Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

3 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

I heard through the grapevine, indirectly from AFPC, that it might be next week...not understanding what takes so long about the process, and why the projected release date was pushed back.  How long does it really take to validate board results?

OSD and congress have to sign off on it I'm pretty sure.  Takes time!  

OSD and congress have to sign off on it I'm pretty sure.  Takes time!  

According to MyPers Congress doesn't get it until after the public release date. Deputy SecDef is the approval authority. Not sure what is taking so long. Consensus at my base from leadership is that AFPC has it back from OSD but are sitting on it due to being busy with the Hawk board and other things.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

35 minutes ago, Swizzle said:

Heard list needs to come out before 5 July or people could derive from other releases if they were or weren't selected...that and DTs will start meeting after the 4th, right? I'm sure they'd like to publicly know and have the people know.

Break, break...

Decisions are being made apparently soon about PRF changes, OPR changes, stratification AFI guidance, no more DE select status, Officer SCODs, and new AFIs.

RUMINT, but the last I heard from a guy who did the whole one-on-one phone consultation with AFPC after the last board was: 

1. They're going to mask year groups going forward. Essentially, once you meet your IPZ board, you'll continue to be treated at IPZ until you get out.

2. One line PRFs, forcing the boards to actually look at your whole record.

3. Quarterly awards were apparently a discriminator on the last LtCol board. Plan accordingly if you want to stay.

19 minutes ago, pawnman said:

1. They're going to mask year groups going forward. Essentially, once you meet your IPZ board, you'll continue to be treated at IPZ until you get out.

Masked... other than the 25 Maj OPRs in your record.  

• Upvote 7

How does #1 work with DOPMA?

It would mean that each continuation board will essentially be a RIF board to make room for the guys on the new promotion list. DOPMA doesn't care about year groups, just total number in each grade.

The only way I see this working is if there are quotas on AFSCs promoted to ensure a healthy balance, especially given the pilot shortage (does the Air Force no good if only mission support guys are promoted, or if no cyber/space guys are promoted, etc)

10 hours ago, Steve C said:

Masked... other than the 25 Maj OPRs in your record.  

Great... so now passed over folks will have multiple OPRs with no strats on top because they were cast aside after getting passed over.  So.... not everyone will reallllly be treated like they are all IPZ...  so.... nothing changes.

Edited by Chicken

9 hours ago, jazzdude said:

It would mean that each continuation board will essentially be a RIF board to make room for the guys on the new promotion list. DOPMA doesn't care about year groups, just total number in each grade.

The only way I see this working is if there are quotas on AFSCs promoted to ensure a healthy balance, especially given the pilot shortage (does the Air Force no good if only mission support guys are promoted, or if no cyber/space guys are promoted, etc)

What do you mean a RIF board?  RIF everyone at 20 years type of thing?  Or RIF based on something else?

What do you mean a RIF board?  RIF everyone at 20 years type of thing?  Or RIF based on something else?

I don't follow this either. Dopma in 1980 drives up or out, not the AF. Continuation/non-voluntary separation is not chosen at the promotion board but actually a separate (even though they run back to back and w/the same members I believe) Continuation board which decides who to offer continuation to based on SECAF guidance and desired end strength numbers.

By masking IPZ/APZ all that really changes is passed over people won't be discriminated against at the board. Twice passed over = continuation or non continuation. Once someone accepts continuation they would still meet promotion boards APZ (masked) but not continuation boards since they have already been continued to 20/24, etc.

I am pretty sure this is how this would work based on digging through the stupid promotion AFI.

Continuation offered is a maximum, not a minimum. Just because they offer continuation to 20 doesn't mean they can't decide to separate you earlier by changing the continuation criteria and reboarding your record for continuation again based on needs of the air force. If you are authorized X majors, you have to have a process to get rid of the excess majors (either through promotion, separation, or retirement). Up or out was one way to force separation of people to keep the end strength for the grade where it needed to be. The continuation board would be the logical place to assess which officers should be separated to maintain end strength, as the records are there for consideration already. Welcome to the hunger games.

Plus, IPZ/APZ has been masked on the last few majors boards already, but board members can tell if you are APZ (count OPRs, look at dates, etc).

Sent from my SM-T700 using Tapatalk

Continuation offered is a maximum, not a minimum. Just because they offer continuation to 20 doesn't mean they can't decide to separate you earlier by changing the continuation criteria and reboarding your record for continuation again based on needs of the air force. If you are authorized X majors, you have to have a process to get rid of the excess majors (either through promotion, separation, or retirement). Up or out was one way to force separation of people to keep the end strength for the grade where it needed to be. The continuation board would be the logical place to assess which officers should be separated to maintain end strength, as the records are there for consideration already. Welcome to the hunger games.

Plus, IPZ/APZ has been masked on the last few majors boards already, but board members can tell if you are APZ (count OPRs, look at dates, etc).

Not entirely correct. Once granted selective continuation, it takes the SECAF removing the career field from the "critical skills needs" of the Air Force before you can be involuntarily separated. It's a very safe bet that pilot is not going to be removed from that list any time soon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Umm, no. They can offer a year-to-year continuation, but it's very rare that they do. If they offer 20/24, you are guaranteed to that unless there's some other serious issue that causes an involuntary separation.

As for the masking, it's really up to the individual board member if they pay attention. My SR told me last week that he recently sat on a board, and personally, he didn't look at a single date or pay attention to anything that would indicating I/APZ, and that was the direction given to them. He said the APZ's did pretty well on that board (couldn't tell me what board it was).

Not entirely correct. Once granted selective continuation, it takes the SECAF removing the career field from the "critical skills needs" of the Air Force before you can be involuntarily separated. It's a very safe bet that 11F is not going to be removed from that list any time soon.

Fixed it for you.

Holy sh!tballs. If there hasn't been a good argument made in the past for breaking us out of the LAF for promotion, this guy just made one.

1 hour ago, ihtfp06 said:

Holy sh!tballs. If there hasn't been a good argument made in the past for breaking us out of the LAF for promotion, this guy just made one.

Guessing AFPC will ensure he gets passed over...

• Upvote 1