Pilot watches

Guest Dirt Beater

Guest JArcher00

Walter, I like the B-1. Just to make sure, it has a back light? Also, the UTC time is that just in the digital format or what? Thanks

Guest Walter_Sobchak

The B-1 has a backlight. There is one digital timezone which is also linked to the analog hands. There's also two other times just on the digital displays, one of which is labeled UTC (obviously you can set it to any time you want, but I keep mine on GMT).

Guest AirGuardian

As Walter_Sochak has indicated,

Breitling makes a great precision instrument and if you could save up for it, it would be well worth your time. My B-1 has been worth every dollar spent, especially since it was much cheaper with the VAT form and a local discount from the dealer store in Germany.

Note: When you do press the back light on, the second hand stops for 6 seconds and then realigns itself with the digital second indicator. Other features include a rotating bezel with an inner bezel that rotates as well to ease the use of the E6B calculations - I admit I don't use this feature much, but the watch does well under NVG's. Unique engine fan design on the back unlike any other watch seen. Not a dive watch by any manner, but I have dragged this timepiece all over the world for years and it has slipped no more than 15 seconds yearly...

If the Breitling is not worth the wait, I concur the Navihawk series is very good timepiece!

Walter or anybody else that knows.....How can you ensure a Breitling's authenticity?? Are there any specific markings or anything to look for. I know an individual locally selling a B-1, but I want to make sure I'm not getting ripped off. Thanks.

Guest Walter_Sobchak

Any new Breitling comes with a certificate of authenticity (written in French, but it's easy to identify) which also certifies it as a chronometer. A secondhand watch may or may not have this certificate. Also, you should be able to check the case back for the model number which will be a letter followed by five numbers. The letter indicates the case material, the first two numbers are the caliber (movement) number. The third number will be a 3 if the movement is COSC-certified and 0 if it isn't. The last two numbers are model specific. Most people other than jewlers won't be able to descipher all this, but if it dosen't look something like this (i.e., A68362 for my B-1) then it probably isn't authentic. Lastly, most fakes don't look exactly like the real thing so if you have photos or access to the watch and the time to do it, check the watch face against www.breitling.com to make sure it looks the same. In the case of the B-1 you mentioned check the year the watch was bought against the text printed above the lower LCD window. B-1s made prior to the past year and a half or so will say "B-1" on the bottom text line. Late 2003 and 2004-5 models have the upgrated ETA "Superquartz" movement and read "Chronometre B-1". Lastly, if you can get any photos of the watch posted, ask the forums at forums.timezone.com - they should be able to check things out. Hope that helps.

Guest RoninCo

I second everything Walter says. My breitling is worth every penny to me. I also agree that it does nothing that the $20 timex you may have been issued in UPT doesnt do. Its all about style. Being a single 1Lt (almost Capt) I guess I have to spend my cash on something...

That being said. AAFES sells the B-1 at a GREAT discount price. I got mine a little less than a year ago. If you get a STAR card (BX credit card) you get 10% off you first purchase. Not too shabby when you are spend $2600 dollars. But, when all was said and done, I took my B-1 to a jewler for appraising (to get insurance on it). About 8 months ago, Breitling had a price increase across the board. Suffice it to say, to buy it from a jewler would of cost me almost $1,000 more! It was appraised at $3,300. At the time I only paid $2,400 after the discout, etc. ("ONLY" is a relative term here...).

I hope this helps!!

-RoninCo

Guest RoninCo

I also forgot to add that it is rather large. It looks kiinda like a pizza pan on your wrist. However, once you wear it for a week or so, you can't really tell.

The B-1's backlight is advertised as "NVG Friendly..." The jet I fly doesnt use NVGs, but if you do, I imagine this would be a really nice feature.

-RoninCo

Guest AirGuardian

The NVG feature was a nice touch, but I couldn't sell that to my wife... She saw right thru my logic since our digital clocks on board were NVG compatible as well - go figure, smart girl.

Anyway, if any of you get a chance to visit Ramstein and would like a B-1. Go downtown to Lenhart's Jeweler in Lanstuhl with a VAT form for the tax discount and those guys will cut you a deal on top of that. RoninCo mentioned a price increase which may raise the cost, but I basically liberated a B-1 timepiece for $1450 new. Euro was a bit weaker a few years ago, but it's still worth a venture to save a thousand or so! Alot of money, but I've never regretted it one bit - bang it up all the time.

[ 16. December 2004, 17:57: Message edited by: AirGuardian ]

• 3 months later...
Guest Dirt Beater

What kinds of things do you real pilot-types look for in a watch as far as functionality? Stop-watch feature? Backlight/indiglo, etc?

I read about all those Breitlings and Citizens, and please correct me if I'm wrong, but those seem like little more than something fancy on your wrist.

digital is #1 for me

after that, I look at durability and ease of use.

It seems like half the guys I work with have these watches:

http://www.casio.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=...t=MTG930DA%2D8V

They're pretty much the sh!t, and I have one myself.

Hacks with the Atomic Clock in Colorado every night, stopwatch, time memo feature (one button record of take off time or whatever), and an auto-backlight feature that rules.

Just make sure you turn off the auto backlight before gettin busy with the girl...the indiglo can be blinding when it's really dark.

Guest kirkhac

I just use the standard issue G-shock. Alot of dudes don't like it because it's so bulky but it does the job just fine and the price was right.

My wife bought me the Navihawk as a graduation present when I finished the WIC. It looks great, works great and it has every feature you could ever want when you are flying except one, a back light. As a result, I used a G-shock during OEF.

Guest sickels101

I have a citizen skyhawk. Its pretty cool has a whizwheel that I never use but it looks cool. Has all of the time zones programmed in it too.

Guest AirGuardian

Brietling, a bit pricey yes, but then again I may always fly aircraft built by the lowest bidder, but my B-1 Breit hasn't let me down in versatility with aviation or normal day to day use...

Citizen is the way to go if you're looking for an exceptional watch with numerous features galore.

The Breitling only does three time zones for me, never loses more than 15 seconds a year when set (very accurate), whizwheel with inner rotating bezel(much easier to decipher than all others which are microscope small, if you even use it), dual time keeping=hour/minute hand and digital window, chronograph, countdown, etc. But the three primary add-ons which are exceptional in my case. 1. NVG compatible 2. As well as it's the only watch I've seen, heard, had that I can hear the alarm go off when flying...3. and it's great in the work place with a backlight or formal setting. Cool engine fan blades on the back, but it's really the loud speaker under it that pays off... I collect watches anyway, and do not recommend this to any who don't require anything fancy and don't need a well crafted timepiece because you'll only mourn your $$$ when you try to pay off one of the premiere aviation time piece makers.

Breitling - Gizmos, accuracy, status...

Rolex - status and tells time...

Citizen - does it all and many times better than most...

Just comes down to who you are and what items you want to spend your hard earned $$$ ha ha on...

Swicher Sweets or Dunhill/Cohiba - it's really based on what you like AND want. I can't even spell Swicher Swe..ts.

Guest Absolutlyfly

I have a Citizen Skyhawk on the way. You gotta have that bling (to match the ego) if you are going to ride upfront.

Guest forcemac

For flying, all u need is a simple digital watch...anything with hands sucks...as you do a lot of "hacks" for example:

engine start limits (4 hacks in 5 minutes)

instrument approaches (more so in UPT, but once in awhile in a MWS)

etc, etc,

Anyone who thinks you need a $$$ watch for flying isn't really speaking from a pilots perspective, they just want to make some money.

Now on the other hand, when you aren't flying, its a pilots responsibilty to look as cool as you can, so get that big f'ing watch to go with your leather jacket and scarf....thats about the only thing you need a fancy watch for...

Guest Absolutlyfly

Oh, yeah I totally agree with forcemac. I use a $40 digital that went to FT with me for when I actually fly, it tells me everything that I need.

Guest TheBurt

I was issued the g-shock at Mather and wore it for about 6 years, it went through hell, had a crash in my highway patrol car during a high speed chase and I went to arrest the driver, long story short, he got several imprints of "G-shock" and "mag-lite" across his head, I broke the armband but got it fixed and wore it to UPT.

That being said, the ultimate watch is just your basic Rolex GMT, get the GMT II because you can change time zones without loosing your hack. It looks cool, chicks dig it, looks good in your airline interview, and it is a very basic durable watch that you can give to your son one day. I got mine at the BX at Ramstein in 98, I don't know if they still sell them or not, but they were about $1000 less than in the states.

I still have the g-shock and wear it when I run, If you can't afford the Rolex now, wear the G-shock and save your money till' you can get the Rolex, don't be tempted to skimp and get the Breitling or some other watch, anyway you won't be able to use that little whiz wheel thingy with the cockpit lighting set to NVS.

Bottom line. Since everyone and his brother is wearing a bag and a leather jacket, the cool watch is the tradition that still means anything. Sorry about the Breitling JonLock, I f****ing told you to get the Rolex!!!!

I'm in 100% with Toro.

I've been using the same $35 Casio since UPT. Seriously, if you are actually having to do whiz-wheel crap on your watch, you need to get back into the books on your aircraft's navigation system. I mean as long as I have a watch with Indiglo (NVG compatible!) and a 24hr display I'm fine. Just set the damn thing to UTC and fuggedaboutit.

I have no problem with guys using cool watches. To each his own. But if you consider things like "Will this watch automatically calculate my L over D max" and "What watch will prove to people that I am a pilot" while shopping for watches, then you have too much time on your hands.

$239 watch or $35 watch, I'd rather have the extra gas.

HD

[ 28. March 2005, 11:47: Message edited by: HercDriver24 ]

All I ever use is the "box" in the airplane. I have a Nike watch that has all of the wiz bang Altimeter, compass, ect. It was about $100, about half of the size of the Sunto, and has been with me for almost 5 years. I have to agree if your going for style, go with the Rolex. Now days you can find the cheapo fake Rolex watches that even have the sweeping second hand not the tell-tale tick-tick-tick of the fake ones. I bought one for $25 last time we were down south. I know it's not real, but the flat screen TV I bought in it's place is.

Guest Tomcatbubba

I bought a Rolex Submariner about a year ago. Every time hack in the flight brief I was finding myself adjusting my watch. Worse yet, I was once ground FAC'ing and I actually lost 10 seconds from morning to night. Not good if you don't have GPS time to back yourself up.

I got tired of this so went back to my G Shock which holds much better time than a chronograph, and has the Indiglo night light which is great for night ops, especially under NVG's. I am also an LSO on a carrier and it works great for timing multiple aircraft. Plus, you don't have to worry about scratching it up on preflight. Bottom line, the digital watches are great for flying and usually cost less than $100.

I've been wearing my G-shock since UPT. It's pretty sweet: it gains a second a day, so I can always tell how many days it's been since I last flew. It's going to be way off by the time I'm done with this ALO gig.

• 1 year later...
Guest fpdesignco

Is there a standard issue for the watch's a/d pilots use? If so what is it? or the prefrence?