Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

Since the USAF is growing in numbers right now, I expect those increments to stay stable for the whole list. In the drawdown 5-7 years ago, they would change almost monthly at times (thus the DOPMA statement on the MyPers increments page).

The current increment of ~260 for Major promotions this year will leave about 80 for the final month. Might the increment increase slightly to finish the promotions in July or is it more likely they will decrease to raise the number for the final month?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Question on DOPMA:  I understand the limitation on grades O-4 and above is based on the amount of total officers in the force.  Is that based on authorized end strength (as allowed in the NDAA), or on actual population of officers at a given point in time?  Based on the end-strength increase from the FY17 NDAA (4K total?), will we see an immediate increase in the amount of Maj/Lt Col/Cols allowed, or will we not see that increase until the additional officers are assessed?  Will this have an impact on promotion and continuation for CY17 boards?

• Upvote 1

Anybody know what the O-5 select rate is for people at in-res IDE with a "P" for IPZ?  The AF promotion statistics website details stats for DP and P, but doesn't break anything out by the student MLR vs. the normal SR/MLR route.  Since the past few boards have had IDE method and AAD masked, does anybody have a feel for what the past couple of boards have done?

Anybody know what the O-5 select rate is for people at in-res IDE with a "P" for IPZ?  The AF promotion statistics website details stats for DP and P, but doesn't break anything out by the student MLR vs. the normal SR/MLR route.  Since the past few boards have had IDE method and AAD masked, does anybody have a feel for what the past couple of boards have done?

Mask is BS. You have IDE in res in your duty history.

Historically in res = get promoted.

3 hours ago, CopyShot said:

99.9%

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Champ Kind said:

Are the DP allocations at the student MLRs the same as the SR/conventional MLR route? 

I think the DPs are still given out by your previous SR.    so in turn you hit the board with 2 PRFs.   Your narrative from when you PCS'd to school..... and a blank PRF from your losing unit's SR that has a P/DP on it.

or maybe the P/DP comes from the school MLR?   I could have heard wrong.

35 minutes ago, Champ Kind said:

Are the DP allocations at the student MLRs the same as the SR/conventional MLR route? 

That's my understanding, but after some looking around the regs on e-pubs, I can't find a reference for it.  The one difference if I remember right is that there aren't carryover DPs, since everyone in the MLR is getting boarded.  As long as that's the case it should be something like 55% DP, 45% P.

1 minute ago, bennynova said:

I think the DPs are still given out by your previous SR.    so in turn you hit the board with 2 PRFs.   Your narrative from when you PCS'd to school..... and a blank PRF from your losing unit's SR that has a P/DP on it.

or maybe the P/DP comes from the school MLR?   I could have heard wrong.

P/DP is essentially the only thing the Student MLR does from my understanding.

• Upvote 1

Good stuff, thanks.

10 minutes ago, Ho Lee Fuk said:

At the student MLR, your record competes for a DP and you get a Recommendation-only PRF that is blank except for the DP/P/DNP.

Does the student MLR only see your ROP (the same stuff the prom board would see), or do they also see the narrative only PRF from your last SR?

10 minutes ago, Ho Lee Fuk said:

As far as promotion potential with IDE res, historically it doesn't matter if you get a DP or P, you will get promoted. Getting a P will, however, most likely eliminate you from being in the running for SDE select.

What's the approx. SDE select rate for non-BTZ?

I was told promotion was >99% for anyone at school. Student MLR divvies up the P/DPs - insanely competitive as you can imagine. The only person I know who got one had a #1 FGO strat on his NO PRF from a prestigious wing.

Very few SDE select opportunities since only 10% are selected and all BTZers get it automatically.

*edited to specify that I am referring to those meeting their in-zone board while at school.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums

On 1/22/2017 at 2:34 PM, CopyShot said:

That's my understanding, but after some looking around the regs on e-pubs, I can't find a reference for it.  The one difference if I remember right is that there aren't carryover DPs, since everyone in the MLR is getting boarded.  As long as that's the case it should be something like 55% DP, 45% P.

From AFI 36-2406:

8.3.5.2. AF Level Students - officers assigned as permanent party students training outside their utilization field. Outside utilization training includes DE, degree-granting programs (usually AFIT sponsored), language training, Education With Industry (EWI) programs, attaché/designate training, MC/DC residency programs (when a new AFSC or suffix is awarded upon completion of training or when determined by the competitive category functional representatives), internships, and initial qualification training into a new utilization field.

8.3.5.2.1. HQ AFPC/DP2SPE acts as the ML for AF level students and receives “DP” allocations based on the number of BPZ or IPZ officers eligible for consideration by the HQ USAF Student MLR discussed in paragraph 8.3.5.2. The allocation rate is applied to students, patients and MIAs/POWs separately and rounded up at the ML.

8.3.5.2.2. HQ USAF Student ML Review. Convened by USAF/A1, it considers both Line and Non-Line permanent party students, patients and MIAs/POWs. It convenes approximately 70 days prior to the CSB. HQ USAF/A1 designates an MLR president and a minimum of four MLR members consistent with the minimum grade requirements for senior raters. The MLR is responsible for the following:

8.3.5.2.2.5. Awarding all promotion recommendations. There are no separate procedures to award aggregation and carry-over allocations.

8.3.5.2.2.6. Ensuring the R-O PRF is accomplished for each officer, the appropriate recommendation in Section IX is marked, the PRF is signed by the MLR president, and is attached to the N-O PRF prepared by the officer’s last permanent party SR.
8.3.5.2.2.7. Ensuring ratees receive a copy of the completed R-O and the attached N-O PRFs. NOTE: These are distributed per paragraph 8.1.4.2.13.

• Upvote 1

Screenshot of a report pulled off of AFPC attached:

This was filtered by all line Majors with a 92S DAFSC (Student) assigned to Maxwell AFB as of the end of June 2016 (Lt Col results came out ~9 Jun).

'02 was IPZ; '03 and '04 were 1 and 2 BPZ, respectively.  All of the IPZ guys (45/45) were selected.  20/54 (~37%) of the 1 BPZ were selected.  3/46 (~6.5%) of the 2 BPZ were selected.

Numbers may be off slightly, but it should give you a reasonable idea of how the in-school folks end up.School Promotion RAW Screenshot.JPG

• Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I've looked through about 69 pages of this thread and haven't seen any reference to someone writing a letter to the board in favor of promotion.  Has anyone done so and if so, what kind of info did you include in the letter? The AFI I found lists what cannot be included but the only other guidance is that one can write up to a 10 page letter. 

32 minutes ago, bennynova said:

I included things in the past 6 months that weren't reflected in my record yet.  

If that's all you're doing, a signed SR Memo would carry more weight and get that info included in the PRF to start with.

• Upvote 1

Pile on: Promotion board experts will tell you that letters to the board should be avoided completely unless explaining some anomaly in your record. Why you got a DUI, didn't receive any strats, etc. does not constitute an anomaly and will be viewed as whining.