Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

Does a douche like that get picked up by an airline or do guys who run people over in their careers finally get what they deserve?

Does a douche like that get picked up by an airline or do guys who run people over in their careers finally get what they deserve?

If I remember the story correctly, he left AD for the airlines before 9/11 then got furloughed, found an ARC job then managed to get back on AD as a speech writer at the pentagon. Someone else can link his bio…

If I remember the story correctly, he left AD for the airlines before 9/11 then got furloughed, found an ARC job then managed to get back on AD as a speech writer at the pentagon. Someone else can link his bio…

Scary thought: he could still be on a furlough list somewhere and be well ahead of some of y'all in seniority if he decides to go back. Sorry for ruining your Sunday.

Scary thought: he could still be on a furlough list somewhere and be well ahead of some of y'all in seniority if he decides to go back. Sorry for ruining your Sunday.

What are those rules, again?

#1 Timing is everything

#2 Life isn't fair

#3 There is no justice

On that note, anyone know what company?

BO.net braintrust,

Searched and couldn't find a recent/relevant answer (and I'm just too lazy to search AFIs)... what happens behind the curtain if you begin the separation process in between the time PRFs are due and the promotion list is released? Does the fact that your separation date is after the expected results list have any bearing on the outcome, or is your name automatically removed from consideration?

I imagine your name is pulled, but I could be wrong.

BO.net braintrust,

Searched and couldn't find a recent/relevant answer (and I'm just too lazy to search AFIs)... what happens behind the curtain if you begin the separation process in between the time PRFs are due and the promotion list is released? Does the fact that your separation date is after the expected results list have any bearing on the outcome, or is your name automatically removed from consideration?

I imagine your name is pulled, but I could be wrong.

You are wrong, if by "due" you mean due to the board. We had a guy recently get selected for Lt Col after he separated and went to the reserves.

If you establish a separation date prior to PRFs being due (30 days prior to board), that fact will show up on your PRF indirectly, or on your DQHB directly as a DOS. It does NOT automatically DQ you from promotion consideration. The board will weigh the fact you've got a DOS as just one factor among all the others when scoring your record. If you establish the DOS after the board starts, the board won't know. In either case, you can show up on the promotion list.

• 2 weeks later...

So... not counting on a DP for my O5 board this year. And if I get a P...based on the blood bath last year...not hopeful for the board to select me for O5. So with that, anyone have any idea/prediction to what continuation will be like? I think someone else asked it, but is the standard now going to be passed over twice and booted? And which AFSCs are considered critically manned?

And if I get a P...based on the blood bath last year...not hopeful for the board to select me for O5.

Chicken, not sure your particulars but even last year P's had a 50/50 shot. Plus I think this year the overall rate will be 84% with 58% dp rate....this giving a non dp a 62% chance if my math was correct. Somewhere. I just saw my PRF with a P and wasn't overly concerned.

A little concerned...yes, but hopefully I can nudge out 38% of the bottom.

Anyone out there know the other factors this year?

Edited by di1630

Chicken, not sure your particulars but even last year P's had a 50/50 shot. Plus I think this year the overall rate will be 86% if I read correctly on here. Somewhere. I just saw my PRF with a P and wasn't overly concerned.

Anyone out there know the chances?

I don't have the brief anymore.. but last year overall was about 75%. DP was about a 99% and Ps on average were about 35%. Where did you see the overall rate of 86% for this year? My record is average.. last OPR was very good...

last year

Go back a few pages I this thread for the numbers. I edited my above response. Not good at math but I'd say better than a 35% chance for sure...my running of last years number are 48% shot for a P...and none of these factor in possible DP #s if those exist. Edited by di1630

Dorking around on mypers - I just read that the majors board results will be out in early February ("status of boards" page), much faster than in past years. Also, from the current rate of '04 pin-ons, '05 pin-ons should start around June.

zb

Dorking around on mypers - I just read that the majors board results will be out in early February ("status of boards" page), much faster than in past years. Also, from the current rate of '04 pin-ons, '05 pin-ons should start around June.

zb

Happens every year. My YG was 113 pin-on's per month until Nov, then everyone cashed out between Nov and Dec.

zb

That seems pretty fast. Guess they had to clear out the 05 YG before the 06 YG Major's board starts 21 Sept this year.

Looking at the percentages listed above regarding P/DP actually getting promoted, does it hold true regardless of IPZ, APZ, BPZ? I went to the link & couldn't figure out. Basically, does a APZ/BPZ guy with DP still have a 99% shot at being selected?

Try this article, which links to mypers and even more stats... (CAC login)

http://www.afpc.af.mil/news/story.asp?id=123416000

I know far more dudes who got DPs BTZ and got skunked than I do that got promoted.

Chuck

• Upvote 3

Today, in my little corner of the AF, my SR chose to wait until the day before to distribute our PRFs even though he had them done days before. Why would a SR do this?

He also didn't hand them out himself, he forwarded them to the Group Commanders for distro and provided no feedback. Is that normal?

-9-

Looking at the percentages listed above regarding P/DP actually getting promoted, does it hold true regardless of IPZ, APZ, BPZ? I went to the link & couldn't figure out. Basically, does a APZ/BPZ guy with DP still have a 99% shot at being selected?

//wall of text alert//

No. DP allocations for IPZ/APZ and BPZ are different.

A DP given IPZ traditionally gives you your 99% chance of getting picked up.

A DP given APZ is rare, comes from the SR's allocation of IPZ DPs, and 50+% of the time, gives a guy a 99% chance of getting picked up.

A DP given BPZ is also rare, but not as rare as APZ. I'd say they have a >50% success rate.

AFPC keeps stats on all boards, and several MAJCOMs (A1) sites will have more specific demographics.

Example (very simplified) cohort:

The AF has 1378 LAF majors (all zones) eligible for P0515B (promotion board, to O5, CY'15, second officer promotion board of the year). 800 BPZ, 200 APZ, and 378 IPZ. Promotion "opportunity" is 85%. So there are 321 promotions to be had (378x.85=321)

A Wing has 70 of the 1378 majors.

Of the 70:

40 are 2 or 1 year BPZ

15 are IPZ

15 are APZ (1, 2, 3+ APZ, continued)

The Wg/CC is the Senior Rater (SR).

For this board only, the DP allocation rate is 25%

I/APZ (378x.25=95 DPs)

10% BPZ. (800 x .1=80 DPs).

So, our SR can give 3.75 DPs to I/APZ records (15 IPZ x 25% = 3.75)

The SR will allocate 3 DPs to the 3 "best" I/APZ records (as he/she decides), and take the .75 DP to the MLR.

The SR can award up to 4 DPs (10% of 40=4) to the top BPZ records.

At the MLR, all the SRs in the MAJCOM (usually, wing/CCs, staff directors, etc) toss their "leftover" DP fractions together to create whole DPs. Our guy put in .75, all the others put in their leftovers, and after adding them all up, the MLR can award 4 more I/APZ DPs. Now, the SR (typically) shows all the other SRs the DP records he awarded on his own, then competes his next-best record for one of the MLRs DPs. Our guy has good records, so he wins 2 more DPs from the MLR (5 total).

After the MLR, our SR's rack-n-stack looks like this:

BPZ. IPZ. APZ

1 DP. 1-4 DP. 1 DP

2 DP. 5-14 P. 2-14 P

3 P.* 15 DNP 15 DNP

4-38: P

39-40: DNP**

* this guy is eligible for DP, but SR doesn't think the record supports a DP.

**(All DNPs are guys with referral OPRs, Art15s, prisoners, etc)

Assuming the rest of the AF did it nearly the same way, most SRs lists will look very similar.

At the actual board, the 1378 records are randomly assigned to maybe six panels, each panel comprised of 5 LAF Colonels. So each panel scores ~222 records, scoring each one between a 6.0-10.0 scale, in .5 increments. If any 2 or more Colonels scores differ more than 1.5, the record is flagged and the "split" is discussed and resolved.

Your record's board score is the sum of the 5 scores from each Colonel.

You got a P, and your record got:

1. 2. 3. 4. 5.

7.5. 7.0. 7.0. 7.5. 8.0 =. 37.0

The best record in the board got a 50.0. The 1378th record got 30.0. The list looks like this:

1 50

2 49.5

3 49.0

4-79: 48.5-46

80-121: 45.5-42

122-176: 42-40

177-289: 39.5-38

290-316: 37.5-36

317-321: 35.5

322-399: 35-34.5

400-1378: 34-30

So, since there are 321 promotions available, everyone who scored 35.5 or more gets put in the initial promotion list. As a quality check, all the records with scores between 35 and 36 are rescored and a final top 321 list is built. Record #322 now gets rescored, if that record is fully qualified for promotion, then the process is complete (#322 does not get promoted, but his being fully qualified ensures everyone who DOES get promoted is fully qualified).

In the end, our fake board promoted the full 85% (321), with 275 IPZ, 35 BPZ, and 11 APZ.

There were 800 BPZ, 80 BPZ DPs, and 35 promoted.

There were 378 IPZ, 83 DPs (22% of the 25% allocation rate), and 275 promoted.

There were 200 APZ, 12 DPs (3% of the 25% DP allocation rate), and 11 promoted.

Congrats to all my fake Lt Col selects.

Your board #s will vary, but this illustration is typical.

Check your records (PRDA) , check your SURF (AMS) and DQHB (vMPF) often, and see your CSS to correct errors...and keep your ADP, VRED, and SGLI updated at least annually.

And not least: talk to your Sq commanders, talk to your group commanders, find a mentor. Ask questions, ask for frank feedback.

And...don't suck.

Good luck.

ETA: for the purists out there: yes, this is oversimplified, yes, I left out some stuff. This was intended only as "telling-time", not how to build a watch.

Edited by Learjetter
  • Upvote 9