Pilot watches

Guest Dirt Beater

Is it very different from the current Casio World Time?

The current one you linked shows I'm in Paris, but I don't know what the day or date is there....unless I do a lot of scrolling perhaps..

I have a Casio G Shock 3395 that I really like. On the main "page," you can toggle quickly between the local date, GMT date (or any second location), and a Julian calendar. I use the Julian calendar to count down days remaining on my ADSC.

http://compare.ebay....mTypes&var=sbar

This one has potential (although I have no need for the Julian feature, as I'm a Reservist). Does the World time page show city code, local time, day and date?

I've had this watch for about 7 years now. Has all the specs you're looking for. It's looking a little worn but I keep going back to it because I haven't found a better set up. For an everyday watch and flying watch, the solar charging and Atomic Timekeeping function is a must for me.

http://www.casio.com...ck/MTG900DA-8V/

I bought this one a while back and found out how much I hate combination analog-digital watches. The digital displays are partially covered by the hands 40 minutes out of every hour.

http://www.casio.com...ck/gw2500bd-1a/

The first watch you recommended --you said it had all the features I wanted, but checking the manual in the link you provided, it looks like the World Time page doesn't tell you the day of the week and date in that city. Am I misreading it?

You're right, I'm wearing it now and the world time page shows city code, that city's time, and local time. However, with a calculator, a protractor, and and a star chart, I can usually determine the current day of the week and date in that city plus or minus a week.

You're a better drunk than I, I need the watch to tell me the day/date and sometimes where I am. Happy hour specials, dancers schedules and subway charts are not published in Zulu time unfortunately....

The current one you linked shows I'm in Paris, but I don't know what the day or date is there....unless I do a lot of scrolling perhaps..

How about this one?

How about this one?

This one is probably the best replacement so far; I downloaded the manual from Casio--it'll tell you the date in Paris, but not the day. I'm beginning to think a true replacement isn't made anymore--which is frustrating because it can't be that friggin' hard.....

OK, in case anyone cares enough to be tracking the developments on this, I did return the Vector and picked up a Core All Black...

ImageVaultHandler.jpg

But I've come to realize that the back back/light letters just doesn't cut it in lower light situations such as being indoors. That is due in part to the fact that the black/negative face on this watch reflects a lot thereby making it tougher to see the display. Also, I've learned that it also shows all the fingerprints and smudges that somehow get on the face.

So then I found that Amazon.com has the Core Regular Black with the light/positive background for $190 with free shipping, so guess what I've just ordered?!?

ImageVaultHandler-1.jpg?

Yeah, the bezel is slightly different (the two glow-in-the-dark dots at top are missing), but for the most part I am pretty sure I will be able to glance at this watch and be able to read all the information being presented without having to squint or move the watch around.

The Highgear I've been wearing for nearly seven years was the same, and I never had any issues seeing it under any conditions.

I really like the Core, it's a nice watch and has some cool features (yesterday evening when a storm front rolled through the area, a weather alarm on it went off!). The compass is pretty accurate as well. I think it will hold up better than the Vector, which was a nice watch but had a bit too much plastic on it for me (especially the battery cover, which I shredded on my last two watches). It's also nice and thin, which makes wearing it under a shirt sleeve a lot easier than my old watch, which was chunky to say the least.

I'm hanging on to the Core All Black until the new watch arrives, then I'll see which works better (I am pretty sure I already know, but I will still test both out) and return the other (unless I can't decide, then I'll probably keep both as they are pretty inexpensive)...

Cheers! M2

OK, in case anyone cares enough to be tracking the developments on this, I did return the Vector and picked up a Core All Black...

ImageVaultHandler.jpg

But I've come to realize that the back back/light letters just doesn't cut it in lower light situations such as being indoors. That is due in part to the fact that the black/negative face on this watch reflects a lot thereby making it tougher to see the display. Also, I've learned that it also shows all the fingerprints and smudges that somehow get on the face.

Yeah, the bezel is slightly different (the two glow-in-the-dark dots at top are missing), but for the most part I am pretty sure I will be able to glance at this watch and be able to read all the information being presented without having to squint or move the watch around.

The Highgear I've been wearing for nearly seven years was the same, and I never had any issues seeing it under any conditions.

I really like the Core, it's a nice watch and has some cool features (yesterday evening when a storm front rolled through the area, a weather alarm on it went off!). The compass is pretty accurate as well. I think it will hold up better than the Vector, which was a nice watch but had a bit too much plastic on it for me (especially the battery cover, which I shredded on my last two watches). It's also nice and thin, which makes wearing it under a shirt sleeve a lot easier than my old watch, which was chunky to say the least.

I'm hanging on to the Core All Black until the new watch arrives, then I'll see which works better (I am pretty sure I already know, but I will still test both out) and return the other (unless I can't decide, then I'll probably keep both as they are pretty inexpensive)...

Cheers! M2

I'm digging this watch. I've never owned Suunto; always been a Casio man. For those that have owned both, how do they compare? I don't need a watch that can make me breakfast, just something that keeps a good hack (Atomic clock), has decent features that I might use in the jet or behind my desk, and doesn't look like I got it in a gumball machine.

I was 69% decided on the Casio GW3500B, but now I'm not sure.

GW3500B-1A_xlarge.png

If my eyes weren't going bad thanks to old age, I'd keep that negative face Suunto Core; but I think the positive face version--while not as slick looking--will be a lot easier to see...

This one is pretty nice. Got great reviews on Amazon. One guy says he uses it to stop time. Another says its better than Chuck Norris riding Godzilla...

http://www.amazon.co..._pr_product_top

The best part, you can save over $55K if you buy from Amazon!

"Only 1 left in stock--order soon!"

I'm digging this watch. I've never owned Suunto; always been a Casio man. For those that have owned both, how do they compare? I don't need a watch that can make me breakfast, just something that keeps a good hack (Atomic clock), has decent features that I might use in the jet or behind my desk, and doesn't look like I got it in a gumball machine.

GW3500B-1A_xlarge.png

I posted earlier about this Casio series and absolutely love mine. I've got the GW4000-d1a. I was originally looking at this one you posted, but decided I wanted a second hand if I was going to have analog hands. I also read about how the hands half block out the digital read out when they're in the lower half of the watch.

The GW4000 does everything this one does so it still applies. It receives its atomic signal every day and stays to the second with the GPS clock and with the national observatory clock, so I never have to hack. The full analog version has UTC in the lower right displayed all the time and you can change time zones to all the same ones and it spins the hands as you go through them.

It's a great watch. Nearly bullet proof, doesn't have a battery but always stays fully charged, and is to the second accurate 24/7. I can't be happier. Depending on the model it'll be $230-$330 on Amazon, but I think it's awesome. There are a couple YouTube videos of the 4000 and 3000 being reviewed and showing how they operate. After seeing how the full analog operates identical to a digital watch I was sold.

ImageVaultHandler.jpg

I rock this watch on days I'm not flying. Tough to read during the day and about impossible during night ops. IMO the one thing(s) it is missing is the battery-less technology available in some other watches out there and/or atomic clock. It sure does look the part though!

• Upvote 1

GW3500B-1A_xlarge.png

Wearing that watch right now. I love it, and living in Japan it is a nice bonus that it updates essentially anywhere in the world. It is also very durable, despite wearing it just about every workday for six months it still looks brand new.

Wearing that watch right now. I love it, and living in Japan it is a nice bonus that it updates essentially anywhere in the world. It is also very durable, despite wearing it just about every workday for six months it still looks brand new.

Do the hands get in the way of the digits? I have an analog/digital watch now but the hands are really skinny so they're not a factor.

Also, does the small LED still suck on these? Are the digits even possible to read at night?

Do the hands get in the way of the digits? I have an analog/digital watch now but the hands are really skinny so they're not a factor.

Also, does the small LED still suck on these? Are the digits even possible to read at night?

Whenever the hands are in front of the digital numbers it can take a second to figure out what it underneath but it isn't completely covered. You know I forgot about the LED, it does leave a little to be desired. You can read the hands just fine, but the second read out with the LED is very difficult to see. In the plane I usually look at my watch with the lip light on.

Does anyone have any input on Abingdon watches? They're designed for female pilots BY a female pilot. I looked at Breitlings for all of .02 seconds and decided NO watch was worth that much to me; plus, Breitling has discontinued several of their women's watches. I really like the looks of the Jackie (http://theabingdonco...6&product_id=54), but at that price point, I can only take a stab that it might be Chinese. I'm open to other brands, as long as it has an E6B. Thanks!

Abingdon Aviatrix Collection Jackie Seaplane Green Frontview-550x550.jpg

Do you like watches that have an E6B because of the style? Or do you intend to use the E6B on the watch?

I DO actually intend to use the E6B...the "Olive Garden bling" is a bonus, but not required.

I've found that watch whiz wheels are good for setting up currency conversions... end of list. YMMV.

Who uses whiz wheels anymore? And why would you want one on your wrist?

I use mine all the time, and not just in the cockpit. Hopping from port to port it's great for figuring out currency exchange rates in a few seconds.

• Upvote 1

• 3 weeks later...
So then I found that Amazon.com has the Core Regular Black with the light/positive background for $190 with free shipping, so guess what I've just ordered?!?

ImageVaultHandler-1.jpg?

Cheers! M2

OK, here is the 30-day (give or take) review of the Suunto Core Regular Black...

To be honest, I wasn't sure at first but now that I've been wearing it for a few weeks I am convinced that the Core is a great watch. It is thinner than the Highgear Summit it replaced, but I am finding that to be a good thing as it's easier to access under sleeves or a jacket. I keep it set on the barometer and I get a six-hour indicator of any increase or decrease in air pressure, good for determining which direction the weather is taking. We had some storms roll through this past week and it seemed to be fairly accurate in reading the air pressure. I think the altimeter is a bit off, I set it via my GPS and it still seems to be about 10-12' off. Since it works off barometric pressure I can understand the deviation, perhaps the Suunto GPS watches are more accurate.

The compass is dead on, although I don't really have much of a need for it. Still, it's nice for the few times I have used it. The glass face has held up well despite a few bangs against it, but I will admit I liked the Core All Black's glow-in-the-dark dots on the bezel and I wish this one had 'em.

But it is much easier to read outside than the negative face, my only complaint is that give its size the numbers could be much larger. It is the same diameter as my old Summit, but the numbers are roughly 20-25% smaller. There's a lot of usable area that Suunto could have used to enlarge them making them even easier to see. For 95% of you this wouldn't be an issue, but for us older gents it can be a challenge.

Compared to the Casios I looked at, the Suunto feels to be a better quality device. I have an issue paying $200-300 for a Casio, for me they're suppose to be inexpensive watches and even their higher end models still feel "plasticy" in comparison to the Core (they're closer to the lower Suunto Vector model). The 'buttonology' could be better, I wish I could switch from the barometer to the altimeter without having to go through the menu although it will give you an altimeter reading while set for the barometer. I also like the beefier band versus the Vector, it is very comfortable and can be snug without constricting bloodflow.

For the price I got mine via Amazon.com ($190 delivered), I think it is an excellent deal and would recommend the Sunnto Core to anyone looking for a quality but not overly expensive timepiece.

Cheers!