Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

26 minutes ago, matmacwc said:

Wow, 11 BTZ LtCols with no IDE and a DP got promoted.

Could be wrong, but I bet that would be the still at IDE while meeting their BTZ board demographic group.  That goes back to the practice bleeding memo from a few years back.  Shiny pennies would do PME in correspondence as a select so they could be picked up on a BTZ board while they were at IDE or SDE.

• Upvote 2

On 10/12/2016 at 11:32 PM, NKAWTG said:

Could be wrong, but I bet that would be the still at IDE while meeting their BTZ board demographic group.  That goes back to the practice bleeding memo from a few years back.  Shiny pennies would do PME in correspondence as a select so they could be picked up on a BTZ board while they were at IDE or SDE.

Does anyone have that memo, btw?  I'm a school select and my leadership is asking me to enroll in ACSC-DL... Would prefer to have a better reason than 'I don't wanna' to say no...

2 hours ago, Cavepilot said:

Does anyone have that memo, btw?  I'm a school select and my leadership is asking me to enroll in ACSC-DL... Would prefer to have a better reason than 'I don't wanna' to say no...

It was in a Guidance Memorandum published to AFI 36-2301.  The memo seems to have disappeared though... probably expired and was removed.  That probably wasn't intentional, but that's probably what happened. 

Call the Education Center. Ask them if you can enroll as a school select. They should tell you no. Tell your boss that you tried and were told that you were ineligible.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network Forums
  • Upvote 4

8 hours ago, Cavepilot said:

My leadership told me I wasn't allowed to enroll in DL as a school select. I think some of the early DL enrollment was leadership trying to make guys IDE complete by their 2BTZ board.

13 minutes ago, magnetfreezer said:

My leadership told me I wasn't allowed to enroll in DL as a school select. I think some of the early DL enrollment was leadership trying to make guys IDE complete by their 2BTZ board.

It's a recent change to stem the practice bleeding.  If you're a select, you will go in residence (unless you turn it down).  There's no point in doing it by correspondence.

21 hours ago, Cavepilot said:

How, in today's information age, could this even be a question?  Is your leadership's office located under a rock?  On the moon?  The fact that this kind of buffoonery still exists in broad daylight...  Your leadership should be publicly identified and provided counseling behind the nearest woodshed.

I'd love to know what base/wing, but that would unnecessarily highlight you.  FFS...

• Upvote 4

They selected 1,931 which is a little less than the last couple boards. If they get through the list in 9 months in time for the next board, expect around 214 a month. The list should be exhausted by September. Next board pinning on in Oct if not sooner.

They selected 1,931 which is a little less than the last couple boards. If they get through the list in 9 months in time for the next board, expect around 214 a month. The list should be exhausted by September. Next board pinning on in Oct if not sooner.

This is what I figured. Recently it has been about 6 months from board completion to first pin on. The list on MyPers that I looked at yesterday had 1903 selects, so I figured about 212 per month to finish in September in time for the March '07 board to begin pinning in October.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
  • Upvote 1

Guest ThatGuy

Pinned on O-4 and went to a new MWS a few days later. My old flying unit was deactivated 2 weeks prior to starting my new MWS IQT. Had to have an operation after a few weeks of training. Long story short, I garnered DG. I was in training for 5 months. Then I had to have another operation after my training and before I PCS'd.

I arrived at my new base with an OPR due 3 months after I arrived. Granted you have to verify in your new MWS and certify, then I took a huge chunk of use/lose leave. Turned in my OPR with my TR. I was told you can't just write about everything you did in training. I am like thats all I have been doing is training. The school house Flt/CC wrote a phenomenal TR for me.

Can you not use a TR to help write an OPR? Does anyone really even care if you were a DG as an O-4? Isnt it pretty much expected of an FGO to excel?

29 minutes ago, slick999 said:

Can you not use a TR to help write an OPR? Does anyone really even care if you were a DG as an O-4? Isnt it pretty much expected of an FGO to excel?

A TR will be included in your ROP just like any OPR is. There's nothing against duplicating verbiage (since your OPR will encompass the same time period as your TR but it's not going to do much for you unless you're really struggling to fill the space on your OPR)

That being said, you mentioned you were at training for 5 months....a TR from formal training that is 20 weeks or greater should reset your reporting date IAW AFI 36-2406. If you were there for 5 months sitting DNIF for surgery for a large portion of that time that may not apply though--how long was the course supposed to be? If you're struggling to fill an OPR with good stuff I would explore this option.

A DG is always good but some DG's are better than others. DG from UPT or SOS is held in higher regard than an FTU DG (in a class that sometimes only has 2-3 people). In addition, DG's have more weight on some boards more than others. (i.e., maybe important on an O-3 or O-4 board, not so much on an O-5 board)

• Upvote 2

Not to derail thread but have a legit question. Was selected under 16OT04 board to commission as an RPA pilot (I know, I know) will have 12 yrs enlisted TIS by my OTS grad date. Rough math says I wouldn't hit a Major board until 21yrs total TIS. Realistic chance of making it if I do what I need to? Or would board not even consider because of TIS? Regs I looked at were vague and didn't really address prior E promotions with one exception. What are your interpretations or opinions....other than run as fast as I can from RPAs....thanks.

IMG_2474.PNG

21 hours ago, mikezulu2016 said:

Not to derail thread but have a legit question. Was selected under 16OT04 board to commission as an RPA pilot (I know, I know) will have 12 yrs enlisted TIS by my OTS grad date. Rough math says I wouldn't hit a Major board until 21yrs total TIS. Realistic chance of making it if I do what I need to? Or would board not even consider because of TIS? Regs I looked at were vague and didn't really address prior E promotions with one exception. What are your interpretations or opinions....other than run as fast as I can from RPAs....thanks.

IMG_2474.PNG

I pin on Maj in 7 days and I'm at 19 yrs 6 months of service. For officer purposes I'm still considered in my zone and on-time. What you did in the past as an E is in the past. For pay purposes you'll get the O-1E if you have at least 4 yrs worth of active duty points. Check the containers and you'll make Maj, but who knows what the mil will look like then wrt manning. Good luck in your endeavors. 

• Upvote 1

Know a guy who jumped to the officer (non-rated) side at about the same point. He's now 28 years in and just got picked up for O-5. He's never been a school select or a squadron commander so he'll probably top out there but he's doing just fine. 

Edited by Fuzz
  • Upvote 1

Thanks guys appreciate the info...tried to update post as wording came across wrong. Didn't mean would I promote, obviously that's a decade away and things change. More of would I have the opportunity to compete and from everything I'm seeing it's a yes. Appreciate the insight.

• 1 month later...
13 hours ago, Magellan said:

January's increment is 261.

That's not much bigger than the increment was for the '05 guys.

ON the bright side, for those of us planning to make a career out of it, this really helps with the promotion rate to Lt Col.