Pilot watches

Guest Dirt Beater

Guest Desi1125

My husband got a Breitling Chrono Avenger in titanium as his UPT graduation gift. I did a little bit of research, but I left the choice up to him and that was what he decided. He was interested in the Navitimer, but decided he didn't need those bells and whistles and wanted something that didn't look fancy. He had also looked at the Omega Speedmaster. I didn't have much to do with the selection since it was his baby, but we bought it from an authorized retailer in Newport Beach, CA who suggested not buying a Breitling through a private party. It was expensive, but it felt like an investment, plus I figured it was an appropriate gift for the accomplishment. We're young and have no kids, pets or bills so I figured, what the hell. He's been wearing it for over a year now and it's a little beat up, but it still looks nice and it works for what he wants it for. He loves the fact that it's functional, it looks good and it's got that little bit of prestige so he can pass it down, assuming he'll part with it. :)

I anyone having trouble with their older Citizen Navihawk?

2vmu5b5.jpg

About a year ago my analog hands were no loner matching with the set time.... they were all jacked up. I tried a reset several times, nothing helped. I sent it of to Hurly Roberts Service (the only guys I could find that will work on these things) and they repaired it $160, I paid $200 for the watch in 2000. Well about 3 months later the same thing happened. So, I just bought the new Skyhawk Eco Drive.

I anyone having trouble with their older Citizen Navihawk?

2vmu5b5.jpg

About a year ago my analog hands were no loner matching with the set time.... they were all jacked up. I tried a reset several times, nothing helped. I sent it of to Hurly Roberts Service (the only guys I could find that will work on these things) and they repaired it $160, I paid $200 for the watch in 2000. Well about 3 months later the same thing happened. So, I just bought the new Skyhawk Eco Drive.

Try this link Navihawk Setting Instructions

The first part talks about resetting the analog hands.

Guest Dunce

I wear a $30 walmart watch and I am more then happy with it. Some things to consider:

If you buy a walmart watch with a leather or fabric strap it can stink with the amount of sweat you produce while flying.

A few dudes in my flight use atomic watches that auto-sync to always keep a good hack.

Watches are very important especially when you need that last 45 seconds until brief to do something/bathroom whatnot.

You don't need a fancy watch at all, I have my nice watches for nice stuff and my Triatholon watch for flying.

Holy CRAP! That worked. Thanks, could have saved $160 if I had posted this earlier! Well, they did replace the crystal and battery also.

I sent it back to the factory when I had problems. They fixed it for me, for free.

The newer ones work better. Unfortunately I'm pretty sure my 18 month old deposited it in the garbage as part of a "game" I fail to find funny. And also failed as I didn't find it before garbage day. Guess I'm in the market for a new one.

I didn't think they would fix a 7 yr old watch for free. I will keep that in mind next time.

Unfortunately I'm pretty sure my 18 month old deposited it in the garbage as part of a "game" I fail to find funny.

How can you not find that funny???

I didn't think they would fix a 7 yr old watch for free. I will keep that in mind next time.

How can you not find that funny???

We'll see how funny he finds it in 16.5 yrs when I send his ass to community college.

Probably right on the 7 yr watch, mine wasn't quite that old. Admit it, you wanted the new one anyway, much cooler.

Battery in my old one died, my wife decided to do me a favor and took it to the watch shop at the f'ing bx. I about had a heart attack when she presented it to me. The good news, could finally justify the new one.

We'll see how funny he finds it in 16.5 yrs when I send his ass to community college.

Probably right on the 7 yr watch, mine wasn't quite that old. Admit it, you wanted the new one anyway, much cooler.

Battery in my old one died, my wife decided to do me a favor and took it to the watch shop at the f'ing bx. I about had a heart attack when she presented it to me. The good news, could finally justify the new one.

That is how I found Hurley Roberts Service, other guys with the same watch could not find anyone who could replace the battery. I am stating to like the new one much better.

I've had a Suunto for a couple years now...no complaints, no issues, lots of features. Current watch is a Suunto Vector, AFSOC issued.

Same one I have. I love the altimeter setting.

Guest Buzzkill

Whatever watch you intend to get, make sure it lights up. My watch looks nice and fits well, but when it comes to flying it's useless at night because I can't see it.

Anyone out there have contact info for the Breitling folks that handle the special orders for custom watches? I already own a B-1 and want to get the custom viper faceplate installed at some point, seems like it should not be too hard. Problem is, the only time I've seen said faceplate being offered is as part of a custom buy of like 50 new watches.

:beer:

Anybody have any details on getting a fighter pilot discounted watch from Omega? What % off will you get, how many do you have to buy, what models do they sell, etc?

I have a little SA on this topic since I was part of a recently placed Omega order. The only watch available through the program is the Speedmaster X-33, which is no longer available for public purchase. (Search on eBay to find what one looks like.) The price for the watch is $650 for one with a kevlar band and $850 for one with a titanium bracelet. Each watch in the order will have a logo of your choice engraved on the back. If you choose a logo that they have already done, the min order quantity is 10. If it is a new logo, the min order quantity is 15. You can have additional text engraved on the back if you wish, such as your name and callsign, etc.

The program requires you to sign an agreement stating that you are in fact a military aviator and that you won't resell the watch within five years. Also, you're limited to purchasing one watch per person.

Big picture: It is an outstanding watch at a great price. Hacker has had his longer than I have had mine, so he can probably tell you more about it's durability. The only drawback to the program is the time it takes from placing the order to receiving the watch-- it took our order about 9 months from start to finish!

Send me a PM with your .mil address if you would like the Omega Rep's contact information. There is only one person in the U.S. who works these deals, so I'm trying to keep a close hold on their information (read: not posting the info publicly) so that the program isn't abused for future orders.

-9-

Edited for clarity

Edited by Nineline

Big picture: It is an outstanding watch at a great price. Hacker has had his longer than I have had mine, so he can probably tell you more about it's durability.

I've flown with it for going on nine years...beat the living crap out of it for a couple years flying defensive BFM in the T-38 twice a day...and it is still as sweet as the day I got it. VERY durable.

Early X-33s that were sold to military guys suffered some problems and they got a bit of a bad name. Omega redesigned many of the components in that "Generation 1" watch, and the ones you order today are the "Generation 2" follow on, so they should have none of the issues (mostly pushers popping out). My watch had none of the reported mechanical problems and is still going strong.

DSC_5886.jpg

YAP_X33.jpg

Toro's edited pic:

35018hi.jpg

Edited by Hacker

Guest tapeworm

The Casio World Time WV-58A Waveceptor - hacks every night automatically, can display local and zulu simultaneously, NVG friendly, $28 at Walmart. Only problem is that it is ugly...that's why I have an Airwolf too.

Guest Cap-10

My custom Breitling B-1 lasted about 3.5 yrs before needing a battery change, so while it's in the shop, Im going thru some serious watch withdrawal.

I was surfing the web, doing some research on a possible next buy and it looks like Citizen finally caught the clue and included a back light in their newest version, the Skyhawk A-T with Eco-Drive. Titanium bracelet too.

Citizen Skyhawk A-T

DSC01580.JPG

What a decision I have: Omega X-33 or Skyhawk A-T.

Cap-10 :flag_waving:

For those of you with a Breitling, does your watch lose time when you don't wear it for a few days? If I take my watch off, it won't last 24 hours before it loses time. I have a Navitimer and I guess you have to wear it for it to stay on track. Maybe its Navitimer specific... I've heard about a box that rotates the watch, but comes with a price.

My custom Breitling B-1 lasted about 3.5 yrs before needing a battery change, so while it's in the shop, Im going thru some serious watch withdrawal.

I was surfing the web, doing some research on a possible next buy and it looks like Citizen finally caught the clue and included a back light in their newest version, the Skyhawk A-T with Eco-Drive. Titanium bracelet too.

Citizen Skyhawk A-T

DSC01580.JPG

What a decision I have: Omega X-33 or Skyhawk A-T.

I have that watch...the automatic timehack, zulu time on the face, and multi-time zone functions are really nice to have. It also has a bunch of other crap that i have no idea how to use. :bash:

Guest Cap-10
Yes. They call it a self-winding chronometer, or chronograph, or whatever, but it is uses the motion from you wearing it to wind it... otherwise it would be violating several laws of thermodynamics. You either need to A) wear it B) remember to wind it by hand when you don't or C) get the box that moves it around. My B-2 lasts about, oh, 36 hours without being worn.

Gray:

Your Breitling Navitimer is a self winding mechanical watch. It has an advertised power reserve of 42 hours.

BuddaSixFour,

Big difference between chronograph and chronometer.

Chronograph is a fancy word for a stopwatch.

Chronometer means that the watch has met the standards of the Contrôle Officiel Suisse des Chronomètres (COSC), the Official Swiss Chronometer Testing Institute. A watch must meet their standards to be called a Chronometer.

COSC Standards:

Mechanical / Quartz

* Average daily rate: -4/+6 [8] / * Average daily rate at 23 °C: ± 0.07

* Mean variation in rates: 2 [9] / * Rate at 8 °C: ± 0.2

* Greatest variation in rates: 5 [10] / * Rate at 38 °C: ± 0.2

* Difference between rates in H & V positions: -6/+8 [11] / * Rate stability: 0.05

* Largest variation in rates: 10 [12] / * Dynamic rate: ± 0.05

* Thermal variation: ± 0.6 [13] / * Temporary effect of mechanical shocks: ± 0.05

* Rate resumption: ± 5 [14] / * * Rate resumption: ± 0.05

* n/a * Residual effect of mechanical shocks: ± 0.05;

200 shocks equivalent to 100 G (981 m/s²)

8. this is the average rate over the first ten testing days.

9. this figure shows if a watch tends to run fast or slow; a good quality watch will be consistent, whether it is fast, slow or correct.

10. This is the largest difference between any two day's readings in a single position.

11. calculated by subtracting the average of the rates in the vertical (V) position (first and second days) from the average of the rates in the horizontal(H) position (ninth and tenth days).

12. the largest difference between the mean daily rate (see test number 1) and any individual rate during the first 10 days of positional testing.

13. the temperature error of the movement, expressed in seconds/degree.

14. figure obtained by subtracting the average mean daily rate of the first two days of testing from the mean daily rate of the last test day.

As for watch winding containers, I've got one from Steinhausen. They come in single, dual, and quad winders, as well as non-moving storage cases.

Guest Cap-10
The Breitling B-1s look great....but I can't find them anywhere. One site said they quit making them, and that the Airwolf is the replacement to it. Is the B-1 still available in Europe?

I know the B-1 is out of production, and the Airwolf has taken it's place (the official Breitling website only shows the Airwolf).

Not sure of the availability in Europe.

CAP-10....don't waste your time with the Citizen.

Hacker,

Is that from personal experience with a Citizen watch, or just becuase you've had such good luck with your Omega X-33?