Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

For the Majors board, what % of people get strats in the push line? Is it a standard number or does it vary by Senior Rater? If you don't get a strat, are your chances of school select slim to none? Thanks

Anecdotal evidence from a PRF written in 2010 for the Dec-10 Majors board: #5/13 strat on his PRF with a DP was a school select. That's the only hard evidence I have to help answer your question. (It probably didn't hurt that the guy was #1 in his entire SOS class)

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Anecdotal evidence from a PRF written in 2010 for the Dec-10 Majors board: #5/13 strat on his PRF with a DP was a school select. That's the only hard evidence I have to help answer your question. (It probably didn't hurt that the guy was #1 in his entire SOS class)

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

That's a perfect example of the tomfoolery ASW SOS strats. Unless #1-4 were also selects, it's disheartening to see an SOS strat drive the entire machine. Yet it does. We frequently see guys rated higher by MAJCOM passed over for school slots by folks who are rated lower in every category except SOS.

I have a bud who was a Senior Rater's #5/11 who got tagged as a select, and I know two others who were SRs' #1/4 & #1/3 who did not. While I'm not much for the over-emphasis on SOS, Liquid was right when he said that strats are important but aren't everything. The bottom line carries a lot of weight, probably more weight than any other strat in the PRF - but it isn't necessarily everything. If it was, why would we even bother with PRFs - the SRs could just rank order everyone and be done.

I recall coming across a slide from a year or two ago entitled "what we value" for promotions that was briefed to a Corona. The items I remember seeing for the O-4 category were (not in any particular order):

- mission accomplishment/results/scope

- combat/deployments

- awards

- combat decorations & decorations

- strats

- IG results/inspections

- DGs

- progression in organizations

- instructor

- PME

- ??? may have been one or two others but those are the ones I recall

Chime in Liquid - does this look fairly close to what boards are looking at in records?

zb

In the case of the dude being #1 in his SOS class but being #5/13 on his PRF, I'd like to think the WG/CC knew this guy would be a school select and therefore tried to use his higher strats on others? I don't know how #1-#4 faired on the board though.

At the Corona last fall, the MAJCOM CCs and CSAF talked about what we value as an AF and what we should value at promotion boards. I helped chop on the input below that was sent to CSAF and HAF A1 from our MAJCOM CC. He sent this in Oct:

"What we value in every officer for promotion (in priority order)

Capt to Major

1. Job performance (AC, IP, EP, WIC, AMU OIC, FLT CC, etc)

2. Leading Airmen both in garrison and deployed

3. Combat deployments, deployed mission commander

4. SOS

5. Additional duties: exec, safety, training, current ops & scheduling, plans, etc. This provides us insight into which officers can master their primary skill set and also handle increased responsibility.

6. Optional: Masters Degree

Major to Lt Col

1. Job performance

2. Leading Airmen both in garrison and deployed

3. Combat deployment mission commander

4. Joint job - GCC, OSD, JS, Inter-agency

5. HQs job- HAF, MAJCOM

6. IDE either in-residence or correspondence

7. Masters degree

Lt Col to Col

1. Job performance

2. Squadron commander

3. Leading Airmen both in-garrison and deployed mission commander

4. Joint job - GCC, OSD, JS, Inter-agency

5. HQs job- HAF, MAJCOM

6. SDE either in-residence or correspondence

7. Masters degree"

Not sure what the response was or if there was one. I've heard the CSAF and A1 are working on the vector and new promotion board guidance. Hopefully this guidance will include masking AAD at O-4 board, MLR and prohibit using it for DP consideration.

• Upvote 3

Damn straight! It's good we are starting to get the ball rolling in the right direction... It's going to be even more important to keep it rolling-looking at you Wg/CCs and future leadership.

As mentioned earlier, "be good at your job/do your job", work hard, take care of others, and unfortunately luck, timing, and who you know will help you out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Ravens52

The AAD elephant is institutional and its going to take a while to change people's way of thinking. Example, I recently did a career day where OTS cadets get to talk to someone in their AFSCs for a while about what their job will be like. A cadet asked whether he should start a masters degree now before he got to pilot training since "he had some time" (was going to be casual for several months). My answer was no way, the CSAF said that's not important and if you're worrying about a masters going through UPT your're ing up. All 3 O-5s in the room told him it was a good idea to get it started and his thinking was good. Its gonna take awhile, I just hope that Welsh can position a successor that has similar ideas to his about whats important in the AF.

Dude, we have come completely 360* full circle on this issue....

I can still remember the day, as a 1Lt maybe 10 or 12 years ago when the OG said "If the air force wants you to get a masters, we will send you to AFIT/whatever"...that was awesome for my free time allocation decision matrix...

4 years later they sent a PDSM giving us i think 16-18 months headsup that they were unmasking degrees for the 2008 majors board...

All i'm saying is, buyer beware on this whole BS....i'd put money on the whole thing going the same direction in the next 4 years.

Guest ThatGuy

The AAD elephant is institutional and its going to take a while to change people's way of thinking. Example, I recently did a career day where OTS cadets get to talk to someone in their AFSCs for a while about what their job will be like. A cadet asked whether he should start a masters degree now before he got to pilot training since "he had some time" (was going to be casual for several months). My answer was no way, the CSAF said that's not important and if you're worrying about a masters going through UPT your're ######ing up. All 3 O-5s in the room told him it was a good idea to get it started and his thinking was good. Its gonna take awhile, I just hope that Welsh can position a successor that has similar ideas to his about whats important in the AF.

Hmmmm, I think there has been rumblings on this forum the next CSAF might be a female and not a flyer. Different ideas on the horizon. I think the AF could use a bit of change.

That's a dude who has done all his PME via correspondence. Except for his 2nd masters, which I suppose is the SDE equivalent since it was at the National Defense Univ in national resource strategy...specific to acquisitions methinks? Or it's a masters in recycling, I'll google it later when I give a shit. Granted his first masters at MIT in aerospace/aeronautical engineering is impressive, but what could he possibly bring to the table other than an 80's pompadour?

That's a dude who has done all his PME via correspondence. Except for his 2nd masters, which I suppose is the SDE equivalent since it was at the National Defense Univ in national resource strategy...specific to acquisitions methinks? Or it's a masters in recycling, I'll google it later when I give a shit. Granted his first masters at MIT in aerospace/aeronautical engineering is impressive, but what could he possibly bring to the table other than an 80's pompadour?

*She