Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

On March 12, 2016 at 10:07 PM, C17Driver said:

It's based on pool size.

Line number is all about time in grade

tyoically OTS guys commissioning in Jan - May will have the first 300-500 line numbers.   

Zoomies will have the next 900

rotc and OTS will out the rest based on their month they commisioned

ATZ guys will always pin on first and BTZ always last

5 hours ago, bennynova said:

What significance does academy DG being 290 have??

they are still behind the OTS guys from Jan - May, correct?   

Yes, but after that, all the USAFA grad line numbers for the same year are in class-rank order.  DG is the first of his/her USAFA class to promote, and so on.  

DG is 10% of the graduating class. That is still around 90 people that have to be sorted. There is a huge formula that includes stuff like digits of your SSN to figure out line numbers.

Wrong. Academy grads get their line number based on Rank Order of Merit.

Wrong. Academy grads get their line number based on Rank Order of Merit.

Yup.

From mypers: criteria applied in order-

1 current grade dor

2 previous grade dor

3 total active federal commissioned service

4 total federal commissioned service

5 regular officers preceding reserve officers

6 regular Air Force acceptance date

7 grads of service academies, appointed as regular officers and assigned the same dor, on the active duty list in order if class standing

8 date of birth

9 reverse social security number with lowest taking precedence.

Some PRF-related wisdom from the inbox

You Are Not BTZ.pdf

Southwest.com "You may not be BTZ, but you'll make more money and have more fun doing it." Sadly (gladly for them), that's where the Air Force's true HPOs are going.

Some PRF-related wisdom from the inbox

You Are Not BTZ.pdf

This is a great read and extremely accurate. Young guys should take heed.

I'll add (from my position as an on-time non-HPO guy myself) a few of my personal observations...

In my little corner of the CAF, in the past few years I've noticed a possible pendulum swing in a favorable direction. I know a few on-timers currently serving as OG/CCs, and just recently have seen a few on-time dudes get hired as SQ/CCs over some BTZers. These were seen as surprising moves and in each case the dude chosen has a great rep as a solid bro who is well respected in the jet. None were career CCEs and in one case not even a school guy. On the other hand, the BTZers that were not hired had crappy reps as careerists and were not respected in the jet. I think this is a sign of leadership possibly realizing that performance, reputation, and demonstrated combat leadership abilities outweigh the box-check/pedigree method that was always seen as the standard for advancement.

The best advice I ever received was from my flight commander when I showed up at my first ops squadron. "You should strive to be the guy that people want to be on the flight schedule with - to do that you need to be good in the jet. After that, be good at your ground job, and then be good in the bar - in that order."

My experience is that if you work hard to be respected by your peers and subordinates, good leaders will notice and build their impression of you from those actions. Crappy leaders may not see that and you'll probably have a few of those. Treat them like threats - avoid if possible, if not minimize time in their MEZ and move on, pressing the attack on priority targets.

Timing and luck are mostly out of your control, but if you keep your head down and press you'll maximize your chances of being in the right place at the right time when the phone rings at 2AM.

• Upvote 2

There is the "selection" folder that is available pre-board...you use that one to verify everything in your record is correct.

The "board" folder lower down is the "as-met" and is not available until public release. It will have everything the board saw.

There is the "selection" folder that is available pre-board...you use that one to verify everything in your record is correct.

The "board" folder lower down is the "as-met" and is not available until public release. It will have everything the board saw.

Gotcha.

So how does the scoring system at a promotion board work?  Everyone starts with a 7.5...then does a DP add a certain number of points?  Is there actually specific guidance in the scoring or is it simply board member overall judgement and they all use their own scoring system to assign a score to the record?

• 4 weeks later...

Hey all, I recently failed my PT test as a Lt at UPT. Already got my assignment and graduated, just waiting to start follow on training. Hadn't stayed on top of things as a stud, and when I graduated I hit the gym pretty hard leading up to the fitness test. Showed up to the test sore (dumb), and cramped up on the sit-ups and subsequently failed by two. I'm reading that this is a pretty serious mistake. What's the typical outcome from this? I was pretty much told "don't sweat it just don't let it happen again" but it seems like this can end a career. 

I'm not sure how it will affect you while you are in training, it might affect your training report.  Failing the test isn't good though.  If you get the reputation of the guy that sucks at PT, it will definetly affect they way your leadership looks at you.  You really need to knock the PT Test out of the water the next time around and not ever fail again.  One of my buddies is a C-130 pilot at hurlburt and he failed his PT test, got a referral and was passed over for Maj.  

Edited by Chromedome
  • Upvote 3

8 hours ago, RaggedEd said:

Hey all, I recently failed my PT test as a Lt at UPT. Already got my assignment and graduated, just waiting to start follow on training. Hadn't stayed on top of things as a stud, and when I graduated I hit the gym pretty hard leading up to the fitness test. Showed up to the test sore (dumb), and cramped up on the sit-ups and subsequently failed by two. I'm reading that this is a pretty serious mistake. What's the typical outcome from this? I was pretty much told "don't sweat it just don't let it happen again" but it seems like this can end a career. 

Yup.  Big mistake.  On the bright side, you failed at the best possible time in your career to do so.  Work hard.  Never let it happen again.   Some far-fetched doors might be closed as a result, but you've got time to recover for all the important stuff.

Ragged,

.     Did you tell the PT admins that you cramped up? You might have the option to get the test invalidated by your CC followed by a retest, but you have to act quickly, hopefully your failure was today. 

Unfortunately, this failure has the potential to have a much bigger impact on your career than it should. In the C-17 community, it would be really tough to not be at the bottom of the rack and stack when it comes time to hand out some crappy assignment, even if you avoid a referral OPR. 

Don't let this get you down though, if anything just focus on rocking your next course.