Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

4 hours ago, Herk Driver said:

Not sure what the issue is with the 317th...Similar issues during the RIF back in 2010-ish. Back then we assumed it was the AG leadership...

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Rumor is LRAFB had similar stats, maybe it's just us 130 guys? Maybe all the Cols on the board are like Rhatigan and find us 130 guys "unprofessional."...

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Duck said:

Letter to the IPZ board requesting to be passed over OPS CHECKS GOOD!

Passed over with a requested P from my WG/CC. (Originally #3 push w/DP before meeting)

Some of my strats to give hope that others can escape:

2 DGs
#1 Sq CGO Strats (multiple)
#2 and 3 Gp CGO Strats
#1 Aircraft Commander Strat (Sq)
#1 and 2 IP Strats (Sq)
WIC/Phoenix Push on OPR
CCE (Sq)
ADO (Sq)
Chief (Sq)
Flt/CC

I used to care about the game, but all the above is worthless to me so I truly hope it doesn't come across as bragging.

Was a little worried that my record would push me into the top 93.5% but luckily I found myself in the bottom.

BLAH BLAH BLAH look at me i'm a douche.

No one cares about how much of a big deal you think you are duck, but keep posting away with your wealth of GK

• Downvote 23

BLAH BLAH BLAH look at me i'm a douche.

No one cares about how much of a big deal you think you are duck, but keep posting away with your wealth of GK

That hurt my feelings brother. Why so angry? Did you get passed over but you wanted to stay? If so, I'm sorry man, best of luck in whatever you do in the future.

9 minutes ago, T Pain said:

you're right, it was hurtful. sorry brother.

and no, not angry, just don't like to see stupid bragging masqueraded as something else. 

Bragging that I got passed over? I mean, yeah I feel like I won the lottery, but that post wasn't a "look at me" post. Talking to all my buddies who got promoted this cycle, they kept saying, "Dude the promotion rate is gonna be 94%, you don't have a chance to get passed over". They are all fed up with the AF as much as I am, yet they didn't want to try because they thought it wouldn't matter. 

I could have better prefaced the reason for posting my $hitty AF resume, which now means jack $hit since I am a passed over Capt, but honestly it is only to encourage other IPZers a way out of the suck. Maybe if more people tried it, the AF would listen, but probably not. All I know is that I am trying to make a better family life for my wife and the little ones.

I have more failures than successes in the AF, and got lucky a couple times with a couple good bosses. I know of better guys and pilots who got passed over because they didn't "check the right boxes". 

Bottom line, I have one foot out the door and I couldn't be happier right now. If I knew ya in real life, drinks would be on me. Cheers.

Edited by Duck
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, dream big said:

Rumor is LRAFB had similar stats, maybe it's just us 130 guys? Maybe all the Cols on the board are like Rhatigan and find us 130 guys "unprofessional."...

I'm beginning to believe there's some ground truth in that statement.  Big MAF has been non-promoting and downplaying the C-130 community for a decade now, and it's showing.  I personally think this is an outflow of some sincere C-130 hate that developed in SWA.  I wish this was hearsay, but got to see it first hand more than once: senior C-17 guys who fostered a deep and seething hatred at the idea that a C-130 might perform better at something than a C-17 (specifically airdrop and LZ efficiency in those conversations).  I love the C-17, and I think we need more of them, but C-130's are better at tacair because that's what they were built for.

Big Blue doesn't agree with that idea.  I didn't believe that sibling rivalry could actually impact this high in the scheme of maneuver, but I'm beginning to think otherwise.

Sorry to hear that the C-130 community is in such a state that dudes are not wanting to promote to O-4.  That says a lot.

Duck, good luck and I'm glad to hear you were able to get what you wanted.

16 months and counting...

FF

• Upvote 3

6 hours ago, Duck said:

That hurt my feelings brother. Why so angry? Did you get passed over but you wanted to stay? If so, I'm sorry man, best of luck in whatever you do in the future.

Considering many want out and are looking at how to get passed over, I think Ducks post was a great addition to that conversation.  

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Homestar said:

Are you gonna throw yourself a passover party? Get yourself one of those commissary cakes with Captian rank on it!

Ha ha. Yeah, actually I am. I have a couple buddies who got passed over for O-5 and we talked about throwing a party once I got the news. Whats messed up is that they actually wanted to stay in, get promoted and continue to 20, but apparently the pilot shortage is over, because my wing had a 30% promotion rate to O-5. Now that it is done though, they are starting to see the light.

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

I'm beginning to believe there's some ground truth in that statement.  Big MAF has been non-promoting and downplaying the C-130 community for a decade now, and it's showing.  I personally think this is an outflow of some sincere C-130 hate that developed in SWA.  I wish this was hearsay, but got to see it first hand more than once: senior C-17 guys who fostered a deep and seething hatred at the idea that a C-130 might perform better at something than a C-17 (specifically airdrop and LZ efficiency in those conversations).  I love the C-17, and I think we need more of them, but C-130's are better at tacair because that's what they were built for.

Big Blue doesn't agree with that idea.  I didn't believe that sibling rivalry could actually impact this high in the scheme of maneuver, but I'm beginning to think otherwise.

Sorry to hear that the C-130 community is in such a state that dudes are not wanting to promote to O-4.  That says a lot.

Duck, good luck and I'm glad to hear you were able to get what you wanted.

16 months and counting...

FF

A majority of -130 guys at my last base that cross flowed had the biggest knee pads sewed into their bags. Maybe those are the only Herk folks promoted. One of the Sq/CC at Dyess was the biggest anti-establishment/fuck the USAF CGO's we had in the 61st circa 2004 time frame . I'm honestly surprised he even stayed in to make O-5.

So what happens next, Duck?  Do you need to ride it out to next year's board, or are there other options for escape?

Unfortunately I'll just ride it out. Since the next board is in December, I expect to be separated and with the ANG by March. So about 8 more months of you guys putting up with my $hit.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Fatsalmon said:

C-130's at Yokota had a 100% promotion rate, both H's and J's.

Yokota always does well, but that's because it's Yokota and PACAF (vice AMC) and the base really shines.  Also, they sent a handful of 08 guys there for the transition, who were more or less the top of their peers.  The 08 class was always kicking ass at Yokota...i.e. "Hulk" ;) 

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Azimuth said:

A majority of -130 guys at my last base that cross flowed had the biggest knee pads sewed into their bags. Maybe those are the only Herk folks promoted.

We've already covered this, but those are the type of people we try to get out of the community through programs like Phoenix.

3 minutes ago, Hokie said:

When you turn down continuation, your separation date is set 6 months after the public release, no?  Have others successfully requested an earlier separation date?

It's no later than 6 months from the release date. You can set one up sooner if you would like. Which I would expect nothing less than that from guys who want out. 

I just signed my declination of continuation sheet. It says "I understand that by declining continuation, I will be separated, effective the last day of the 6th month following approval of the board, under AFI 36-3207, Separating Commissioned Officers, unless I have an earlier voluntary DOS established or after completion of all Health Profession ADSC obligations incurred... blah blah blah"

What the "board approval" date is, I'm not sure. I'll update when a DOS is in the system.

Also every sheet/memo/statement has in big, bold, and underlined letters that if I decline continuation, I am not entitled to Involuntary Separation Pay. Like, they really want you to know that.

Edited by xaarman

7 hours ago, Hokie said:

When you turn down continuation, your separation date is set 6 months after the public release, no?  Have others successfully requested an earlier separation date?

I went from declining continuation to actual separation in 1 month.  The virtual outprocessing checklist can be completed in a couple of days if you're already done with TAPS and the separation physical.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, FourFans130 said:

I wonder how deep Big Blue is going to bury the data about the number of pilots turning down continuation. 

That'd be a great slide for the AMC/A1 road show.

To be honest, I can't see AFPC, HAF/A1 or MAJCOM A1 caring about passed over Captains turning down continuation. They know pilots won't stay Captains unless they're prior enlisted and need it to make retirement. On the AFPC roadshows, a number was used for planned attrition, but I don't recall what it was.

However, I could see them caring about how many pilots were passed over in the first place.... but the Defense Officers Personnel Management Act (which mandates up or out and promotion by year group) overrides service specific job requirements. IMHO, nothing will change until Congress changes DOPMA.... and the branches don't want it changed because it's one of the few ways to separate (leaderships view of) underperformers. 

• Upvote 1

So looking at the data for CY 2017A LAF Major compared to 2016 for pilots specifically (since we have a pilot crisis don't ya know!)...

Summary

2017: 93.1% selection IPZ, 21.8% APZ

2016: 94.4% selection, 10.6% APZ

Details

PDE complete and DP = 100% both years

PDE complete and P 2017: 76% selection IPZ (182/239), 10% APZ (8/84)

PDE complete and P 2016: 83% selection IPZ (199/241), 20% APZ (17/87)

BL: Pilots in the rank of Captain were less competitive for promotion to Major this board than last board

For all other categories (CSO, ABM, Non-Rated Ops, & Mission Support) across the board all categories were more promotable in 2017 than in 2016 save for a 1-man-less erosion for APZ CSOs.

Super Double BL: the AF in as clear of terms as possible is demonstrating to pilots that they are not any more specifically wanted/needed at the rank of Major now during this "crisis" even compared to last year and 2015. Take action appropriately when considering outside opportunities.

Edit to add: to not sound too alarmist, the movements were relatively small. 24 pilots passed over who would have been promoted at last year's rate. And 19 of them can possibly be explained away by a 2% higher DP allocation rate, meaning DP is more important than ever in order to be promoted. 

Factor in the handful of Ducks that were clearly promotable but took themselves out of the running and maybe there ya have it.

Interpret the data how you will...my takeaway is that the AF is treating things like business as usual where the rubber meets the road, yet is talking like we're in some kind of pilot retention crisis. It's almost as if management's words don't match their actions...weird.

Edited by nsplayr
  • Upvote 5