ROTC Scholarship information

Guest skipplet

Guest Ghostrider

If you get a 3yr ROTC scholarship at one school, can you transfer to another and still retain the scholarship? Thanks

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You can transfer the scholarship, but there are limitations. The scholarship will only pay up to the cost of the school you're at now. If you transfer to a school that's more expensive, you'll be responsible for paying the difference in cost between your current and new school. If you transfer to a school that costs the same or less, you're golden.

• 3 months later...
Guest Murdoc

I'm an incoming freshman at Embry Riddle and I'm enrolled in Aeronautical Science but I got a type 2 scholarship for Aerospace Engineering. Is there any way that I can change my scholarship from AE to AS, which is a non-technical degree?

Guest pilotcj525

Murdoc,

A little bit of info from a current Freshman at ERAU. Aero Sci. is a very challenging major to get a scholarship for. This semester however, there were an abnormally high number of cadets that got it for aero sci, but thats because they were here for the semester and had good oppportunities to prove themselves. If you already have a tech major its probably going to be really hard to switch.

If you want my opinion i think you'd be better off with a degree in engineering. Dont get me wrong.. The flight program here at Riddle is great. But there are other, cheaper ways to learn. Some schools outside this university are better. When it comes down to it, you cant get a degree from a top notch engineering program anywhere, but you can drive down the street to an FBO to get your pilots ratings and flight experience. Think about it. You can get your flight time and a degree to fall back on. What happens if you get an aero sci degree and you dont get a pilot slot? or if you go the commercial track and you have a medical problem and can't fly anymore? What will you use the aero sci. degree for then? Getting a degree in engineering and flying on the side might make you much more well rounded and competitive, in the Air Force and the civilian world.

BTW: I'm looking forward to seeing you at this detachment. Be ready to work hard and lead a hard working class. We need more dedicated cadets willing to "go the distance".

--CJ

Guest Murdoc

Pilot,

Thanks for the advice and that what I'm going to do. I've already called my admission counselor and had him put me in for re-review for AE. You're completely right about having a good degree to fall back on and I think that in the long run I'll be better off going the AE route. Unfortunately though I won't see you next year because I'm going to the campus in Prescott but I can assure you that I am going the distance and that I’m going to work hard.

• 1 month later...
Guest skipplet

Ok I just recieved two things in the mail: a "Certificate in Recognition" and a "Statement of Understanding for Scholarship Presentation" for an AFROTC scholarships. I'm going to look like an idiot asking these questions, but where do I send this statement of understanding back to and who do I put in the blank for "Name of Presenter?"

Thanks

Guest lovelacm

I'm assuming you're a HS Senior, Karl.

Type I pays for all tuition and fees at the institution of your choice.. often an in-state school with low cost to the gov't. A Type II (most of 'em are Type II) is capped at a certain number... i.e. they'll pay all your tuition and fees UP TO that amount, but not over. Make sense?

Talk with the local AFROTC Detachment (most likely where you went for the interview) to turn the sheet in. They should assign someone to present you with the scholarship (was at "awards day" at my school.. other folks I know picked theirs up at graduation).

Congrats, man. Make sure you're ready for the PFT as soon as you get to college. Pass that puppy and you'll be in the green for the semester.

Cheers!

• 1 year later...
Guest jackstone

On the ROTC website they have the median GPAs/SATs for all scholarship cadets, but I was wondering if anybody had access to just non-tech, 4 year/(3 year type 2). Are these much harder to get? Would you think statistics would have to be higher?

Thanks.

Getting non-tech scholarships out of HS right now is virtually impossible. Hate to tell you that, but that's the way it is right now. As with everything in the AF, this will change over time, then change back...the whole damn cycle continues. I got mine for Poli Sci, but that's back when anybody could get one. Now if you're not engineering, meteorology, or nursing, you're pretty much screwed. It's not impossible, but very likely you won't get one unless you have one of those majors. I wouldn't suggest doing one of those majors just to get a scholarship unless, a. you really want to study that, or b. You have absolutely no other way of affording college. Best thing to do is major in something you're interested in, that way you like it and do much better (and GPA is big for many things in ROTC and jobs later on down the road). Just my 2 cents.

I was able to get a non-tech type-2 CLS with a 3.1 out of HS and a 1270 on my SAT . Usually that would not land me jack shit, but my interview went REALLY well and I talked with our commander for 15 minutes about flying and my future goals....everything else is history. Don't rule yourself out, just show up prepared with a resume, recommendations from AD or retired service members (>O-5 if you can), and really WOW them by putting together a portfolio with copies of your accomplishments (Eagle Scout, PPL and log book, sports awards, etc). If flying is your goal and you have been pretty involved with it in the past, include pictures of you flying R/C, or flying right seat with a certified pilot (if you are not). Other than that, dress nice and show up with a positive attitude! Good luck!

Well, when did you actually get yours? And to the orig poster, what ENJJPT said is all correct. I gave you the reality, that does not mean give up. I completely agree with ENJJPT here. Have a positive attitude, put a portfolio together and do whatever else you can. Give it your best. If you don't get one, don't worry about it, if you do, that's awesome! However, just know that right now it's nearly impossible w/o a technical degree (such as the ones I listed). Don't give up, do what you can. You never know.

I received mine in 2004. My ROTC class had 58 cadets in it at the beginning of the year and only two of us received non-tech scholarships...so as Brabus said, they are pretty hard to come by. However, if you do your best and show up prepared, great things tend to happen. If you earn a non-tech scholarship, congratulations, if not, don't sweat it and be sure to remember what college is REALLY about !!!!

Guest Thriller

Jackstone,

I received my Type-2 Non-Tech directly after I got back from FT last year. About a week into my Fall Semester 2004, the Col called me into his office and told me that I was being offered the Type-2.

I was told that only 10% of the nations ROTC cadets get the Non-Tech Type-2. My advice is to be as active as you can in the corps and do a stellar job at FT.

I'm a Kinesiology Major (Pilot Degree) :D . I had a 3.3 GPA and was active in the corps. So as you can see...it is definitely achievable. I came into ROTC on the 2-year program. My first semester I went straight into FTP (Spring 04). Just keep an open mind about ROTC and you will be competitive.

Make sure you let your Det CC know that you would like to compete for the Non-Tech scholarship. "Squeaky Wheel Gets The Grease". With me being a 2 year guy, I had no idea what a Type-2 was until after I was awarded it. Fortunately, my cadre took care of me even though I wasn't a "squeaky wheel".

It is getting harder to receive a Non-Tech Type-2 for your Freshman/Sophomore year. It seems like the AF is waiting to see how you do at FT (in conjunction with your GPA) until they give those larger scholarships out to us Non-Tech Guys.

Hope that gave you some good info bro…

Peace,

THRILLER

I don't know about getting the CSP high school scholarship. I do know that it is easier to get a scholarship once you've been in ROTC for a semester or two. It's call the ICSP (In-College Scholarship Program). I've seen lots of cadets at my det get this for non-tech degrees, myself included. Just because you don't pick up a scholarship out of high school doesn't mean you're SOL.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Murdoc

I play on my school's NAIA men's soccer and i tore my right acl during practice. I was suppose to activate my scholarship this fall semester but now i cant run the PFT and the cadre said that they would have to put my scholarship on medical hold until i can in 10 months. Does anyone know of loop holes that would allow me to still activate?

Hey I went through a full ACL reconstruct due to getting mine ripped out during a rugby game. I have both good and bad news for you. As far as getting your scholarship activated without a pft, I don't think it will happen.

My adivice to you is to keep every piece of paperwork with your ACL. Thats both surgery and therapy. It took me many, many, many months to get every document that the AF needed to activate my scholarship with my wavier. So follow what the therapist has to say and make a full recovery. The good news is that you can get pilot qualified, if thats what you are planning, with a reconstructed ACL.

If you have any questions let me know.

[ 12. August 2005, 23:28: Message edited by: * ]

• 4 months later...
Guest cbire880

At least a few years ago, they used to hold it for you if you weren't medically qualified yet. I knew a few guys who wrecked their knees freshman/soph year and didn't get the boot. Of course things have changed since then. Talk to you cadre obviously.

Have you had the surgery yet? I managed to wreck mine about 2.5 years ago. Had it repaired in March 04. I'm back to running 3 miles a day and recently passed my MEPS physical for OTS without a waiver. Disclosed the surgery, got sent on an ortho consult, and was signed off at the end of the day. Good luck!

• 1 year later...

I just commissioned 3 months ago through that program, it's a great deal and good on you for applying. PFT looks good, just do your best on the AFOQT. Remember, no lost points for guessing. If you get to a section you don't have time to finish, one strategy is to look at all the answers you already marked in that section, make a guess as to which letter shows up the most, and mark all the remaining with that same letter. Worked for me...

It's VERY good that you're starting this early. I did the same, and made a point of trying to do at least one thing every day towards finishing the package, there's a LOT of stuff you have to do. Apply to your school as early as you can, and get a hold of an academic advisor as soon as possible. You need to have a complete 4 or 5 year (whatever) plan for what classes you're going to take every semester to graduate when you say you'll graduate. Its NOT set in stone once you actually get to school, but you have to have the advisor AND someone at the Det sign off on it, then mail it to you for inclusion in the package... it takes a while.

I hope you're looking at the AFOATS website every day, and making sure you're doing everything it says TO THE LETTER. One of the things they look at at the board is, "Can this person follow instructions?"

If you have any more questions, let me know!

Guest Razor A-10

I was commissioned through ASCP back in 2003. I started the process in 1998. It worked well for me. Get everything done early and stay on top of your package (sts). No one cares more than you. Know the program better than the "experts." One thing that annoyed me today was a chick at Starbucks that was an obvious employee telling the other chick how to make her a coffee, but that is the person you should be. Know the regs! It was pretty cake for me, I was a techie kinda guy, so they ate that up. Keep your leadership (Lieutenants) involved, if they aren't, get them involved. They were just there, and they know what the Air Force is looking for.

Good luck.

• 1 year later...

I'm just filling out the initial application now. I'm a high school senior as of this summer and have a GPA of around 4.0-4.1. I'm taking AP Physics and AP Calc this fall and am a member of NHS. Does anyone have previous experience with AFROTC scholarships? If so, what is the process and what are the chances of me getting a Type 1, Type II, etc.?

Type I's are very very hard to come by still. With your grades and stuff it is possible but set your eyes on a Type II and then be pleasantly surprised if you get a Type I. And yes, your interview will take place at the nearest ROTC detachment to your home address. It just saves you time and money. Be aware if you goto a state school for your interview they will probably try on you the same move they pulled on me. At the end of the interview they said, there are no guarantees of what you'll get if we send your packet to ROTC HQ but if you commit to coming to UC(the school I was interviewing at) I can award you a Type 7 right now and give you full tuition for our school. I just politely said I had not applied to UC and was not planning on attending a college in Ohio. So they sent my stuff on and I got a Type II. Its just their version of the hard sell, so don't be caught off guard if it happens to you.

There's been a fair amt of stuff on this already on here, but basically just don't be fake, speak well (enunciate, use proper grammar, and don't say "like" "um" or anything like that), and look the interviewer in the eye. Also, as for Type I's, if you're not going to be an EE or a Meteorology major, forget the Type I. You may get a 4 year Type II.

Edit: forgot to say something

Edited by GriffinR