Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

Hate to interrupt the hatedont beat down but I have a quick question regarding selective continuation.  Is continuation normally offered one year at a time which means that you will meet a continuation board every year?    If I remember the AFI wording correctly it doesn't give a default continuation term but reading through the forums here seems to suggest everyone gets a year.

It's roughly a year-ish. More precisely, it's until the next selective continuation board for your rank, which occurs immediately after the promotion board you are considered for APZ, until you hit high year tenure. Each board could have different instructions on who to continue.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• Upvote 1

• Toro locked this topic
  • Toro unlocked this topic

Questions about selective continuation?  If passed over to Major (meaning, you are a Captain and twice non-selected for promotion to Major), you may then meet a continuation board.  The result is similar if you are a Major twice passed over for Lieutenant Colonel.  Continuation boards are only held if the secretary of the service (for the AF, the SecAF) decides that they need to retain personnel from one or more career fields.  If selected for continuation, you are initially offered continuation to 20 years (thus allowing you to serve until retirement).  If you are a Major, you could meet a second continuation board following any of your future promotion boards and potentially be offered continuation to 24 years.  So, 20 years max for Captains, 24 years max for Majors.  Once continued, the only way you can be "discontinued" is if the secretary of the service suddenly decides that they no longer need personnel within the currently continued career fields.  You can't be "discontinued" administratively for any other reason.  Of course, you could be forced out administratively or punitively due to other issues such as dismissal due to an Article 15. 

Note- you CAN decline continuation.  For instance, if you are a Major and have already accepted continuation to 20 years and are subsequently offered continuation to 24 years, you can decline the continuation to 24 year and still be able to serve till 20 years and retire.

Our functional said it's "at the OSD level". No other specifics.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

So when we say O-5...we mean across all the services. If we have retention issues in certain places, might be nice to pause and make sure we're putting our O-4's in the right baskets.

Oh...who the fvck am I kidding...never mind.

Bendy

Would be nice if they'd just say what the reason was. It's been too long that they simply have not had to.

People make organizations. Organizations make messes. People alone get into habits that are hard to get out of...messes do much worse for far longer.

They don't care, dude. Not even a little. I wish it was different.

It's not going to cost you money for the rest of your life, man. Because...you're going to make different decisions than you might have otherwise made.

You'll be just fine.

Bendy

• Upvote 1

AFPC is doing it because they don't want members being lt col selects for more than a year for the final line numbers.    And if you aren't going to pin on line number 1 until October/nov/dec of 2018, then why have board results come out in may?     As it stands now, the current batch of lt col selects have to wait until 1 Jan to start pinning on (unless they exhaust the remaining 270 from CY16 board quicker than 70 per month

• Upvote 2

When the board results are released, it starts the DOPMA clock for those twice passed over.  Could be an attempt to keep the iron majors around just a little bit longer, especially given this anecdotal evidence that 11x continuation was not universal this past round.

Not saying I couldn't come up with a better plan, because I could, even blackout drunk.  (Come to think of it, some of my best ideas may have come that way.)  Just saying I may see their logic.

• Upvote 2

When the board results are released, it starts the DOPMA clock for those twice passed over.  Could be an attempt to keep the iron majors around just a little bit longer, especially given this anecdotal evidence that 11x continuation was not universal this past round.
Not saying I couldn't come up with a better plan, because I could, even blackout drunk.  (Come to think of it, some of my best ideas may have come that way.)  Just saying I may see their logic.

Of the three posted here apparently only one was real. The two I know were offered continuation to 24 when the paperwork SNAFU was fixed.
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, bennynova said:

AFPC is doing it because they don't want members being lt col selects for more than a year for the final line numbers.    And if you aren't going to pin on line number 1 until October/nov/dec of 2018, then why have board results come out in may?     As it stands now, the current batch of lt col selects have to wait until 1 Jan to start pinning on (unless they exhaust the remaining 270 from CY16 board quicker than 70 per month

I remember this argument.  That's right, it was when these exact same year groups were Capt's coming up on Major.  Long wait/delay/short wait/multiple boards in a year.  We're in phase II of the Lt Col round.

• Upvote 1