As dumb as it may sound, I was able to tell the AF that I was unhappy with how they were running things and that I didn't want to play anymore. Yeah it may cost me about 6 months of O-4 pay, but the freedom that I gained has been well worth it. My wife told me the other day that she hadn't seen me this happy since I started flying.

• Upvote 2

Nope, it's still the AIR Force.  

True but she did start / serve as aircrew and then went on to other domains we operate in, breadth in experience / knowledge is better for overall leadership & management of the institution.

Just my two cents but she sounds like what we should be developing for senior leadership.

Experience with a broad range of operations versus specialized.

The days of the bomber / fighter / pilot only general should be gone.

It should be the Operations General with a broad based career to have the 50,000’ view.

Said as a proud pilot but we are not the only place in AF where senior leadership should come from

1 hour ago, Duck said:

Thanks man. I am pretty excited about additional authori-tie. (Cartman) 

Actually my life in the AF has been pretty awesome since I showed my cards. The best was when my ADO asked me to do something which was #1 a terrible idea, and #2 would have been a huge time suck on my part and I just said "Nah man. I ain't gonna do that". Then he asked me to supervise and make sure someone else did it to which I replied... "Nah brother, I ain't your guy, but I'll tell them you are looking to talk to them". (I am sure that will make some people on this board go ballistic on me, but seriously you don't understand the whole story)

A week later he inquired how the job was going and I told him I had no idea. I guess he thought I was joking.

The good part of this story is that I have flown a ton and actually contributed (debatable) to the mission. Life not caring about chasing down things that don't matter has been phenomenal. I have been able to go to work, do my job AND ONLY MY JOB, help out people who need help and then go home and be with my family.

I am still holding out hope that I get good news in March, but even if I don't, I have 2 years left on my sentence and maybe just over 1 year if I get paroled for good behavior (unlikely).

People have asked me if I would do it all over again knowing about the 100% promotion opportunity and my response is "hell yeah". As dumb as it may sound, I was able to tell the AF that I was unhappy with how they were running things and that I didn't want to play anymore. Yeah it may cost me about 6 months of O-4 pay, but the freedom that I gained has been well worth it. My wife told me the other day that she hadn't seen me this happy since I started flying.

Just be careful, there are still promotion boards and the bro network in the AFRC/ANG.  That being said, you usually have a 6 month window or so of saying fuck off; I did it, and it was good, and there was much rejoicing across the land.

Edited by matmacwc
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Duck said:

Actually my life in the AF has been pretty awesome since I showed my cards.

Without getting into too much detail, I also showed my cards, and my QoL became measuredly better. I was at a UPT base and resumed flying 4-5x a week. While I missed being operational, my work life was what I always imagined being a Pilot in the USAF would be like.  

In AF wisdom, they PCS'd me in the middle of my promotion shenanigans, and my gaining base got a whopping 10 months of qualified time before I started terminal. Any discussions about the irony of the situation with both the losing Wing CC and new functional was a rousing generic speech on how disappointed I must be with this outcome, and not to give up hope on being promoted ABZ.

And now I sit here on terminal, vacationing in Europe, out 2 years early from my ADSC, and a CJO from a legacy airline. Life is good.

Edited by xaarman
made a bit more anonymous, clarified a few pieces
  • Like 2

Without getting into too much detail, I also showed my cards, and my QoL became measuredly better. I was at a UPT base and resumed flying 4-5x a week. While I missed being operational, my work life was what I always imagined being a Pilot in the USAF would be like.  
In AF wisdom, they PCS'd me in the middle of my promotion shenanigans, and my gaining base got a whopping 10 months of qualified time before I started terminal. Any discussions about the irony of the situation with both the losing Wing CC and new functional was a rousing generic speech on how disappointed I must be with this outcome, and not to give up hope on being promoted ABZ.
And now I sit here on terminal, vacationing in Europe, out 2 years early from my ADSC, and a CJO from a legacy airline. Life is good.

Literally, this just happened to me as well. PCS’d in between boards.

23 minutes ago, Duck said:

Literally, this just happened to me as well. PCS’d in between boards.

Did you decline the ADSC for the PCS and get sent anyway?  My situation is similar.  I'm about to be up for a new assignment with a little over two years to go.  I was passed over on the first board with no paperwork to get me on the second one.  I'm trying to stay where I'm at until I can separate.  I thought declining the training ADSC would do the trick, but it sounds like some folks have been moved with less useful time at their follow on assignment than I'll have.

True but she did start / serve as aircrew and then went on to other domains we operate in, breadth in experience / knowledge is better for overall leadership & management of the institution.

Just my two cents but she sounds like what we should be developing for senior leadership.

Experience with a broad range of operations versus specialized.

The days of the bomber / fighter / pilot only general should be gone.

It should be the Operations General with a broad based career to have the 50,000’ view.

Said as a proud pilot but we are not the only place in AF where senior leadership should come from

There have been plenty of people that go to different assignments or jobs not because of the breadth of experience or career broadening but because they were the sticky booger to get flicked. Not saying she is one but I am cautious of leaders who have what appears to be an amazing record on paper. Doesn’t mean they are a good leader. O’s and E’s alike. Some of the worst people I have met in this Air Force are senior officers and enlisted. Not saying she isn’t deserving but because she is a she and has had different assignments doesn’t necessarily make her the right choice. Especially have to be cautious in the day and age of AF PC police. Where they will do anything to look inclusive even if it’s the wrong choice.

12 hours ago, Fireball said:

So do we support the creation of separate Cyber and Space Forces? 

I think there is a lot of validity to create a separate cyber/space force.  Not an expert in either, so maybe the cyber/space folks could speak up; but it sounds like that would be a way for each domain to secure the attention and funding it needs.  Sometimes I think the Air Force has a culture of trying to do too much instead of focusing on being a master of set domains.

Agree, dream big.  Space and cyber are our next biggest domains and I think we are WAY behind in cyber security.  And we are way behind inbwhere we should be with security too.  Some of our biggest barriers to operations and meetings are set imposed security queep.    

We are are probably doing well in space, but cyber trumps all and can negatively affect everything.  

2 hours ago, Guardian said:

There have been plenty of people that go to different assignments or jobs not because of the breadth of experience or career broadening but because they were the sticky booger to get flicked. Not saying she is one but I am cautious of leaders who have what appears to be an amazing record on paper. Doesn’t mean they are a good leader. O’s and E’s alike. Some of the worst people I have met in this Air Force are senior officers and enlisted. Not saying she isn’t deserving but because she is a she and has had different assignments doesn’t necessarily make her the right choice. Especially have to be cautious in the day and age of AF PC police. Where they will do anything to look inclusive even if it’s the wrong choice.

No doubt that has and continues to happen.  The booger fling is a real phenomenon and it is right to beware someone at certain points in their career and they have not attained certain quals/certs as that is possibly indicative of buck passage.  

My only knowledge of her capability is second hand from when she was being initially discussed as a candidate prior to Fingers, consensus was she was a good egg.  

My two cents, if the AF was operations / leadership focused vice problem mitigation / management focused, those on the path to leadership would be identified at around the 8-10 year point in their careers, recruited and selected, then sent to other communities to develop a cadre with a broad but not shallow depth of understanding of how air, space and cyber power are delivered for the Joint Force as a total effort.  

They would say the current AF does this now, not so much IMO.

Did you decline the ADSC for the PCS and get sent anyway?  My situation is similar.  I'm about to be up for a new assignment with a little over two years to go.  I was passed over on the first board with no paperwork to get me on the second one.  I'm trying to stay where I'm at until I can separate.  I thought declining the training ADSC would do the trick, but it sounds like some folks have been moved with less useful time at their follow on assignment than I'll have.

Nah actually I moved to my #1 choice on my ADP short notice to help out the functional and be closer to my dying father-in-law. Best case scenario, I get out in 3-4 months. Worst case I end up spending the next 2 years in a nice location where my wife can be with her family. Win-win.