USAF Weapons School (WIC) info

Champ Kind

They will deal sometimes; it happens.  FWIW, after talking to random bros across the world this week, there were multiple Viper assignments this VML (a few Koreas, Luke, Holloman, Nellis, TFI Guard).  That's just the few I talked to, so while VMLs can be shitty and others great, sometimes it's not as terrible as it may seem from one corner of the world.  Sometimes there are shitty leaders who don't fight for their people either, and the "little guys" gets ed because of it.  All that to say, if you're a WIC bound guy, they will find a way to keep you around in the community because you're going to be #1 or #2 on your base's VML rack and stack.  If you think you're WIC material, but the rack and stack/assignment doesn't reflect that, I suggest asking for honest feedback from your patches at a minimum.  They won't bullshit you; and at minimum it'll provide you a good vector for your future as a pilot, etc.

On April 7, 2016 at 5:10 AM, reticulous said:

Chances at WIC dead?

I'm finishing up my first tour in the F-16, but just got shunted back to 38s for my next assignment.   

I was ENJPPT, DG of the B-course, and did well here (4FLUG a year ago) but I guess SH and it sounds like this was a terrible VML. Is weapons school off the table, now?

You should start with asking your patch if he thinks you're ready for the IPUG.  Doing well in the FLUG, being a good flight lead, leader, being mature enough, etc gets you into the IPUG.  Doing well in the IPUG and being an awesome IP (which encompasses being a good leader in your squadron) is your ticket to WIC. Getting an assignment changed can be a stretch, but it's been done.  If that doesn't work out, I've seen active duty guys get out, get hired by the Guard/Reserves, go to WIC, and do well.

Edited by F16Deuce

• 2 weeks later...

So, update: 

Thanks for all your help and suggestions.

My SQ/CC, OG/CC and Wing/CC all lobbied the porch to keep me in the Viper (and keep the WIC door open), but it isn't looking good: short of a miracle, I am still headed to IFF this fall. On the up side, my RNLTD isn't until mid-October, and my losing SQ says they will try put me through the IPUG before I PCS out of here. So that is a pretty nice consolation prize, and I am very grateful for everything they have done to help.

Question now is: when am I eligible to get back in the jet, and does the clock start before or after I finish IFF training? If I get to Sheppard in October 2016 and am in training until January 2017, when do I have enough TOS to start asking to get back to the Viper?

Thanks, all.

(Sorry, this is probably better suited for the Fighter Assignments thread, but I wanted to update those here who have counseled me so far.)

Edited by reticulous
  • Upvote 1

19 hours ago, reticulous said:

Question now is: when am I eligible to get back in the jet, and does the clock start before or after I finish IFF training? If I get to Sheppard in October 2016 and am in training until January 2017, when do I have enough TOS to start asking to get back to the Viper?

Short answer - You are eligible to be back on the VML and can move after 2 years time on station. The IFF IP training doesn't affect that. 

Long answer - you are eligible to be somewhere new - "boots on the ground" - after you have 2 years time on station at your current base. So let's say you show up to SPS 15 Oct this year - you can PCS out of there 15 Oct 2018.  Your training to become an IFF IP doesn't affect that. If you were doing something like go through training at Randolph, then go to Sheppard, then it would be two years after showing up to Sheppard. But all the reg/afpc uses is time on station, not time on station as a full up contributor to the sq ops (i.e. Done with all upgrades/training).  

Basically, once you have two years time on station they can move you, and your CC can't do anything about it (this is how they non-vol people to Korea when needed). However, in the above example, they would have to wait to send you to a T-X course until Oct 2018; if you wanted to go to the T-X in August for an October report date at your new base, your commander would have to give permission for you to go to the T-X before your 2 year TOS. 

Recommendation: make sure your CC and the functional know of your desires to get back to the jet. Don't start your first meeting with your boss by saying, "Hi, I'm Reticulous, and I want to get out of here ASAP", but work hard, establish yourself as "a good one" and then gently bring up the fact that you didn't want to leave the greatest fighter ever made and want to go back at the earliest opportunity. And like I said, let the functional know, because after 2 years they can pull you back and your CC can't stop them. 

On 4/21/2016 at 9:18 PM, Motofalcon said:
Short answer - You are eligible to be back on the VML and can move after 2 years time on station. The IFF IP training doesn't affect that. 

Long answer - you are eligible to be somewhere new - "boots on the ground" - after you have 2 years time on station at your current base. So let's say you show up to SPS 15 Oct this year - you can PCS out of there 15 Oct 2018.  Your training to become an IFF IP doesn't affect that. If you were doing something like go through training at Randolph, then go to Sheppard, then it would be two years after showing up to Sheppard. But all the reg/afpc uses is time on station, not time on station as a full up contributor to the sq ops (i.e. Done with all upgrades/training).  />

I don't know that this is true. Sheppard does their training (PIT, IFF IPUG) in house vice sending dudes to Randolph. I'm not 100% certain about IFF, but when I went through PIT, my TOS did not begin until I was done with PIT. I was the first in my class to finish, but between in processing and the fact that PIT took the lowest scheduling priority, it ended up being five months.

• 3 weeks later...

Sorry for the delay, wanted to get the truth data from afpc before posting it here.

Your two year Time On Station clock starts the day you in process your new base. So you are eligible to pcs away two years after you inprocess. 

Your ADSC (3 years minus 1 day) starts at the completion of your training (PIT, IFF UI). 

So quick example - you show up to Sheppard 15 June 2016, and you finish your IFF UI upgrade on 20 Oct 2016. You can PCS again/are eligible to be non-vol'ed on 15 June 2018, but you are committed until 19 Oct 2019.  

The PCS timelines/ADSCs and ADSCs from training are concurrent but different. 

I realize this probably belongs in the adsc thread, not the WIC thread, so I'll post anything more I hear over there.