Pilot watches

Guest Dirt Beater

5 hours ago, Warrior said:

The weapons school is getting ready to place an order for WIC custom Breitlings. Tart Ehlers is the POC in the 8 WPS

So, he will get to work with Susan at Breitling USA.  Ping him in 6 months and see how he is enjoying the experience.  

31 minutes ago, HuggyU2 said:

So, he will get to work with Susan at Breitling USA.  Ping him in 6 months and see how he is enjoying the experience.  

I think they’re running out of choices, gotta get that watch into a vault.

• Like 1

Any advice where to sell a used Breitling?? All the online sites charge a huge premium or undercut the heck out of the owner and eBay is just a spam machine.

Trying to sell my damn near mint Aerospace avantage that I thought would sell quickly.

Edited by duece123

15 hours ago, duece123 said:

Any advice where to sell a used Breitling?? All the online sites charge a huge premium or undercut the heck out of the owner and eBay is just a spam machine.

Trying to sell my damn near mint Aerospace avantage that I thought would sell quickly.

The problem with trying to sell that watch on an AF forum is that it looks like it has Navy wings on the face. 

I would try the navy site, they have a tread just for watches as well. 

• 2 years later...

Thread Revival:

I've given up on my Apple Watch after two years.  I mostly liked it (with the exception of having to charge it EVERY night) but in typical Apple fashion it's gone on the fritz & is constantly resetting itself and/or freezing despite being fully charged and current on all updates.  Time to escape the shackles of the Cupertino overlords.  So I'm looking for a decent automatic, swiss made piece with a GMT or second time zone complication.  Prices seem to have gone up significantly recently (like everything else) so value is a major consideration.  Looking to keep it under a ~$2K cap.  Really like some of Hamilton's offerings but a lot of the models I like seem to be quartz only.  Any other watch snobs have some recommendations?

It’s never been a problem in the past…but does anybody have recommendations for a watch (not a g shock) that’s permitted in a SAPF/SCIF? I thought a Garmin Instinct would be approved, but apparently not. 

25 minutes ago, Standby said:

It’s never been a problem in the past…but does anybody have recommendations for a watch (not a g shock) that’s permitted in a SAPF/SCIF? I thought a Garmin Instinct would be approved, but apparently not. 

Garmin Fenix 5/6/whatever model they’re on now. Great watch all around. Just don’t get the model with wifi.

40 minutes ago, brabus said:

Garmin Fenix 5/6/whatever model they’re on now. Great watch all around. Just don’t get the model with wifi.

Not all vaults, it depends where you’re at. We’ve been fighting this battle for 3 years in my corner of the AF.

1 hour ago, Boomer6 said:

Not all vaults, it depends where you’re at. We’ve been fighting this battle for 3 years in my corner of the AF.

That’s my problem. Previous units…no problemo. Now it’s an issue. Apparently the wearables memo from years back is vague enough to not be standardized.

6 hours ago, Prozac said:

Thread Revival:

I've given up on my Apple Watch after two years.  I mostly liked it (with the exception of having to charge it EVERY night) but in typical Apple fashion it's gone on the fritz & is constantly resetting itself and/or freezing despite being fully charged and current on all updates.  Time to escape the shackles of the Cupertino overlords.  So I'm looking for a decent automatic, swiss made piece with a GMT or second time zone complication.  Prices seem to have gone up significantly recently (like everything else) so value is a major consideration.  Looking to keep it under a ~$2K cap.  Really like some of Hamilton's offerings but a lot of the models I like seem to be quartz only.  Any other watch snobs have some recommendations?

I recommend the Tudor Black Bay GMT. It's about double what you want to spend, but it's what Rolex was before Rolex became impossible to obtain. It's an amazing watch from their sister brand, and IMO, it's worth the premium you'd pay.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, Prozac said:

So I'm looking for a decent automatic, swiss made piece with a GMT or second time zone complication...Looking to keep it under a ~$2K cap...Any other watch snobs have some recommendations?

Tudor black bay GMT is an excellent recommendation if your budget allows. 

Here are some more,

This is fantastic option, minute markers with a countdown bezel and GMT make this the ultimate tool watch. 

https://www.ashford.com/hamilton-h76755135.html

Here is a similar watch with the added comfort benefit of titanium and 4 o'clock crown.

https://www.muehle-glashuette.de/en/watch/seebataillon_gmt/

More affordable titanium piece. 

https://www.steinhartwatches.de/en/flieger-watch/nav-b-uhr-44-dual-time-titanium.html

Unconventional design from Stowa with GMT. Stowa has some excellent, and more affordable non-GMT models.

https://www.stowa.de/en/Flieger+Verus+Klassik+Chrono-GMT.htm

A straightforward Sinn model.

https://www.sinn.de/en/Modell/856_UTC.htm

Edited by AC&W
Edit
  • Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Boomer6 said:

it does come down to the PSO for that vault. But I assure you, fenixs are allowed in very high level vaults (albeit with PSOs who aren’t douches).

@Standby Did you switch MAJCOMs? I’ve hit ACC, NGB, PACAF, AFSOC, other service/org, and only come across one time I had to leave my fenix outside…and it was due to that specific PSO being a typical tight ass GS. There are industry places that dont allow smart watches (again, PSO driven), but usually not an issue since civ attire is standard/people generally wear more dressed up watches in business attire. 

Edited by brabus
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, brabus said:

it does come down to the PSO for that vault. But I assure you, fenixs are allowed in very high level vaults (albeit with PSOs who aren’t douches).

@Standby Did you switch MAJCOMs? I’ve hit ACC, NGB, PACAF, AFSOC, other service/org, and only come across one time I had to leave my fenix outside…and it was due to that specific PSO being a typical tight ass GS. There are industry places that dont allow smart watches (again, PSO driven), but usually not an issue since civ attire is standard/people generally wear more dressed up watches in business attire. 

This is a different MAJCOM. I’ve got the Apple Watch, Fenix, titanium Pathfinder and a bunch of other non-smart watches. I’ve come to like the HR and SPO2 functions. I thought the Garmin Instinct was going to be OK, particularly because it has a mode to disable all connectivity functionality. 

Interesting...

Garmin’s New Aviator Watch Partly Addresses a Risk the War in Ukraine Is Highlighting – Microtargeting

image.png.3881c0ef0f659ac587b4f78c2c70c9e9.png

Late last month, electronics firm Garmin began touting its newest smartwatch for aviators, the D2 Mach 1. Aside from a host of aviation-specific features, the D1 has a “stealth mode” to halt GPS tracking and a “kill mode” to wipe its memory. Russia’s microtargeting of Ukrainian forces members via personal devices suggests Garmin’s on to something. But is it enough?

With its large 47 mm dial and high-resolution AMOLED touchscreen display, the D2 Mach 1 is impressively conspicuous, the kind of timepiece that has attracted aviators since World War I. Its direct-to navigation, pulse oximeter, GPS moving maps and NEXRAD weather radar are enticing capabilities in such a small device, multiplied greatly when the watch is Bluetooth-connected to a smartphone with Garmin’s Pilot, In-Reach or Connect apps...