Kadena information

Guest Goodole boy

Please tell me they painted Cocks Rule! on their roof...I would expect nothing less from our Eagles bros!

Nah, they just painted a big rooster with gloves on. In google earth you can see it as well as the batman emblem. The rooster is further South along the flight-line (the rooster is light colored, so a little more difficult to see).

• 11 months later...

I'm PCSing to Kadena and I know I can't have firearms so I already sold mine but I'm doing some packing (TMO comes on Friday) and forgot I have a paintball gun. Is it ok for me to bring that to Japan? I know they have a strict 'no weapons' policy but was curious if a paintball gun would count. If so....anyone want a Tipmann A5 in good condition?

• 6 months later...

CoCo Curry

Sushi Zen (Sunabe Seawall)

Scuba Diving (Seawall and other areas)

Tan Tan Man (it's on 58 on the right side south bound)

Go Karts on the island resort (past the tanks)

Flying is great out there - don't spend more than $1-2k on a car, be sure the JCI (due every two years) is fresh can be expensive.

...just looking for general advice.

Roger that.

According to Ram you need to keep an eye out for high cheekbones and developed Adam's apples.

Roger that.

According to Ram you need to keep an eye out for high cheekbones and developed Adam's apples.

Naw. Japan is safe.

Look out in Thailand, though. On my honeymoon, wifey couldn't believe our "waitress" was a dude, so I had to straight up ask "her." Much hilarity... :beer:

CoCo Curry

Sushi Zen (Sunabe Seawall)

Scuba Diving (Seawall and other areas)

Tan Tan Man (it's on 58 on the right side south bound)

Go Karts on the island resort (past the tanks)

Flying is great out there - don't spend more than $1-2k on a car, be sure the JCI (due every two years) is fresh can be expensive.

are you married or single?

Echo everything BP says above, the resort with the go karts is Big Time.

• 4 weeks later...

Sifting through the info for Kadena and saw this bit:

"Shipment of any automobile manufactured after March 31, 1976, is prohibited. Anyone wanting to ship a vehicle manufactured before that date should contact the nearest traffic management office. "

Anyone ever done this with a classic auto? Planning on talking to TMO about this, but can imagine them only trying to discourage this, as it's likely a lot of work.

Sifting through the info for Kadena and saw this bit:

"Shipment of any automobile manufactured after March 31, 1976, is prohibited. Anyone wanting to ship a vehicle manufactured before that date should contact the nearest traffic management office. "

Anyone ever done this with a classic auto? Planning on talking to TMO about this, but can imagine them only trying to discourage this, as it's likely a lot of work.

Know someone who had one...was recommended to (and did) leave it in storage since the humidity/salt air would cause bad corrosion.

You can bring it over, but like others said, it's going to rust like hell out this way. At first I was pissed I had to store my classic back in the states, but now I'm very glad I did. In addition to the rust (car storage issues, salt on roads, right on the ocean, etc.), the driving in Japan also sucks ass: few "real" highways, i.e. 98% of the driving is no shit on 2 lane roads with speed limits varying from 25-50 kph and the japanese love driving slower than the speed limit..so yeah, driving my BB vette is not exactly enjoyable at varying rates of 15-30 mph with limited to no availability to pass. I've only been to Kadena once, but I only saw the one tollway from Naha Airport to Kadena...maybe you can get a bit faster on that, but still nothing good. Just not worth it at all, unfortunately.

80 kph (on the expressway) is the fasted speed limit on island. Most surface streets (every other road on Oki) start at 60 kph and go down from there.

• 1 month later...

Importing pets...180 day quarantine...hearing and reading conflicting information, and looking for some recent experience...

Can you "quarantine" on base if you are in base housing?

Can you "quarantine" in your home/apartment off base?

If so is this officially written anywhere?

Had people and stateside vets say its possible and often done, but reading the Japanese import websites and the army vet site, they specifically say you can't. Any information would be great...don't want the pets sitting in a small cage for several months once they get there.

yes to on base, no to off base. And your quarantines starts the day you get your pets' blood drawn for the rabies test. My cats 180 day quarantine was served entirely in CONUS before I PCS'd. The Japanese vet site is accurate.

http://www.kadena.af.mil/library/factsheets/factsheet.asp?id=16520

• 2 years later...