Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

From above: "each eligible LAF major, within a critical skill listed above, selected for continuation will be continued until they reach 24 years of Total Active Federal Commissioned Service (TAFCS)."

If you accept continuation and are in "Critical Skill", you'll get to stay an extra 4 years past 20...Plan accordingly gents 

1 hour ago, jrizzell said:

From above: "each eligible LAF major, within a critical skill listed above, selected for continuation will be continued until they reach 24 years of Total Active Federal Commissioned Service (TAFCS)."

If you accept continuation and are in "Critical Skill", you'll get to stay an extra 4 years past 20...Plan accordingly gents .

Nope.. up to 24 years.  I'll still retire at 20.  And if I have an ADSC and offered continuation, won't they still make me serve (potentially) the remainder of my ADSC?

21 hours ago, SnapLock said:

I agree with all the advice above.  To the OP:  I came close to being in your situation in UPT.  We had an OSS/CC that felt it was suddenly a good idea to force the studs to take "official on the record" no notice PT tests a couple of times during training.  Luckily I never heard of anyone failing but that CC was a huge douche.  A bunch of us came close to failing because, yep, we had our noses in the books and spent the rest of the time chair flying etc.  Shockingly we were all so far from being due for out tests that we focused more on the task at hand instead of hitting the gym for a couple of hours each day.  I would argue that most people aren't in the shape of their lives at the end of UPT.  You had a bad test.  Like someone else said, go talk to your CC and explain you cramped up.  If you got above a 95 on your last test and look like you're in shape he might invalidate your test if you explain what happened.  If he's a good dude he will.  A friend of mine failed for the exact same reason as you.  His CC invalidated the test.  He retested a couple of days later and rocked it.  He's continued on without skipping a beat and is going places.  

If you can't get your test invalidated don't sweat it.  You failed at one of the better times to do something like that.  Have a good attitude, rock your retest, and you'll be fine.

Are you kidding me? And this is why 99% of the senior captains/majors I know want to GTFO ASAP. 

1 hour ago, dream big said:

Are you kidding me? And this is why 99% of the senior captains/majors I know want to GTFO ASAP. 

No, no I'm not kidding.  This was just the tip of the iceberg with this guy. ANNNDDDD, yes his leadership was the beginning of the end for me. 

On 6/1/2016 at 10:49 PM, danvgalhb said:

So, not to go off topic but a buddy brought this up to my attention so figured I'd share in case folks aren't aware of it.  I only included part of the continuation board announcement (the rest is on myPers) but it looks like the AF will be rubber stamping continuations for this year.  However, what struck me is the lengthy list of AFSCs that are apparently now "critical skills" for the AF.  I guess every skill is "critical" after the 2014 RIF losses?

I was also a bit skeptical about the 84% promotion opportunity for the CY16 0-5 board but this CB guidance practically validates that high opportunity percentage IMO.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"CY16B Major (LAF/MSC/BSC) and Captain (BSC) Selective Continuation Boards

Applicable to: Active Duty 

Eligibility 

LAF majors on the Air Force Active Duty list who fail selection to lieutenant colonel two or more times, including those who are retirement eligible under Title 10, U.S.C., Section 8911, or within two years of qualifying for retirement under Section 8911, and who are within the following critical skills: Pilots (11X); Bomber Combat Systems Officers (12B); Fighter Combat Systems Officers (12F); Rescue Combat Systems Officers (12H); Special Operations Combat Systems Officers (12S); Remotely Piloted Aircraft Pilots (12U, 13U, 18X); Air Liaison Officers (13L); Nuclear and Missile Operation Officers (13N); Space Operations Officers (13S); Intelligence Officers (14N); Cyber Warfare Operations Officers and Network Operations Officers (17X); Aircraft Maintenance Officers (21A); Munitions and Missile Maintenance Officers (21M); Logistics Readiness Officers (21R); Security Forces Officers (31P); Civil Engineer Officers (32E); Public Affairs Officers (35P); Operations Research Analyst Officers (61A); Physicist/Nuclear Engineer Officers (61D); Acquisition Manager Officers (63A); Contracting Officers (64P); Financial Management Officers (65F) as orf the 1st day of the 7th month after Principal Deputy Under Secretary of Defense for Personnel and Readiness (PDUSD {P&R}) approves results of the CY16B Lieutenant Colonel LAF, MSC, and BSC Central Selection Boards.

Length of Continuation Period 

Unless sooner retired or discharged under another provision of law, each eligible captain or major selected for continuation will be continued until such time as the officer qualifies for retirement under Section 8911, or age 62, whichever is earlier, with the exception of those LAF majors in a critical skill listed above. Each eligible LAF major, within a critical skill listed above, selected for continuation will be continued until they reach 24 years of Total Active Federal Commissioned Service (TAFCS)."

12B is critical, eh?  I'll hold my breath waiting for that bonus.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, pawnman said:

12B is critical, eh?  I'll hold my breath waiting for that bonus.

Doesn't mean they get a bonus.. I won't get the bonus.. even if I fall into an AFSC that gets a bonus, I will NEVER get one because as of June 9th (assuming I get continued) I will have a DOS which means I am no longer eligible for the bonus. 

Captains typically get continuation until 20 years.  Majors 24 years I believe.. 

Looking at the promotion statistics for Lt Col last year, what does the demographic "MAJCOM" mean? There was a 64% promotion rate for PRF's with a MAJCOM PAS code, as opposed to 72% overall. Does "MAJCOM"include everyone from the wings and the staffs all the way to MAJCOM staff? According to the statistics there were 985 eligibles at the MAJCOM level so that leaves 742 others...

Does that mean 742 people above MAJCOM level at COCOM and Joint Staffs? Seems like too many people. Who is NOT included in "MAJCOM?"

1 hour ago, ArcticGator said:

Looking at the promotion statistics for Lt Col last year, what does the demographic "MAJCOM" mean? There was a 64% promotion rate for PRF's with a MAJCOM PAS code, as opposed to 72% overall. Does "MAJCOM"include everyone from the wings and the staffs all the way to MAJCOM staff? According to the statistics there were 985 eligibles at the MAJCOM level so that leaves 742 others...

Does that mean 742 people above MAJCOM level at COCOM and Joint Staffs? Seems like too many people. Who is NOT included in "MAJCOM?"

Not sure about what you're looking at specifically, but when it says MAJCOM I believe it's referring to the promotion rate for that MAJCOM.  For example, a P in AFSOC got you what was really a 22% promotion rate (or close to it).  Other MAJCOMs do better.  Some worse.  AFSOC doesn't take care of people and if you are new to the command and not an AFSOC baby you are f'd.  

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Chicken said:

Not sure about what you're looking at specifically, but when it says MAJCOM I believe it's referring to the promotion rate for that MAJCOM.  For example, a P in AFSOC got you what was really a 22% promotion rate (or close to it).  Other MAJCOMs do better.  Some worse.  AFSOC doesn't take care of people and if you are new to the command and not an AFSOC baby you are f'd.  

I believe there will be quite the reckoning in the next two years for "mother" AFSOC.  A1 has no idea what is about to happen when ADSCs run out for the bulk of their "experience".  They aren't even planning for the level of attrition that "might" occur.  If manning is bad now....just wait, it'll be a bad day over Hanoi for the clerks.  I'm sure other MAJCOMs will suffer the same fate but the above quoted mentality in AFSOC will be their demise.  IMO.

I can't ever remember a time when afsoc has had a lower retention rate than the rest of the force. I've never been in the command though, so don't know the pulse of the senior captain types. 

1 hour ago, Winchester said:

I believe there will be quite the reckoning in the next two years for "mother" AFSOC.  A1 has no idea what is about to happen when ADSCs run out for the bulk of their "experience".  They aren't even planning for the level of attrition that "might" occur.  If manning is bad now....just wait, it'll be a bad day over Hanoi for the clerks.  I'm sure other MAJCOMs will suffer the same fate but the above quoted mentality in AFSOC will be their demise.  IMO.

I know Gen Heithold has specifically mentioned AFSOC promotion rates as something the command needs to get better at.  Rationale was that if we're trying to convince quality people to come to AFSOC we need to take care of them and part of that is getting them promoted.  Not sure how this is gonna jive with the drawdown in "official" combat operations.  Prior to 9/11 AFSOC's promotion rates generally lagged the rest of the AF.  Be interesting to see if Webb continues to put emphasis on this.

Current AFSOC trend is to not strat individuals unless they are in the top 15%

Is this in line with the rest of the Air Force?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

17 minutes ago, icohftb said:

didnt see it on mypers.. or do you mean commanders have it?

correct, 

certain level of CCs have it..... as well as execs

same as with any board results.   the list is out there a good week or 2 in advance.

36 minutes ago, Hot Sauce Hoy said:

Pretty sure senior rater types have it now but I don't think they are supposed to tell people until the day before public release, but I suspect some will find out tomorrow.

They do have it.

47 minutes ago, Skitzo said:

Current AFSOC trend is to not strat individuals unless they are in the top 15%

Is this in line with the rest of the Air Force?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In my neck of the woods it's top 25%, which can be broken along many different lines (AFSC, position, level).  Our current CC does not like strats among year-group, his rational is sound though I've heard good arguments to the contrary.

This is the first year I've paid attention to "the game" and it's been very interesting to see the... discussion take place among people who though they were a shoe in for promotion, and didn't make it.  Additionally, those that though they were BTZ.. but aren't.  We've started sharing that "You Are Not BTZ" article about, and having frank discussions with our peers...since most of the O5's can't seem to be honest about it, or don't know how to.

Seriously.. how hard is it to tell someone they're not in the top 25% and be honest about their future prospects?

Edited by 17D_guy

1 hour ago, Hot Sauce Hoy said:

Pretty sure senior rater types have it now but I don't think they are supposed to tell people until the day before public release, but I suspect some will find out tomorrow.

I've never understood this.  Why is this a huge secret until the official day?  Anyway, yes commanders have it and some already told their folks.