Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

not if Congress has any say.  My year group, the first 3 months (Oct-Dec) of pin-on it went like clockwork (250/mo).  In Jan that came to a screeching halt "DOPMA grade ceiling blah blah blah" and suddenly only 112/mo.  Delayed my pin-on by 4 months.

Hopefully since they pushed up the '07 boards by a couple of months things will stay on track. Next boards PRFs are already being written in my sqdn. I'm hoping my line number of 1766 happens sooner than next Jan. Here's to hoping anyways. 

On 1/27/2016 at 2:54 PM, Whitman said:

370 IDE Selects, 2067 Selected Major LAF:  17.9% selects.  

Picked up this board, but no school.  Out of curiosity, how many are going to IDE in-res each year?  Anyone know the guidance right now on candidates and the chances of candidates getting picked up by their 3rd look?  I know just a couple of years ago it was virtually impossible to get picked up as a candidate, but it seems to have gotten a little better recently.  I'm 99% sure I'm going to punch, but am interested to see what the consensus is here for what the future of a candidate is looking like.   

I saw a brief at A/TA that said 25% of in-res spots would go to candidates this year. My wing had it's #1 Wg/CC candidate push get picked up on his 3d look. I'd say the chances of going in-res today are much better than they've been in the past 3-4 years.

Our Wg/CC said the "new idea" is to have more candidates go and less selects.  Maybe they finally realized selects are bailing at a high rate and they shouldn't put so many of their eggs in the "this guy's going to be a 4 star!" basket.  We'll see if it holds true, but sounds like candidates are in better shape than previously.

• Upvote 1

I think it is because they are tired of getting embarrassed when their Golden Children Selects turn down school and then promptly separate.

• Upvote 3

It's an easy game: give people some semblance of family life ability and don't waste their time on bullshit taskers, deployments, stuff that has absolutely zero to do with their job, etc.  Keep doing that shit and 95% of the "golden children" will keep punching.  A few incentives go a long way, but the AF has apparently zero capability to pull its cranium out of its ass and see that.

• Upvote 4

Question for anyone that might now, I found out I'm a school select on this past majors board, I'll have more than 2 year TOS by Sep 2017.  Historically speaking if you're a school select and meet the TOS requirements can I corny to go on 1st look?  I know with the killer ops tempo, my cc would prefer to keep me as long as he can, but from what I hear AFPC doesn't care too much about ops defer requests... Lemme know what you think?

Have a buddy who was a select, said "don't send me to school" on the form whatever, all CC's concurred for ops requirements...got school on 1st look.  All he wanted was to not leave on his 1st look and have another year - completely reasonable.  Fast forward and the AF has lost another great dude from a 7 day opt.  Good job AF, you're doing a great job managing people, keep it up.

1 minute ago, brabus said:

Have a buddy who was a select, said "don't send me to school" on the form whatever, all CC's concurred for ops requirements...got school on 1st look.  All he wanted was to not leave on his 1st look and have another year - completely reasonable.  Fast forward and the AF has lost another great dude from a 7 day opt.  Good job AF, you're doing a great job managing people, keep it up.

But.. how else will we get officers to develop?

• Upvote 1

SRs are generally required to nominate all eligible selects unless they have a really good excuse (mission critical/hardship/etc), so expect a nom if you're a select and meet TOS requirements and stuff - the school nom PSDM will have the details.  He/She can still make comments about not sending you yet, but clicking the nominate box will be mandatory in all likelihood.

zb

SRs are generally required to nominate all eligible selects unless they have a really good excuse (mission critical/hardship/etc), so expect a nom if you're a select and meet TOS requirements and stuff - the school nom PSDM will have the details.  He/She can still make comments about not sending you yet, but clicking the nominate box will be mandatory in all likelihood.

zb

Even if the SR doesn't nominate, folks can still be tagged to go. Previous squadron had two who were not nominated due to manning yet both are going. this summer

What Muscle said is what happened to my buddy.  50% manned/he's mission critical, so SR said don't send because of that.  AFPC: "Sounds good, here's his rip for school."  Here's an idea, what if we weren't obsessed with useless PME, or at the min just did it all via distant learning.  This BS we call an "education" is certainly doable via distant learning at the 100% rate.  In res is a jobs program for AU.  The only caveat is MAYBE the small opportunities like sending a guy to a civilian school.  He gets a great education, BUT much of the time I still question how useful that masters is to the AF/that officer during their AF career.  The friends I have going to those opportunities are guys who will do just as well in their continued career without the additional masters.

Big blue has decided that the folks with the best records need to be pulled out of their communities as soon as possible to check the boxes for Wg/CC.  The assumption is they need to fit in school, staff, Sq/CC, school, OG/CC or CV, and maybe another staff.  The earlier they start, the better chance they have of completing the Air Force's self imposed hurdles within some arbitrary time-frame.  Unfortunately, ops tempo, manning, joint spouse and the select's own wishes have taken a back seat to making this happen.  It boggles the mind that the Air Force puts their future leaders in positions where they strongly consider 7 day opting.  And it skews the pool toward the career driven, everything-else-be-damned types.   

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, NKAWTG said:

Big blue has decided that the folks with the best records need to be pulled out of their communities as soon as possible to check the boxes for Wg/CC.  The assumption is they need to fit in school, staff, Sq/CC, school, OG/CC or CV, and maybe another staff.  The earlier they start, the better chance they have of completing the Air Force's self imposed hurdles within some arbitrary time-frame.  Unfortunately, ops tempo, manning, joint spouse and the select's own wishes have taken a back seat to making this happen.  It boggles the mind that the Air Force puts their future leaders in positions where they strongly consider 7 day opting.  And it skews the pool toward the career driven, everything-else-be-damned types.   

In their eyes this is likely a feature and not a bug.

Okay, so I know asking a question like this is like asking a car mechanic to tell me if I should/shouldn't be concerned about my car without letting the mechanic inspect the car (i.e., my records).  However, I figure there's no harm in asking my question anyways.

So, I got my PRF (for the upcoming 0-5 board) and I didn't get a 'DP' in the box (got a 'P' in the box instead) but my 0-9 gave me a "#3/36 I/A/BPZ" 0-4s strat.  I have a good pile of "#1" strats/awards reflected in my OPRs (and in my PRF) but no overall FGO quarterly/annual awards (I don't volunteer for anything (e.g. community service) and just get stuff done).  I was told my record did go to the MLR but apparently didn't have enough stuff to earn a 'DP' in the box.

I have heard from others that I should be "thrilled" with such a PRF bottom line but I have mixed feelings.  I know a #3/36 0-4s sounds encouraging but since I didn't get the 'DP' in the box checked, am I right not to get excited about the PRF bottom line?

For anyone who has sat on a board, I'd definitely appreciate your thoughts but all inputs are welcome.

All the more reason our promotion system is jacked up and based on dubious messages.

Dude is a Lt Gen's #3 eligible in a sizable pool and he doesn't know what to think with regard to his chances because of conflicting messages on the PRF.

Nonsense.

• Upvote 3