ROTC Scholarship information

Guest skipplet

Guest RenegadeCK

You'll be set to get a Type II, don't sweat it dude. Type I is for Type I majors, should be listed in a scholarship packet somewhere. When I applied a few years ago Type I's were for Met, Elect/Comp Eng'g and Enviornmental Eng'g (no idea why env. but w/e). All other eng'g (aero, mech, civil etc...) was Type II.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest ASUcadet

They really look at your leadership (sports, officer in clubs, student government, etc). Grades and SATs are a big chunk of the score, but they're not the only thing. They want people who are well-rounded, as opposed to someone who is just smart or just a jock.

For your interview, dress business-casual, be relaxed, and answer questions truthfully as opposed to trying to tell them what you think they want to hear. If you need to, take a second and think about what you want to say before answering instead of blurting out something stupid.

Also, if you run into trouble down the road with aero engineering, you can always switch to an easier engineering degree (like industrial or civil) or you can switch to meteorology/atmospheric science and keep your scholarship. Just make sure that you clear it with your cadre first because they may not let you switch to certain degrees (for example, construction engineering, or any engineering technology degree).

Pick a major that you think you'll enjoy. Don't pick one just to try and get a Type I scholarship. I received a Type II with Physics as my major (later changed to Aero Engineering, though). I don't know how it is at the school you're wanting to go to, but if a cadet at my school had any type of ROTC scholarship, even if it didn't cover full tuition, the school would pick up the rest of the tab.

BL: Pick a major you'll enjoy. If you pick something like EE, then end up hating it and wanting to change, you might not be able to without losing your scholarship.

Edited by Seriously

You'll be set to get a Type II, don't sweat it dude. Type I is for Type I majors, should be listed in a scholarship packet somewhere. When I applied a few years ago Type I's were for Met, Elect/Comp Eng'g and Enviornmental Eng'g (no idea why env. but w/e). All other eng'g (aero, mech, civil etc...) was Type II.

That isn't how it works. Those are not Type I majors, those are/were the most in demand majors when you applied. We had around 7 or 8 Type I's at my old Det, all but one were Aerospace Engineering. The other was CE.

You can get a Type I scholarship with any major, the chances are just higher with a really in demand degree.

I think you guys are confusing the TIERS for certain majors and the TYPES of scholarships.

Ex: Meteorology is a TIER I degree (Technical), and you can get a Type I or II scholarship (or VII in my case)

Guest ASUcadet
I think you guys are confusing the TIERS for certain majors and the TYPES of scholarships.

Ex: Meteorology is a TIER I degree (Technical), and you can get a Type I or II scholarship (or VII in my case)

There are generally 3 Tiers, which are degrees that are needed the most by the AF. When I went through the scholarship process, tier 1 (the most needed degrees) was EE and meteorology, tier 2 was the rest of the engineering degrees (AE, CE, ME, etc), tier 3 were science degrees (physics, biology, some languages, etc), and tier 4 was all other degrees (business, poli sci, etc).

The high school scholarships were divided into Type I, II, and VII. Type VII covers in-state tuition and fees or out-of-state tuition and fees up to $9k a year. Type II would cover up to $15k and Type VII is uncapped. If you get a 4-yr Type VII you can change it to a 3-yr Type II if you want to go to a more expensive school... But you have to pay for a year of school. Also, each scholarship pays for your books ($950 per year, divided into quarters, semesters, etc) and they give you a stipend that increases each AES year; $350/mo as a 300, $450/mo as a 400 or completed cadet (700), etc. When you're a GMC they don't pay you during the summer, but when you become a POC the stipend continues through the summer. Also, if you need to extend to 5 years, they will generally stop paying your stipend around March during your 5th year, so save up if you need to. Also, if you aren't on scholarship by the time you go to FT, then I don't think you'll be eligible for any AF scholarships (I could be wrong), but you will start getting the same stipend as your scholarship counterparts.

Also, each scholarship pays for your books ($950 per year, divided into quarters, semesters, etc) and they give you a stipend that increases each AES year; $350/mo as a 300, $450/mo as a 400 or completed cadet (700), etc.

I don't receive a stipend yet, but according to afrotc.com, AS300s receive $450/month, AS400s receive $500/month. If you're on scholarship, AS100 receive $300/month, AS200 receive $350/month.

http://www.afrotc.com/scholarships/hsschol/types.php

Guest Stopher
I'm just filling out the initial application now. I'm a high school senior as of this summer and have a GPA of around 4.0-4.1. I'm taking AP Physics and AP Calc this fall and am a member of NHS. Does anyone have previous experience with AFROTC scholarships? If so, what is the process and what are the chances of me getting a Type 1, Type II, etc.?

Well to help you out....I myself received a type 1 scholarship, so if you can base your info on mine..then it might help alittle...

1st of all...you need to somehow show commitment....ROTC wants to make sure that the money spent on you will be well worth it....So I joined Civil Air Patrol...and I had flying hours...showing that I wanted to be a pilot and was motivating myself towards it....so somehow show that you are intersted in ROTC.

2nd of all....is the grades and involvement that you showcase....With a 4.0 GPA you are golden....I had a 3.98..so you are good there.....ACT and SAT scores need to be relatively good....anything 27 and above should get you a type 7...get around a 29-31 ACT (which I received) and you should be great there...as far as SAT scores, I'm not sure...

Be involved in activities as well...Student Council...Sports...Class Offices...and other clubs...I had a few of those...just shows that you know how to balances grades and involvement.

3rd...is your interview....you interview with a local admissions liason officer who is relatively close to you....interview is pretty important...show up in a tie (I did). They are basic interview questions...."Why do you want to be in ROTC?" etc. etc. Just use good English and don't act dumb and you should be fine...

As far as majors and everything....I got my Type 1 in the Technical Fields...which you want..and which 99% of the time..they give them in...So AE should be great for that...

I wasn't trying to brag or anything throughout the comment...i was just giving you my stats to base your chances off....I wish I had someone to help me out and give me their stats...never happened....

So just keep up the grades and you'll do fine dude....study those ACT and SAT books...good luck :thumbsup:

Guest Codename46

So this semester (my FTP semester) has gone pretty bad in grades. I failed not only one but two classes due to a combination of workload, bad class choices, procrastination, and pretty much crappy study habits. This at the same time I was given a retroactive full ride (bummer).

So whats going to happen? Auto-disenrollment? Auto-termination or suspension of scholarship? Any chances I can salvage the scholarship?

Any help would be appreciated.

So this semester (my FTP semester) has gone pretty bad in grades. I failed not only one but two classes due to a combination of workload, bad class choices, procrastination, and pretty much crappy study habits. This at the same time I was given a retroactive full ride (bummer).

So whats going to happen? Auto-disenrollment? Auto-termination or suspension of scholarship? Any chances I can salvage the scholarship?

How is it going to affect your GPA? You have to maintain a cumulative GPA of 2.5, so if your GPA falls below this because of the two failures your chances are going to be slim. If your GPA remains above 2.5, a factor I can forsee is will this push your graduation back? Is it a core class?

If I was in your shoes, I'd re-do my form 48s to include retaking those courses. Do what you can so your graduation doesn't get pushed back. You are going to have to notify your cadre of your failures, I'd go into that meeting prepared to demonstrate how you plan on recovering from the failures.

Good luck.

This sort of happened to me. I went into my FTP semester having to repeat a core class (missed getting a C by like 2%...), but at the same time the AS class got in the way of me retaking the core class, so I had to push back my graduation a semester. The end result was that I got a conditional event and I lost my scholarship (which sucked, but wasn't the end of the world), but I stayed in the program, learned my lesson and improved from there.

With two fails they may be a little harsher though, but you never know until you talk to them.

Guest Tertle

I can't say this with any certainty but I'm thinking that your cadre will have a lot of say in what happens with you. It wont just be by the regs I don't think. You're certainly gonna get ripped a new one for totally ing up the same semester they decided to pay for your school.

According to AFROTCI 36-2011 and F in any class results in 1 conditional. More than 1 F in a given term is only 1 conditional. With your first conditional no suspension is required however if it is for something severe the the Det Commander can suspend the scholarship but that would be used if it was for something more serious than an F. You should be good. I feel you on the grades, I had the worst grades I've had in college in my FTP year. I just did a terrible job on managing my time. I barely avoided getting a conditional. Don't worry about it though, just try to prevent it from happening again cause a second conditional is an automatic scholarship suspension.

• 4 weeks later...
Guest Codename46

I was wondering what time of the year do you generally see your scholarship money in the bank. I'm 1 month from starting school again and haven't seen anything besides my monthly stipend so far, and am worried that it might be suspended/terminated or something.

Thanks

I was wondering what time of the year do you generally see your scholarship money in the bank. I'm 1 month from starting school again and haven't seen anything besides my monthly stipend so far, and am worried that it might be suspended/terminated or something.

Thanks

When I was in school they usually paid the tuition/fees part directly to the university financial aid people - I'd check your student account status.

I checked and my school hasn't received it yet. Tuition bill payment is due in less than 3 weeks. Is this something I should be worried about?

This will be the first semester using the scholarship, but my det staff told me to write AFROTC scholarship on the bill. I'm not sure how your bill appears, but ours asks what form of payment, and there's a box to check for scholarship and a blank next to it to write in what kind of scholarship.

edit:spelling mistake

Edited by USAFJosh

I checked and my school hasn't received it yet. Tuition bill payment is due in less than 3 weeks. Is this something I should be worried about?

It will usually get paid about a day or two after its due. I can't tell you how many times the bursars office threatened to disenroll students from our Det because ROTC didn't pay tuition on time. That's always a fun phone call let me tell you.

@ PaddyPilot: Riddle offers the "assurance grant" basically saying if you get an AFROTC scholarship they will find at least an additional $7K. Are you going to the DAB campus or Prescott?

I had a buddy in AE, full ride Type I, really cool guy, threw it all away this summer cuz it wasn't his thing. He just wasn't feelin the AE, and he was able to get a full ride at his home state college. Supposedly AE is some tough shit, so be ready. I personally am going the AS route, but I figure I won't get a scholarship.

• 1 month later...
Guest VETTE277

You might have saw my post over in the medicine forum. Basically, I was going through the process of applying for the High School scholarship and just found out I have mono, ouch! Worst timing of my LIFE, especially since I wanted to knock out the PFT portion this month, and get my application in early and for the first board. So, I have maybe two options. If I have my doctor write to exempt me, will I have a lesser chance at the scholarship with no PFT portion ? Or do I wait until a later board when I'm back to strength and try to get it in before the January deadline ? This is really a big blow for me as I NEED this money for college, and felt I was competitive until this obstacle. Thanks!

• 4 weeks later...

Hey guys i have a dumb question, bare with me

I'll be switching schools and joining ROTC in the fall of 09, my sophomore year

So, I'll be applying for the ICSP Phase 2 since I'm not in ROTC now

It says on the AFROTC website that "Freshmen nominees are awarded 3-year scholarships and sophomore nominees are awarded 2-year scholarships. All scholarships activate the following fall term"

Would that mean that my scholarship (should i be rewarded one, of course) would be activated when i start AFROTC in the fall of 09? or the next year?

It will usually get paid about a day or two after its due. I can't tell you how many times the bursars office threatened to disenroll students from our Det because ROTC didn't pay tuition on time. That's always a fun phone call let me tell you.

Your NCOs know all about this process. Between them and HQ, they'll get everything taken care of for you. It really isn't anything to worry about, unless they actually call you, of course (mappleby). If they do, talk to your NCOs.

• 6 months later...

Thread bump

Im currently a 100 with a three year scholarship. Ill be contracting next semester. When i was awarded my scholarship last year they said it was 15K/year towards tuition. Well this week while doing some recruiting stuff I noticed it says 18K/year. No one from the det has notified us and i was wondering if anyone knows anything about a raise. Will the people who've already been granted scholarships get a raise or does this extra 3K/year only apply to new freshman entering next year?

Thread bump

Im currently a 100 with a three year scholarship. Ill be contracting next semester. When i was awarded my scholarship last year they said it was 15K/year towards tuition. Well this week while doing some recruiting stuff I noticed it says 18K/year. No one from the det has notified us and i was wondering if anyone knows anything about a raise. Will the people who've already been granted scholarships get a raise or does this extra 3K/year only apply to new freshman entering next year?

At NATCON, they told us scholarship increases probably wouldn't be retroactive to existing activated scholarships