Promotion and PRF Information

Guest e3racing

Thanks @frog, @Duck, and @Breckey on the info about the boards. It’s a whole process up there I have no idea about. 

@pawnman / everyone else,

I see all the posts talking about strats and awards being so important for promotion. Have you seen people who have gone the breadth of experience compete well with those who have depth? Any example I’ve thought about, the depth just seems much more promotable on paper.

3 minutes ago, Spaceballs said:

Thanks @frog, @Duck, and @Breckey on the info about the boards. It’s a whole process up there I have no idea about. 

@pawnman / everyone else,

I see all the posts talking about strats and awards being so important for promotion. Have you seen people who have gone the breadth of experience compete well with those who have depth? Any example I’ve thought about, the depth just seems much more promotable on paper.

My experience is the opposite.  People who stay in the community and become experts in the B-1 usually don't do as well as people who do literally anything else - UPT, ALO, staff, etc.

2 hours ago, pawnman said:

My experience is the opposite.  People who stay in the community and become experts in the B-1 usually don't do as well as people who do literally anything else - UPT, ALO, staff, etc.

It blew my mind when my leadership removed the number of weapon systems I've qualified in from my PRF top line and threw DG in its place. I'm not a Col or Lt Col from the support side, so maybe they know more than we do on the flying side. I thought it was relevant, but I'm just a major. DG was listed on line two for awards, which is standard across all MAJCOMs I believe. And I noticed a "double dip" as well.

Edited by Shazaam

1 hour ago, pawnman said:

Funny. In cyber it was different.  Moved on to training (UCT, Academy, SOS, etc.) you're "outside the community" and it was a black mark.

That history has come back to haunt us, that now no one wants to go to our school houses and instruct.  We've got the new program coming out for "priority placement" or whatever where you can opt in/out on MyVector. Across the whole 67 CW...4 officers have opted in. 1 Lt Col, 1 Capt, 2 Lt's.

I opted out immediately.  I don't care what "notes" the CSAF sends the promotion boards, the shoes running them don't care, and I know too many O6's who just do it their way anyway.

4 hours ago, Spaceballs said:

I'm assuming by depth you mean SME.

IMHO, the only "depth" that gets recognized by the promotion board are your WIC/TPS/SAAS/CNODP/Monterey/blah blah blah graduates.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, dream big said:

How does outplacement from school work? Is it based highly on your staff vector or is it based on your performance in school? Once people go to school the whole career process thereafter seems like secret squirrel magic. 

SOF DT talked about it a little bit in a recent webinar.  Sounds like vector, needs, and timing.  Pry not too different with other DTs.

On 5/14/2019 at 2:56 AM, Spaceballs said:

I wonder how the promotion board would know that. Maybe it's even a different level somewhere higher that's disagreeing with the 100% policy and trying to sift through records for DUI's, etc? I don't know. It just doesn't make sense that 100% promotion would need to take half a year or more to get approved. On that note though, why would it take months for any board to be approved once the board adjourns?

Just saw that the AF Reserve O-4 board results are coming out on the 23rd.  Still no word on the Active Duty O-4 results.....SMH.

18 hours ago, dream big said:

How does outplacement from school work? Is it based highly on your staff vector or is it based on your performance in school? Once people go to school the whole career process thereafter seems like secret squirrel magic. 

I retired in 2015 so my info may be incorrect nowadays.  If you were a flyer, the first priority was to get you back in the jet if you were short on gate months. Usually the plan was to fleet you up to DO as soon as you made O-5.  If you were not short on gate months, a staff job at OSD, JCS, HAF, and everything else.

If you ended up going to SAASS, SAMS, or SAW after ACSC, just about everyone I know pinned on O-5 or were very close by the time they graduated and ended up going straight to a DO billet.  One cat was sent to be a group DO out of SAMS.  That did not seem like a good deal to any of us (including him) but he made the command list and got command after 2 years.  His was an unusual path.

2 hours ago, filthy_liar said:

I retired in 2015 so my info may be incorrect nowadays.  If you were a flyer, the first priority was to get you back in the jet if you were short on gate months. Usually the plan was to fleet you up to DO as soon as you made O-5.  If you were not short on gate months, a staff job at OSD, JCS, HAF, and everything else.

If you ended up going to SAASS, SAMS, or SAW after ACSC, just about everyone I know pinned on O-5 or were very close by the time they graduated and ended up going straight to a DO billet.  One cat was sent to be a group DO out of SAMS.  That did not seem like a good deal to any of us (including him) but he made the command list and got command after 2 years.  His was an unusual path.

Have you ever had anyone go outside the flying world and become a DO as an O-4? For example, I was handpicked for my DO position. 

• Haha 1
  • Downvote 2

Have you ever had anyone go outside the flying world and become a DO as an O-4? For example, I was handpicked for my DO position. 

When he says DO, I’m thinking he means TACC duty officer

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Does that mean each new category will compete at boards comprised of like-officers?

That’s the rumint.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I was wondering if rated flyers accept DO positions outside of the flying realm and whether or not it is viewed as good or bad? My GP/CC was telling me they had an A-10 guy as a CC on a non-flying training base. 

Anything is possible...never say never. I did just exactly that...but, it’s not the way the system normally works. Lots of “luck”, timing, and a $&@“ loaf of work the AF didn’t ever deserve, but the people did...and also being kinda awesome. Probably mostly awesome.

Everyone is “hand picked” for their DO position.

~Bendy

• Upvote 2

I was a DO of an OSS, then asked to be a SQ/CC of a non flying GSU. Boss asked what I wanted to do after CC stint and I told him I wanted to fly again. Leave for new a/c qual in the fall. Helps me get current again and then I’ll make a decision on retirement then airline or go DSG and airline. Kinda nice to be able to have a little control over my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

• Upvote 1

54 minutes ago, herkbum said:

I was a DO of an OSS, then asked to be a SQ/CC of a non flying GSU. Boss asked what I wanted to do after CC stint and I told him I wanted to fly again. Leave for new a/c qual in the fall. Helps me get current again and then I’ll make a decision on retirement then airline or go DSG and airline. Kinda nice to be able to have a little control over my future.

Sent from my iPhone using Baseops Network mobile app

I asked AFPC what can I do next because I don't feel challenged enough in my DO position. Everything just feels really slow. I was offered Staff, C-12s to Saudi, or Edwards. They noted I have 3 short tours already and asked if I was married. I am single going on 19 years. The functional didn't specify why, but I can't crossflow to another MWS.

I'm on a 3 year stab tour, but AFPC said I can leave after 2 years. I just need my non rated CC's blessing.  Figure I would ask her in a few months. AFPC needs a response by Jan 2020. 

Edited by Shazaam
  • Downvote 4