Pilot watches

Guest Dirt Beater

M2, base on your earlier discussion, I bought a Suunto Core Regular Black last week on Amazon ($215), and it arrived 2 days ago. Love it! Hopefully my 30 day assessment is along the lines of yours.

• 1 year later...

Looks too small & busy to be of any practical use. How are all those two-handed button presses shown in the vid going to work while you're wearing it on your wrist...?

As a toy for a nerd? Sure, go for it. As a working GPS navigator? I'll pass. As an emergency backup? I'll stick to ForeFlight on my phone.

Does anyone have one of these yet? Thoughts? I'm pretty tempted, but I'm also a nerd.

I've been considering that watch since I saw an ad for it. I also was looking at this one: http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00FK0F172/ref=wl_it_dp_o_pC_nS_ttl?_encoding=UTF8&colid=15USZ9I2PZVKC&coliid=I31XJHWH4Q2R2P. I don't see myself using some of the features of the pilot centric watch and this would be another good option. Anybody have experiences with Garmin watches?

81GsmymfLaL._SL1500_.jpg

Edited by Snuggie

• 3 weeks later...

Mrs. Snuggie apparently heard my desires (or she followed the Amazon link I sent her) and I got a Garmin Tactix watch for Christmas. I like it so far but I want to fly with it a few times before I pass my final judgement to the BO community.

• 1 month later...

Mrs. Snuggie apparently heard my desires (or she followed the Amazon link I sent her) and I got a Garmin Tactix watch for Christmas. I like it so far but I want to fly with it a few times before I pass my final judgement to the BO community.

Anyone, Snuggie in particular, have an updated review on the Garmin Tactix? I'm seriously considering it, but looking for some insight on its operational functionality... All the reviews I've seen online are from runner-types, not military folks or aviators.

One of the bros in the sq has one. Can't take it in a secure location. Other than that, pretty cool.

What is it that makes you not able to take it into a secure location, just the GPS function?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Edited by so.it.goes

Sends and receives data wirelessly. If it really is the same model. His had a button that directed you to the nearest airfield. Gave distance and bearing as I recall. Pretty sure he said he couldn't wear it to work. Too rich for my blood.

Sends and receives data wirelessly. If it really is the same model. His had a button that directed you to the nearest airfield. Gave distance and bearing as I recall. Pretty sure he said he couldn't wear it to work. Too rich for my blood.

He has the D2 then, specifically built-in with the aviation details. I guess the Tactix would fall in the same category though, since it can send/receive data wirelessly.

Not sure if it has been mentioned, but my squadron issues Casio Pathfinders, currently this model (http://www.protrek.casio.com/watches/detail/PAW2000-1), but has issued others in the past. I have flown with a few G-shocks, the cheapo ironman issued at Pcola, and my citizen, for flying the pathfinder is by far my favorite. Hacks off the atomic clock nightly, and holds time extremely well when there is no signal, has every feature you could need (and a few gimmicky ones) is low profile, looks nice, and is lightweight. The only thing I didn't like was the way the band fit me, so I got a Zulu band from Maratac which looks better, is lighter, and is much more comfortable. They make a version of this watch in all stainless with a stainless band too for those who prefer that. I really like the mode that displays Zulu and local on the same screen, very helpful when parts of the crew are doing everything in local time, but planning is in zulu.

Casio Pathfinder

http://www.casio-usa.com/products/Watches/PRO_TREK/PAW2000T-7/

It's a stainless case but the band is titanium. Got one four years ago and it only comes off my wrist when I need to go GQ. The automatic timehack is money bags for CONUS flying but you won't get a signal in AFG or other similar AORs.

It's a great watch though, super durable and I get asked about it all the time.

Anyone, Snuggie in particular, have an updated review on the Garmin Tactix? I'm seriously considering it, but looking for some insight on its operational functionality... All the reviews I've seen online are from runner-types, not military folks or aviators.

Sorry for taking so long to respond (I'm in the middle of a PCS so I got distracted). I have used it for the last month while flying and have liked it. Probably one of my favorite features is that you can customize the display. You can have the time show in a few different ways, along with the date and additional information. When I first got the watch it showed the sunrise and sunset times on the home screen. I was able to put Zulu time on it instead, which works better for me. Garmin says you can read it with NVGs on but I haven't tested that out yet. From my experience the battery life is about a month per charge, and it fully charges in less than 8 hours.

As for it's ability to wear it in a SCIF I'm not sure. The watch can receive information wirelessly but from what I understand its only GPS receivers, heart rate monitors and the like. It also comes with a USB cord to charge it that you can connect to a computer but I don't think you can pull any information from it.

Sorry for taking so long to respond (I'm in the middle of a PCS so I got distracted). I have used it for the last month while flying and have liked it. Probably one of my favorite features is that you can customize the display. You can have the time show in a few different ways, along with the date and additional information. When I first got the watch it showed the sunrise and sunset times on the home screen. I was able to put Zulu time on it instead, which works better for me. Garmin says you can read it with NVGs on but I haven't tested that out yet. From my experience the battery life is about a month per charge, and it fully charges in less than 8 hours.

As for it's ability to wear it in a SCIF I'm not sure. The watch can receive information wirelessly but from what I understand its only GPS receivers, heart rate monitors and the like. It also comes with a USB cord to charge it that you can connect to a computer but I don't think you can pull any information from it.

No problem, man, I know that feeling, but thanks for the response and info.

I pulled the trigger and bought one, even though the new Fenix2 was just announced yesterday. The Fenix will have quite a few more capabilities than the Tactix, but they're pretty much all geared at Triathletes and Open Water swimming stuff, which I have pretty much zero use for... Then there's the fact that the new Fenix doesn't come out until March at the earliest, the backlight is not safe for NVG's like the Tactix's is (plus it's red, which I hate), and it doesn't have the skydiving feature.

Last, but not least, if you give HeartRateWatchCompany a call, they'll give you a code for a 10% off Military Discount... that applies to all their products, not just the Tactix. I actually spoke to the owner, Rusty; he's a great guy, and hooked me up with Free 2-Day shipping and some other free add-ons as well, so I ended-up saving about $60 altogether.

They have several other watch brands and products, so figured I'd throw that out there if anyone else is interested. The number is (866)586-7129....

hepu5y9u.jpg

Edited by so.it.goes
  • Upvote 1

I'd definitely talk to the Security Manager first before bringing in a watch into a SCIF that has the capability to receive a GPS signal.

• 3 months later...