Pilot watches

Guest Dirt Beater

Guest deweygcc

I heard that Rated aviators get a discounted watch. What kind is it? Do all rated officers get them or just fighter pilots? Does anyone know or have any details?

I didn't get one at Vance in '03 either. I did get the G-Shock at Nav school. It did become FOD when the pin that holds the strap on (sts) fell off. I still have the POS. IndiGlo, I believe. Bergman, remember taking the watch apart to make the buttons stick out further so you could actually use it during the nav school Tweet Low Levels? Ah, the memories...

Guest deweygcc

Yeah hacker nailed it. And who is allowed the Omega etc and are they worth it?

I don't know if non-fighter guys can get the deal -- there was an actice duty pilot at base X who was the contact with Omega and arranged the orders. The orders were done in bulk, and you had to sign a contract that A) you were an active military fighter aviator and B) you would not sell the watch in less than 5 years after your purchase.

I have the Omega X-33 and I love it. I have done what most guys haven't -- worn it! I wear it in the cockpit, and it gets knocked around quite a bit. That titanium case holds up like a champ! There are some scratches on the bezel ring after 3 years of active flying with it, but there are zero scratches on the crystal.

It is a very well-made watch, and Omega is committed to fixing any defects that show themselves under tough cockpit wear. I have no complaints about it, other than it is tough to find an authorized dealer who can replace the battery then pressure-check it so the waterproof warranty is still valid....

Guest Wxpunk

I tend to collect watches, not intentionally, but nonetheless. So when my dad asked my wife what he could get me for graduation, the Citizen Skyhawk was a good suggestion. It's a really nice looking watch that can easily go with either shorts or a suit. The price isn't so bad ($289) considering its all titanium, has a crapload of pre-programmed ICAO's, customizable ICAO's, 3 alarms, chronograph, timer, an E6B, and a calendar. It probably does more than this but I'm not finished reading the book that comes with it! :D Besides, this is the Blue Angels edition which probably makes it a collectors piece.

I, for one, can't stand not wearing a watch outside of home. Ironically, I can't stand wearing one at home.

-------------

Wxpunk

Originally posted by HercDriver24:

If I want a whiz wheel, I'm sure as hell not going to buy a $250 watch to get it. I fly with a $20 Casio that holds up just fine.

Yeah, one thing I didn't mention about the X-33 I own is that all of those great gee-whiz features that they put on there for NASA...well, I never use 'em.

I own the watch because *I* think it's cool and I like to wear it. The only features I really use are the time, zulu time, chrono and countdown chrono. I don't even use *those* features while I'm flying anyway -- the ship's GPS clock and "hack" chrono work just fine. I once used my X-33 alarm while I was flying because it has some un-Godly decibel level what I could hear with my helmet on. Other than that...

So, I would not purchase a "pilot watch" under the false pretense that you're going to use any of those features while actually flying. I don't think I've ever even met someone who has used an E6B or whatever on a watch while flying.

Guest AirGuardian

Destroyed several G-shocks in the past so I Ebay'd the AF model,

Have the Breitling B-1 which I'm sure was almost as good a price if not better than any F-Driver could have bought single handedly... VAT form plus dealer discount 16% in Germany! Beat pathetic AFES prices by nearly $600 bones. Tough watch, useable E6B during times of complete boredom since it has an extra internal swivel which is better than most, super alarm which can be heard in the seat(even in a 141)with headsets on, NVG capable(but what's the use with the Gizmos on the C-17, but still amusing...), and plenty of other stuff, but now my left bicep is twice as big as the other one... I slap on the Raymond Weil for fancier times...

Nice watch, fine writing instrument, superior Congnac, golf sticks, and a great cigar while your on a trip with your buds. Just doesn't really get any better. Speaking clean of course!

Guest tentoad

Watches

Lets face it, you are going to buy what you want. A fancy watch will not help your flying- simple as that. I had a fancy watch that only had one time zone. I got so confused whenever I landed on a long trip resetting it I gave up on it. During Desert Storm I bought a Casio World Timer for $30 in a Souk in sandland. Thing had almost every city on earth in it. I loved that watch!!! 12 years later it finally clouded up and died a noble death at Elmendorf while TDY. I shopped around and came to the conclusion that the Navitimer worked best for long haul flying. At least for me. If you plan to fly heavies consider these factors in your watch shopping.

1. Time Zones: Numerous preset time zones rule, manually doing math will eventually fail you. Get a watch that does Local, Zulu and home.

If you fly fighters you can skip this because you wont leave the MOA.

2. Alarm: Something with the same time zone selection options. Dont miss that bus!!!

3. Countdown timer: It takes 10 minutes at 350 degrees to bake cookies below 30,000 and 12 minutes above. Countdown timer :)

4. Whiz wheel: Next to useless. You may use it to figure a leg time in base ops. I suppose you could use it to update a rendezous time for Air Refueling- useless for C-17's as they refuel at initial level off. :)

5. Light: This is where the Navitimer falls short. Waking up in the bunk at 30 west (halfway across the Atlantic) and not being able to check how long you have racked is frustrating.

6. Weight: If your watch affects the aircraft CG, avoid it. You will eventually lose it or give up on it.

7. Looks: If it looks good to you, it will look good to someone else. That could mean a simple theft (some folks dont read up on core values) or a violent mugging on a third world street. The latter has happened to a couple of my buds and they didnt really enjoy the experience- Less when the USAF wanted to punish them for getting mugged and beaten.

8. Gifts. If you get a fancy engraved watch from your wife or girlfriend you most likely are going to get divorced sometime. Wait for the newly divorced guy who is broke and bitter to sell you his fancy engraved watch cheap- Good excuse to buy a Dremel tool- :)

Good luck on the watch buying

Tentoad

• 5 months later...
Guest Vistar1

I want to get my husband a new watch for Christmas. Since I am in Del Rio, there's not a whole lot of places to go to shop for nice aviators watches. Does anyone have any ideas for reputable companies off the internet? I am looking for a metal-banded watch with chronograph...all the bells and whistles. I'd love to get him a Breitling, but for that kind of money...we'll have to wait until he makes Major! Any input would help!

Thanks!

V.

I love my watch and here it is...

JR3090-58L.jpg

I had my dad by it for me as a college graduation gift, but I did the online research for him. I found it at Princeton Watches for $289. Keep in mind that this is the titanium Blue Angels edition that normally goes for $500.

Good Luck!

---------------

Wxpunk

I've got the same watch (Citizen Skyhawk Titanium), only without the Blue Angels trim. Again, it retailed for about $500, but I received it as a gift last year and I have seen it on Ebay (brand new in box) for as low as a little over $2OO. Functional, attractive watch. I love mine! Good luck!

Guest deweygcc

chase-duer(sp) has some cool watches, they can be found for 200 or less on ebay.

Theres stuff like Weapons school, Bomber Commander, Fighter commander, etc

Guest GetUglyA-10

Chase-bruer has some good avaition watches for good prices 300-600$. Go to chase-durer.com and their are some good watches for you to pick from.

Guest Piperpilot2004

or... most watches can be used as an aviation watch..as long as it has a couple of timers. I found that most of the very expensive aviaton watches are good, but you can get pretty much the same stuff out of any watch for flying, and save a lot of money..(possibly getting him something else with with the money you saved) If I were you, I would buy a regular watch with a calculator built in it..you can get those for $50! LOL

Guest JArcher00

I am looking into the SkyHawk watch also. I see that is does not have a traditional battery but works off sun light or artificial light, I assume from a light bulb. Has anyone who has a skyhawk had any problems with extended wear under the flight suit sleeve and then look at the time and it be dead? Thanks.

Guest Walter_Sobchak
Originally posted by ASUPilot:

If you have the resources to invest, go Breitling...the clear aviation choice. If not, drop a hundred bucks for a dual time G-Shock.

Agreed - I have a Breitling B-1 which I fly with daily and love it. However, I say that knowing that it dosen't do anything that a $35 Casio dosen't do aside from fitting into the "I'm a pilot" gear (sunglasses, huge watch, and a cool jacket). As far as gift ideas, I'd also suggest the Seiko Flightmaster. It's a similar price to the Citizen and has a slightly more traditional look. I picked one up for my dad this Christmas.

456-BR03.jpg

f2.jpg

RedDog-

When the watch is out of the light, the digital parts and the second hand all stop working to conserve energy. As soon as you bring it into the light again, it takes about 1/2 a second for everything to start working again. The hour and minute hands never stop working though, and they'll be good for something like a year of darkness. The one NOT cool thing about it is the fact that it doesn't have a light, or even back-lit. The hands glow in the dark, but that's about it. Hope that helps!