Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

1 hour ago, ArcticGator said:

How much does a "super p" help the chances of promotion? Is there any kind of tracked data on that?

There are way too many other variables to track that data.  "Super P" means nothing if there isn't a decent record of performance to back it up (i.e., strats, PME pushes, and follow-on staff recommendations that match the strat ).  It also depends a great deal on who is signing the PRF.  Not all senior raters carry the same amount of weight.  To make matters more complicated, a senior rater that would have normally done well at an MLR or CSB can be called out for shenanigans that affect his/her credibility and therefore influence the outcome of the boards.  Examples include strong positive language on a bottom line with no record to back it up, multiple "super P" or "if I had one more..." pushes amongst eligibles, or exaggerated/just plain untruthful verbiage in the narrative that board members catch.

• Upvote 1

Re: Champ - I saw the ACC/CV get up from the table at an MLR and call the Hill Wing/CC to tell him his PRFs were terrible, and that said Wing/CCs signature was about to be the reason no one from his base got promoted...

So it happens!

Chuck

• Upvote 1

Re: Champ - I saw the ACC/CV get up from the table at an MLR and call the Hill Wing/CC to tell him his PRFs were terrible, and that said Wing/CCs signature was about to be the reason no one from his base got promoted...

So it happens!

Chuck

This^

Senior rater credibility matters, and the boards see right through any of the SR's shenanigans.

How much does a "super p" help the chances of promotion? Is there any kind of tracked data on that?

There are way too many other variables to track that data.  "Super P" means nothing if there isn't a decent record of performance to back it up (i.e., strats, PME pushes, and follow-on staff recommendations that match the strat ).  It also depends a great deal on who is signing the PRF.  Not all senior raters carry the same amount of weight.  To make matters more complicated, a senior rater that would have normally done well at an MLR or CSB can be called out for shenanigans that affect his/her credibility and therefore influence the outcome of the boards.  Examples include strong positive language on a bottom line with no record to back it up, multiple "super P" or "if I had one more..." pushes amongst eligibles, or exaggerated/just plain untruthful verbiage in the narrative that board members catch.

Ok then let's assume the person has a solid record just short of receiving a DP and the SR has a good reputation for not speeding. In that case would "super p" make a difference or is it just fluff BS?

Didn't he just say that reputation of SR + "super P" = good?

But look, bottom line is that AMC promoted like 5 dudes to Lt Col who had Ps this last board. I forget the stats AF wide.

BL on the bottom: if you have a P, you're probably not gonna get promoted to Lt Col in AMC.

What are we defining as a Super P? Definitely Promote despite a P? Most of what I've seen in AFSOC is that a P without a Definitely Promote is a "do not promote" without any deregotary in your record. I got this super P on my 2BTZ. I've also seen BTZ folks get blank PRFs as well.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5 hours ago, Skitzo said:

What are we defining as a Super P? Definitely Promote despite a P? Most of what I've seen in AFSOC is that a P without a Definitely Promote is a "do not promote" without any deregotary in your record. I got this super P on my 2BTZ. I've also seen BTZ folks get blank PRFs as well.

A Super P is a P with a bottom line stating "if I had one more DP," "my next DP if I had one," or something to that effect - effectively making the recipient that #1 of the P stack.  They're not tracked officially, but its about the best chance of getting promoted with a P provided the records are there to back it up.

So that's the third or fourth post pretty much saying the same thing....

In summary, get a DP, but those efforts start years before your PRF is written. If you can't pull a DP, hopefully your SR at least knows your name and you have someone in your chain of command pulling for you.

Has anyone seen a similar scenario:

"...10 months after 2015 ratee signature and OPR Closeout, AFPC rejects document for 'unauthorized push line verbiage' then returns it Group, Squadron, and ratee for signatures."

I'll PM actual text to anyone with recent exec experience or knowledge of current eval policies.

My main reason for concern is the use of this 'unauthorized' OPR in the CY16 O-5 Board, 1ABZ at that. 

Thoughts?

10 minutes ago, D_Vezencuando said:

Has anyone seen a similar scenario:

"...10 months after 2015 ratee signature and OPR Closeout, AFPC rejects document for 'unauthorized push line verbiage' then returns it Group, Squadron, and ratee for signatures."

I'll PM actual text to anyone with recent exec experience or knowledge of current eval policies.

My main reason for concern is the use of this 'unauthorized' OPR in the CY16 O-5 Board, 1ABZ at that. 

Thoughts?

oooooh

what was this unauthorized verbiage?   PM me if you don't want it public.  

59 minutes ago, ArcticGator said:

Are records at a promotion board evaluated in a random order? Are you grouped with the rest of your Senior Raters ratees? Are the records anonymous or can the board members see your name?

i don't know the answers to most, if any of these first hand. 

learjetter sat on a board.   perhaps he'd divulge.

i have heard that the packages are divided up into 3-5 groups, and only your group usually scores/sees your package.    i am unsure if all pilots are in same group vs all maintainers in another, etc etc. 

Are records at a promotion board evaluated in a random order? Are you grouped with the rest of your Senior Raters ratees? Are the records anonymous or can the board members see your name?

The records are randomized. Not grouped by SR, or rating. Each panel of 5 colonels has rated and non rated officers on it, and sees both rated and non rated records in the line catagory. Panels read the whole record, including your name.

From what I understand, the instructions to the board were to pay no regard to B/I/APZ on this most recent cycle. This instruction was probably followed, as the #1 line number on this Major's board was 6APZ!

I didn't really care if the records were IPZ or APZ. To find out would require careful looking for clues in the DQHB and various dates in the record. If the board instructions were to disregard zone, then you can bet no one looked for the clues.

19 hours ago, Hot Sauce Hoy said:

Learjetter, how do board members know if you are IPZ or APZ? Is there a code somewhere on the PRF?  I only see the box checked I/APZ. What tells them what year group you are in?  Do they have to look at the dates on DQHB?

//startsarcasm// Everyone in the zone has OPRs starting around the same time.  The guy at 3 APZ has a few more I think.  //endsarcasm//

Out

• Upvote 1

22 hours ago, ihtfp06 said:

From what I understand, the instructions to the board were to pay no regard to B/I/APZ on this most recent cycle. This instruction was probably followed, as the #1 line number on this Major's board was 6APZ!

You are joking I hope.