Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

3 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

Any idea what further wickets it has to go through and how much longer it will take?

Just a voice vote...I’d guess this week—perhaps today or tomorrow—but probably not later than next week since the senate goes out of session for Columbus Day week.

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2017 at 9:55 AM, Weezer said:

I wouldn't call the person a rogue...this is a new policy that old procedures haven't caught up with.  GS-6s follow the procedures they're given.  I wouldn't expect one to just look at a policy memo (even from the CSAF) and then selectively interpret how to implement it.  Someone owes that person better guidance and instruction.  In any case, your SR and MLR will have a more authoritative take on implementation.

Part of the problem is commanders conditioned to take the word of GS-6s just because they work at the MAJCOM.  8th AF/CC and AFGSC/CC were very clear last time they were here trying to sort out the rated officer retention problem: the only person who can tell a commander no is a higher level commander.  Not a GS-6, not a functional at the MAJCOM.  The only person who can tell your WG/CC that they can't give you a DNP is the NAF or MAJCOM commander.

• Upvote 1

On 9/27/2017 at 2:44 PM, VFR800 said:

Just a voice vote...I’d guess this week—perhaps today or tomorrow—but probably not later than next week since the senate goes out of session for Columbus Day week.

Reported confirmed this morning.

Edited by VFR800

3 hours ago, pawnman said:

Part of the problem is commanders conditioned to take the word of GS-6s just because they work at the MAJCOM.  8th AF/CC and AFGSC/CC were very clear last time they were here trying to sort out the rated officer retention problem: the only person who can tell a commander no is a higher level commander.  Not a GS-6, not a functional at the MAJCOM.  The only person who can tell your WG/CC that they can't give you a DNP is the NAF or MAJCOM commander.

Absolutely.  But the GS-6 didn't tell the commander no...he/she told some random person on the phone the current interpretation of current policy as they had been directed.

I'm an ANG O-3 with an effective date to promote to O-4 of 1 October...today (via ROPMA board).  My MPS has not yet received the federal order and says that I cannot pin on until it's received. Last week I submitted a myPers ticket asking for my order. The response was to ask my MPS for it ... and that "you don't need a promotion order for a promotion ceremony."  I can't find that in an ANGI/AFI anywhere, nor do I know why it's taking so long to receive the order. Anyone care to take a stab at why and how one wouldn't need the order to pin on...and why it would be taking longer than the prescribed "NLT 2 weeks prior to effective date"?

Maybe the same reason why there’s not AT days loaded in the system yet for the new FY? Or why this year’s ROPMA results were delayed 3 weeks longer than normal?

Seems like things at NGB and DC in general aren’t firing in all cylinders, which honestly is not surprising...

Good luck...hopefully you at least get your $$ CAO 1 Oct!

• 2 months later...

It’s been over 2 full work weeks since the 100% to O-4 board met. Mypers “status of promotion boards” was just updated today and it’s still not showing that board as having been concluded. I find that hard to believe since they essentially could just rubber stamp the whole board. Wonder what the holdup is? You don’t think they are actually looking at the records of the people we are putting up for promotion? Cuz that would just be silly.

1 hour ago, MooseAg03 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if they went through the whole scoring exercise just to get the O-6’s some training on the process. Instead of streamlining it to save time and effort...

What scoring exercise?  PRFs weren't submitted unless the member had a UIF or a DNP.  

8 hours ago, Duck said:

It’s been over 2 full work weeks since the 100% to O-4 board met. Mypers “status of promotion boards” was just updated today and it’s still not showing that board as having been concluded. I find that hard to believe since they essentially could just rubber stamp the whole board. Wonder what the holdup is? You don’t think they are actually looking at the records of the people we are putting up for promotion? Cuz that would just be silly.

I haven’t found that page to be updated in a timely manner.

• Like 1

I haven’t found that page to be updated in a timely manner.

Absolutely. The page is near worthless, and they rarely update it. However they did update it just a couple days ago and it still shows the O-4 board as having not concluded yet...

I assume it’s true, which makes me wonder if they are sifting through trying to find the unlucky 200 or so people to pass-over (all without a PRF). They made it clear it wasn’t a 100% rate, just a 100% OPPORTUNITY. LOL

Thanks guys. I’m an inspiration to all, that you don’t have to be smart, good looking or talented to get here. Hell, you don’t even have to work hard.

Thanks guys. I’m an inspiration to all, that you don’t have to be smart, good looking or talented to get here. Hell, you don’t even have to work hard.

Wait...you work duck? I don’t think I could ever find you when I needed to!

Cheers!
  • Like 1

On 12/20/2017 at 3:24 PM, MooseAg03 said:

It wouldn’t surprise me if they went through the whole scoring exercise just to get the O-6’s some training on the process. Instead of streamlining it to save time and effort...

Heck that’s what our Wing King did (let’s have everyone complete the PRF process for “practice.”)

most wings were ON TIME with their PRF deliverables that by the time the 100% was announced, all PRFs had been submitted by squadrons and groups and were already processed through DP and the wing front offices.    This go round saved no time at the worker bee levels

the board met from dec 3-14, not too surprised they didn't update Mpers on the 18th/19th.    

Not sure what they needed 2 weeks for either, as they don't have PRFs for 98% of the folks and they aren't selecting for school.   Perhaps they are doing a complete look at the passed over and determining what to do with them.   They may have spent 3 entire days on duck's trying to figure out the mess he made ;)

i think we we are going to start see the Col and Lt Col rates go up as well.  We are low on Cols, only way to fix that is through rapid promotion to include more BPZ.  Just my opinion though, but many Cols just selected for Gp and Wg command are opting out for retirement.  

Oh, and CONGRATS, major select Duck!!!  It's a 100% certainty (well, 100% opportunity) that you "made it"    I hope for your sake that you didn't though.   But assuming you are selected for promotion, what is your way forward now?

• Like 1

9 hours ago, bennynova said:

most wings were ON TIME with their PRF deliverables that by the time the 100% was announced, all PRFs had been submitted by squadrons and groups and were already processed through DP and the wing front offices.    This go round saved no time at the worker bee levels

Not sure what they needed 2 weeks for either, as they don't have PRFs for 98% of the folks and they aren't selecting for school.   Perhaps they are doing a complete look at the passed over and determining what to do with them.   

Concur with all this.  Had mine done and to the front office for rack/stack in line with normal AF bureaucracy timelines: Grp 2 months early + Wing 2 months early = on time.  RUMINT - had a local leader sit on the board and that's what was mentioned as well.  ALL records were reviewed for each member. 

9 hours ago, bennynova said:

i think we we are going to start see the Col and Lt Col rates go up as well.  We are low on Cols, only way to fix that is through rapid promotion to include more BPZ.  Just my opinion though, but many Cols just selected for Gp and Wg command are opting out for retirement.  

This is happening more and more in Cyber as well.  We've seen a ton of LtCol's/Col just bounce.  Once guy in the run for much higher rank punched as a 1-star (family issues), same for a Col offered a Wing.  Former Sq CC just made O6, frocked 6 months early and she said she was very non-competitive from a historical Comm/Cyber perspective.  Our promotion rates are discussed as awful overall compared to the rest of the AF and historically.  I have no proof of it, however a former CSAF mentioned it on a "listening tour."

So the question of retention for us, doubly so with a very high proportion of prior-E's, is do you want to stick around and hope all that gets corrected?  Doubtful, we're now seeing more Intel take over cyber Ops spots and we've got a MAF guy (not hating) slotted to CC one of our Ops Sq's.  That's not even considering how bad Big Blue FUCKED the enterprise from about 2009 until last year.