Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

So my goal is to get once passed over and then request an early Palace Chase/Separation from AD before my second board. However those twice passed over waivers are getting approved by all my buds who have been twice passed over...

I see all the gears turning on here but any answers to my original question on how to handle my True Blue leadership?

I am writing a "Do Not Promote" letter to my first look O-4 board.

1) will my Wing CC be able to see this?

2) should I give someone in my chain a heads up?

They know why I want to get out and go to the ANG (family health reasons), but seem to hate anyone who tries to, God forbid, get out of AD. Any advice would be appreciated.

Duck:

Disclaimer: I wouldn't recommend what you're doing, but you've obviously put thought into this and you didn't ask for opinions; I'll stop here.

1) Technically, the promotion system is setup for this to be hidden from your leadership. Reality: there's a chance your leadership finds out after the fact from the O-6 network (your letter will be talked about).

Just thought of this: I don't know if your leadership can see your PRDA to see your as met records after the fact (anyone?).

2) I would recommend telling your most trusted leader in your chain of command who will understand and be your advocate to the other haters. You do NOT want your chain finding out about this through other channels (again, this letter of yours will be talked about). Even if you don't have a trusted leader in your chain, I'd still tell someone and let them know you wanted to tell them yourself.

I pray you're able to support your family in a way that best meets their needs.

• Upvote 2

Good suggestion but I tried that and got denied by WG/CC and AFPC and SAF/PC. Sq/CC approved though.

At my base the current guidance is they will disapprove all Separation/PC cases outside of 6 months.

Absolutely, but after 4 failed PC/Hardship and Misc separations... And leadership telling me I need to stop applying until I am about a year out, it puts me in this situation.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, Duck said:

Good suggestion but I tried that and got denied by WG/CC and AFPC and SAF/PC. Sq/CC approved though.

At my base the current guidance is they will disapprove all Separation/PC cases outside of 6 months.

Sorry, man. 

For what it's worth, it's an illustration of the problem I have with 10-year ADSCs, and anything longer the AF may consider. There is zero way to predict what life is going to deal you that far out. I see it as a bit of a moral imperative to provide some flexibility on the back half of it for that exact reason. 

A hard and fast six-month limit is lazy ass senior leadership not trusting lazy ass middle leadership to make an informed decision about balancing personal needs and the needs of the Air Force. 

Could be you're a slacker looking to shirk a commitment. I dunno. Not sure we've ever met. But your SQ/CC does know you, your story, and the state of your community's manning. If he/she supported it, well, consider yourself backed by a random poster on base ops. 

Good luck. 

• Upvote 1

Community Manning is at 107% and my base is "double digit" T-6 IPs fat. I have a great record with good SQ and OG strats and a couple DGs, but from a smaller, less competitive base, so my records probably look better than if I was at a super wing for my first assignment.

I feel confident that I am doing the best thing for my family and feel I have given the AF ample opportunity to retain me on the AD force. I will probably end up telling my DO, but I just have this feeling that no matter what I write on this letter the promotion rate is going to be so high that I am still going to get picked up anyways, but at least I can sleep knowing that I at least tried.

Community Manning is at 107% and my base is "double digit" T-6 IPs fat. I have a great record with good SQ and OG strats and a couple DGs, but from a smaller, less competitive base, so my records probably look better than if I was at a super wing for my first assignment.

I feel confident that I am doing the best thing for my family and feel I have given the AF ample opportunity to retain me on the AD force. I will probably end up telling my DO, but I just have this feeling that no matter what I write on this letter the promotion rate is going to be so high that I am still going to get picked up anyways, but at least I can sleep knowing that I at least tried.

Duck when you say "community manning" are you talking AF wide T-6 manning? If so 107 is probably in accurate. My unit is around 70 (approx same for our other T-6 unit) which means someone would have to be extremely fat to take the average up to 107%. We are also Max performing DAV 64s to keep people from deploying because off manning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7 hours ago, 08Dawg said:

Two Major's boards in one year....maybe all those VSPs/RIFs/etc weren't such a good idea, huh?

There was no way we could have possibly seen this coming.

I know at least 5 people in my year group (05) who have gotten out between the board results and now.   Several right after pinning on major.

I also knew a guy trying to execute Duck's plan of getting passed over to push up his separation timeline.  I don't know if the two are correlated, but he didn't get promoted and his Palace Chase got approved.

Duck when you say "community manning" are you talking AF wide T-6 manning? If so 107 is probably in accurate. My unit is around 70 (approx same for our other T-6 unit) which means someone would have to be extremely fat to take the average up to 107%. We are also Max performing DAV 64s to keep people from deploying because off manning.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry I should have been more clear. My MWS is at 107% and my T-6 base is over-manned by the mid teens. No t-6 guy here is DAV coded.

Duck,

In the past two years, our squadron has had 3 people attempt early separation by the same means you're asking about, twice passed over.  One of them wrote his Do Not Promote letter to the board after his PRF was filled out, signed, and he had gotten a DP.  He was not passed over, unsurprisingly.  

The other two made their intentions known to their leadership.  One of them, after telling the Sq/CC about their plan to write a letter, met with the Wg/CC as well to argue for a P, and got it.  That person's argument was somewhat compelling, much like yours sounds to be.  They then wrote their own PRF and followed up with the exec to ensure it wasn't fixed "too strongly."  The only push back here was that the Sq/CC argued that sending off a PRF that was "too weak" would reflect poorly on the squadron.  So the PRF ended up being neither really weak nor the best it could be, but with the coveted P.  

The other person rolled the dice and only told the Sq/CC about the letter and hoped for the best regarding a P or DP.  They also got a P, and were passed over.  That person's PRF was weak to begin with though, due to making their intentions and motivations (or lack thereof) known years earlier, so the P followed from that.

Not sure if this helps, but it's three more data points.

• Upvote 1

On Wednesday, August 10, 2016 at 11:50 AM, otsap said:

The only push back here was that the Sq/CC argued that sending off a PRF that was "too weak" would reflect poorly on the squadron.

This quote basically sums up the reason I'm getting out. I'm content to indirectly watch the AF implode through my friends' Facebook posts, all while from the safety of my snuggly DD-214 blanket.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

I was notified today.  Not promoted on the second look with a DNP, continuation offered.  Fuck my life; I wanted a check on the way out.  I have multiple negative indicators and I'm sitting here beer in hand trying to figure out what else I could have done to get fired.  Apparently we're really desperate for pilots.  At least I get out of my ADSC early.

I was notified today.  Not promoted on the second look with a DNP, continuation offered.   my life; I wanted a check on the way out.  I have multiple negative indicators and I'm sitting here beer in hand trying to figure out what else I could have done to get fired.  Apparently we're really desperate for pilots.  At least I get out of my ADSC early.

Wow! Continuation offered? That's surprising.

Sent from my Nexus 5X using Tapatalk

I was notified via phone, so I haven't seen the paperwork yet.  My understanding is that if I accept it (I won't), then my current ADSCs come back into force but there is no additional ADSC for accepting it.  I should get a look at the paperwork probably next week, I'll update then.

9 hours ago, guineapigfury said:

I was notified via phone, so I haven't seen the paperwork yet.  My understanding is that if I accept it (I won't), then my current ADSCs come back into force but there is no additional ADSC for accepting it.  I should get a look at the paperwork probably next week, I'll update then.

if you're not looking at the airlines, PM me for (free) resume assistance.