Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

...MAJCOM Lance Sijan
...Base CGOY
...Wing FGOY

...joint deployer leading rotary wing medevac ops for US Army/NATO forces

...GO exec.

Have done all I can do.  It's in the good Lord's hands now.

So you're saying there's a chance? Did you get a DP? If not, this has already been decided and there is no mystery. If yes, understand all the other DPs have records just as good...how much does it even really matter. Go to school, keep up the good work, stay if you want, leave if you want...if not this year, you'll surely get your promotion next year.

I've seen dudes move mountains and get 'P' 1-BPZ and dudes just plodding the standard HPO path get a 'DP' for nothing much special...

The promotion system leaves a lot to be desired...despite all the very solid people that will tell you, "we get it right most of the time."

You'll be fine...I humbly suggest you focus on something actually important in life.

Bendy

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...

Memo just dropped today, ALL O-3s twice not selected for promotion to O-4 WILL be offered continuation to retirement as long as they are "Fully Qualified". I didn't see where the memo originated, but bad news for anyone foolishly hoping to get a non-continuation check.

54 minutes ago, Duck said:

Memo just dropped today, ALL O-3s twice not selected for promotion to O-4 WILL be offered continuation to retirement as long as they are "Fully Qualified". I didn't see where the memo originated, but bad news for anyone foolishly hoping to get a non-continuation check.

With the current hemorrhaging of manpower, I find this unsurprising.  I had an FTU instructor who retired as a captain...with a toilet boil on his wings.  Weirdest thing I ever saw. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Duck said:

Don't do it.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Duck said:

I'd like to see the source if anyone can find it. I'd imagine this is probably where the USMC is going.

Screw active duty and all that, but... Combine a blanket continuation policy with the change to promotion board guidance that has recently allowed people to be picked up for O-4 on their 5th and 8th looks, and the "up or out" system has in a certain sense been waived. That's heavy stuff.

• Upvote 1

Screw active duty and all that, but... Combine a blanket continuation policy with the change to promotion board guidance that has recently allowed people to be picked up for O-4 on their 5th and 8th looks, and the "up or out" system has in a certain sense been waived. That's heavy stuff.

I asked around and obviously DOPMA still trumps continuation with outstanding ADSCs, so although they are now going to be blanket continuing everyone, if you decline their generous offer of continuing to 20, you still separate NLT 6 months after notification, regardless of ADSC.

I'd like to see the source if anyone can find it. I'd imagine this is probably where the USMC is going.

I'll post it tonight. There is a mypers stamp on it, but it has no routing list or anything. Isn't even signed. It does however list the authority being under "Title 10... blah blah blah".

This was distributed through our base MPF office but who sent it to them, who knows...

Considering a bi-partisan commission just released a report recommending major changes to the military personnel system, including removal of "up or out", you may be right.

If you haven't yet, I highly recommend perusing the report, a lot of good changes if DoD bothers to read it and take it seriously.

Link: https://cdn.bipartisanpolicy.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/BPC-Defense-Building-A-FAST-Force.pdf

12 minutes ago, Duck said:

Dude as long as they don't change anything by this Dec. I am looking at twice passed over for the win!

So that is what is going to likely happen to me, because I didn't do USMC PME, which is a two year program. Does anyone know how Guard units look at that stuff? If it's any help, I have a Master's Degree and will be complete with AF PME - Squadron Officer School, in less than a week.

5 years ago my ANG unit tried to hire a twice passed over Capt and wasn't successful in getting a waiver. Now it seems pretty easy to get the waiver. My unit has told me that I will pin on O-4 as soon as I get there and they can process the paperwork since I have SOS complete.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Duck said:

5 years ago my ANG unit tried to hire a twice passed over Capt and wasn't successful in getting a waiver. Now it seems pretty easy to get the waiver. My unit has told me that I will pin on O-4 as soon as I get there and they can process the paperwork since I have SOS complete.

Duck, you can be my wingman any day.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, VMFA187 said:

So that is what is going to likely happen to me, because I didn't do USMC PME, which is a two year program. Does anyone know how Guard units look at that stuff? If it's any help, I have a Master's Degree and will be complete with AF PME - Squadron Officer School, in less than a week.

PM me, I will try.

• Upvote 1

• 4 weeks later...

Is this the last Line Lt Col board that met on 27 Feb 17? They haven't updated the Promotion Status on MyPers since 6 April, but as of 6 April that board had already made it all the way through the AF (CSAF, SAF, etc) and was presumably at the Office of Sec Def sometime later. According to MyPers it takes about 18 working days (3.5 weeks) to get through that wicket and then released. Although they projected a late May, early June release, it seems like it could be as early as the next couple weeks.

Pin on won't start before January regardless, no?
That said, it would be nice to know which pile my PRF was in sooner than June. 

Wondering that myself. Increments for the '02 year group should expire in Sep if my math is correct (big if). Wondering if pin on would start in Oct for new FY.

DOPMA controls the speed of pin-on (once Senate approved).  I'm pretty sure DOPMA is based on FY, so it's possible to start in October, if previous list is exhausted.  I guess it could be even earlier if their projections for Lt Col end strength at the end of FY17 adjusts downward because of some sort of larger-than-planned exit.

Edited by Weezer
Accuracy