Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

In the addendum to the PDE AFI it states that all Capts with the exception of MC and DC will be required to attend in-res. However, senior raters have the ability to block underperforming officers from attending in-res SOS.

The way I take that is that in-res will become more of a discriminator. Not going or doing correspondence will mean your senior rater actually blocked you from going in-res.

yes,

It really seems like the CMSAF is coming through on a bunch of this stuff. And doing it in a way that will last instead of just issuing a memo or talking about it. AFI's are getting changed, and solid guidance to senior raters.

At least that's how I take it.

In the addendum to the PDE AFI it states that all Capts with the exception of MC and DC will be required to attend in-res. However, senior raters have the ability to block underperforming officers from attending in-res SOS.

The way I take that is that in-res will become more of a discriminator. Not going or doing correspondence will mean your senior rater actually blocked you from going in-res.

Perhaps, but if you are so under-performing your senior rater won't send you to SOS, then you probably don't have much longer in the AF anyway.

Perhaps, but if you are so under-performing your senior rater won't send you to SOS, then you probably don't have much longer in the AF anyway.

Yeah, except for the SR who's going to refuse to send a guy because he has a Q3 in his FEF. It's still a one mistake Air Force.

Isn't vast majority of O-3's planned to be in-res though? Is that not a good discriminator now?

Think about the next step... IDE/SDE. In-res will now be an even larger discriminator for the next highest grade, IMHO. But for the bump to major, yeah, it's exactly as you describe it - a non-factor really.

Chuck

Yeah, except for the SR who's going to refuse to send a guy because he has a Q3 in his FEF. It's still a one mistake Air Force.

If he's going to refuse to send him to SOS, what do you suppose he's going to put on the PRF?

Think about the next step... IDE/SDE. In-res will now be an even larger discriminator for the next highest grade, IMHO. But for the bump to major, yeah, it's exactly as you describe it - a non-factor really.

Chuck

Yes IDE/SDE in-res are going to be huge, but the real question is how will an officer be evaluated for IDE/SDE vector/push?

Gen Welsh's intent is to get rid of the box-checking mentality (AAD, SOS in-res) and evaluate/promote junior officers based on performance. Promotion selection process has changed, the mid-level dudes/dudettes need to evaluate officers based on job performance instead of new box-checking criteria (such as volunteer, PT history) or this is a wasted effort.

My 2 cents.

Edited by PanchBarnes

Promotion selection process has changed, the mid-level dudes/dudettes need to evaluate officers based on job performance instead of new box-checking criteria (such as volunteer, PT history) or this is a wasted effort.

I think that's the whole point.

While we're at it, just close the zoo, it costs too much anyways and is always in trouble in the news. I'm serious, shut the bitch down.

Totally agree. And I'll take it one step further: the only commissioning source should be OTS, fastest and cheapest.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by hispeed7721
  • Upvote 3

Totally agree. And I'll take it one step further: the only commissioning source should be OTS, fastest and cheapest.

I'm curious to find the cost difference between training an officer via ROTC vs OTS. The quick google search had old data, and usually assumes an ROTC cadet is on scholarship. I would argue that if all cadets were on non-scholarship, that ROTC might be not too far from the cost of OTS. Either way, being able to observe a cadet for 3-5 years before deciding whether or not to commission them, give them a pilot slot, etc is probably a better overall indicator of initial/future performance in the Air Force vs just the application process (where OTS applicants learn what job they will get) and the 12 week course of training/deciding whether or not to commission a cadet (this part might be as good as ROTC?). As for costs, the bigger Dets can train a cadet cheaper than the smaller Dets since the cadre and facilities are present in both, regardless of how many get commissioned. With the recent cuts, has anyone heard of smaller Dets being shut down? But I agree, the service academies are not a good value compared to the alternatives.

It's an interesting debate, and probably better on another thread (I'm sure this has been argued in another thread but I'm too lazy to check).

"BLUF: To set clear expectations and restore Airman's time, the following changes are being implemented emphasizing job performance as the primary consideration when evaluating officers for promotion:
A. AADs will not be expected until promotion to colonel for line of the Air Force officers. All data pertaining to AADs will be removed from all promotion-related documents prior to colonel. The promotion-related documents affected are: The Officer Pre-selection Brief (OPB); the Officer Selection Brief (OSB); and the Duty Qualification History Brief (DQHB).
B. Method and timing of DE will be removed from all promotion-related documents (OPB, OSB, and DQHB). These documents will only highlight the level of DE, and the status will reflect that it has been "Completed," and for officers selected to attend DE in-residence, it will reflect "Select."
The first promotion board to implement the new policy will be the Major's (LAF) Central Selection Board scheduled for Dec. 1."
YAHTZEE!