Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

DOPMA controls the speed of pin-on (once Senate approved).  I'm pretty sure DOPMA is based on FY, so it's possible to start in October, if previous list is exhausted.  I guess it could be even earlier if their projections for Lt Col end strength at the end of FY17 adjusts downward because of some sort of larger-than-planned exit.

Which is exactly what's happening with the O-4s. By promoting 260+, the list will be exhausted by the end of July. Leaving the 08 guys pinning on in August before the next FY begins.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

Pin on won't start before January regardless, no?
That said, it would be nice to know which pile my PRF was in sooner than June. 

A buddy in the current crop of O-5 selects said the line numbers were just reduced starting in July...the month he was progged to pin on. Probably drawing it out to Jan 18.

June (ish) is the standard for the past few years for public release dates.

Sent from my SM-N920T using Baseops Network Forums mobile app

33 minutes ago, flyusaf83 said:

Can you guys educate me? I'm an 09 guy, which means my board is at the end of this year. I'm sure we will all start pinning on after the 08 guys finish pinning on.

Any ideas on when that will be? 

LOL

november of 18.     that's a somewhat WAG, but probably pretty accurate.    you're board meets this December and will be finalized/results public by the end of March 18.    I'd venture that the 17B guys are done pinning on in October 18.

LOL
  november of 18.     that's a somewhat WAG, but probably pretty accurate.    you're board meets this December and will be finalized/results public by the end of March 18.    I'd venture that the 17B guys are done pinning on in October 18.

I would tend to think May-July 18. The '08 guys will start pinning on in Aug-Sept '17. With the last two year groups exhausting the list in 9 months, I'm thinking '08 will be done by April '18, and the '09 guys start in May '18.

The flood gates are open, O-4 11Xs are bailing faster than anyone in the military as soon as their 12 year purgatory is up. Too far from retirement and too tired to put up with more BS.

Has there ever been an interruption, or does it typically just keep flowing? I can't see them taking a month off promoting people with as fast as we are jettisoning Majors. IIRC there was no gap between the '06/'07 groups.

14 hours ago, Duck said:

I would tend to think May-July 18. The '08 guys will start pinning on in Aug-Sept '17. With the last two year groups exhausting the list in 9 months, I'm thinking '08 will be done by April '18, and the '09 guys start in May '18.

The flood gates are open, O-4 11Xs are bailing faster than anyone in the military as soon as their 12 year purgatory is up. Too far from retirement and too tired to put up with more BS.

Duck,

If you have/had such a good record, how'd you manage to get passed over?  What's the secret sauce?

Since we are discussing year groups, does anyone know the health status of the 2005 year group? My year group has gone through 2 rifs. All of my buddies are gone except one.

People were like you are a shoe in to make Lt Col. I'm like that would be great and all but I now see why people in the 2004 year group bailed prior to pinning on major. Do you want happiness or to be told what to do for 8 more years. Feeling like you have no control over your life and can't tell a person to respectfully f#$@ off.

I am not going to say out right I will not do ACSC to leaderships face. Definitely buy you a 365 in my opinion. Just going to keep kicking the can so if people ask, I will have a legitimate response. I'm tired of school and the AF forcing me to learn things I really don't care about. 

• Upvote 1

Duck,
   If you have/had such a good record, how'd you manage to get passed over?  What's the secret sauce?

Haven't been passed over yet, I'm an '08 guy anxiously waiting for the board results. I wrote a letter to the board telling them I don't want to play anymore and I am taking my toys and going home.

I promise, I'll tell the raw unfiltered part of the story once I am free. I am currently Fencing-In and waiting for the AF to somehow screw me.

Bennynova, I'll send you a PM with more details.

Since we are discussing year groups, does anyone know the health status of the 2005 year group? My year group has gone through 2 rifs. All of my buddies are gone except one.
People were like you are a shoe in to make Lt Col. I'm like that would be great and all but I now see why people in the 2004 year group bailed prior to pinning on major. Do you want happiness or to be told what to do for 8 more years. Feeling like you have no control over your life and can't tell a person to respectfully f#$@ off.
I am not going to say out right I will not do ACSC to leaderships face. Definitely buy you a 365 in my opinion. Just going to keep kicking the can so if people ask, I will have a legitimate response. I'm tired of school and the AF forcing me to learn things I really don't care about. 

Yeah, be careful calling the AF's baby ugly (not finishing ACSC). I had a buddy who was indirectly told that if he didn't finish school he was on the next 6-month they could find. He was a bonus taker so he really had no choice.

Your best bet is writing a letter stating you don't want to be promoted (come up with a better reason than F the AF, even if that is true). You won't get involuntary Sep pay (no one is, I promise) but it sets you free from indentured servitude.

8 hours ago, Duck said:

Yeah, be careful calling the AF's baby ugly (not finishing ACSC). I had a buddy who was indirectly told that if he didn't finish school he was on the next 6-month they could find. He was a bonus taker so he really had no choice.

Your best bet is writing a letter stating you don't want to be promoted (come up with a better reason than F the AF, even if that is true). You won't get involuntary Sep pay (no one is, I promise) but it sets you free from indentured servitude.

Don't know if it matters or not but I have 3 short tours under my belt. I have 3 years, 6 months until I can retire in 2020.

Should hit "sanctuary" in November 2018 if what I read about continuation is true. My IPZ for Lt Col will be in 2019. I turned down the bonus so I am pretty sure I'm good to go.

Guess the worst case scenario is the AF could say no one year and some change continuation to 20 years since you didn't do any ACSC. 

Any darts for my COA?

Edited by cantfly

8 hours ago, bennynova said:

Duck,

As a passed over '07 guy, I can shed a little insight on this.

Turned down Chief of Wing Programming, Chief of Wing Life Support, and 2x Check Flight Commander to remain flying the line.

I was having a blast, flying 3-5x a week teaching in T-1s.

First SQ/CC asked me if I knew what I was doing to my career, and still let me do it. Second Commander reminded me, where I told him I was never going back to big blue. Fantastic Commanders that supported my goals. Also, at UPT, you can fly the line, I could not do the same at a big MWS base.

Counting down the days until I get out. However, with all the shenanigans going on, I am very scared I might get promoted ABZ. Please dear God no.

38 minutes ago, xaarman said:

As a passed over '07 guy, I can shed a little insight on this.

Turned down Chief of Wing Programming, Chief of Wing Life Support, and 2x Check Flight Commander to remain flying the line.

I was having a blast, flying 3-5x a week teaching in T-1s.

First SQ/CC asked me if I knew what I was doing to my career, and still let me do it. Second Commander reminded me, where I told him I was never going back to big blue. Fantastic Commanders that supported my goals. Also, at UPT, you can fly the line, I could not do the same at a big MWS base.

Counting down the days until I get out. However, with all the shenanigans going on, I am very scared I might get promoted ABZ. Please dear God no.

This sounds like BS and you haven't read through the threads on this forum enough. So you think the AF is going to promote you ABZ without having planned a single X-mas party? #1 rule to AF Club is to plan the best X-mas parties. And you have to serve up pigs in a blanket. The top guys love those.

I remember in 2004 or 2005 the promotion board didn't promote a lot of FAIPs. I know you aren't a FAIP.... Anyone know why the board went on a FAIP rampage?

Edited by cantfly
  • Upvote 1

This sounds like BS and you haven't read through the threads on this forum enough. So you think the AF is going to promote you ABZ without having planned a single X-mas party? #1 rule to AF Club is to plan the best X-mas parties.
I remember in 2004 or 2005 the promotion board didn't promote a lot of FAIPs. I know you aren't a FAIP.... 

He's not trying to get promoted.
  • Upvote 2

#1 rule to AF Club is to plan the best X-mas parties.

Sometimes I feel like you guys are okay without the Wing having a Christmas party. Are you also okay without the LGBT fun run, or the African-Asian-Pacific Islander-Martian heritage events? I don't know...I wouldn't lose any sleep if any of those things didn't happen, but if people like those things...if it impacts their morale, and they want to plan those things...I have little issue with that.

(And yes I know this was from a previous post and not the one that was quoted, so don't get sand up in the vaj; you seem like you need to be told that.). When someone turns down additional responsibility to remain flying the line...no big deal, man. Right on...we should promote you based on you experience and also your instructional abilities. But when all you do is fly the line and you fly 3-5 times a week...even if I try, I can keep my eyebrow from going all fvcking Vulcan. Damn near gives me the Whittaker eye...

How long does it take to work on your airline apps? Damn...for the Lts out there, sure does pay to keep that logbook up to date from the start!

Bendy

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, D_Vezencuando said:

After the 0517A MLR, someone mentioned SECAF guidance on Year Group role in 2017 boards. Has it been masked (or de-emphasized) to place Above Zones on equal footing? ...thoughts?   

It's been like that since CY15 boards.... at least that's when it began.  Seems as though it has continued in 16.... we will see if it continues in 17 here in the next month.   Only way to know for sure is to get ahold of the memorandum to the board...which is the same for each bird within the calendar year. It takes about 7 days to get the memo from afpc through a FOIA request. 

7 hours ago, D_Vezencuando said:

After the 0517A MLR, someone mentioned SECAF guidance on Year Group role in 2017 boards. Has it been masked (or de-emphasized) to place Above Zones on equal footing? ...thoughts?   

It's not masked, but was deemphasized for the last several boards by way of the SECAF's memo of instruction to the board.  For the most recent board, she also provided the same instructions to the MLRs.  It's available on mypers if you want to read, I think.

• Upvote 1