Pilot watches

Guest Dirt Beater

Is that from personal experience with a Citizen watch, or just becuase you've had such good luck with your Omega X-33?

I owned a NaviHawk back in the day...I was attracted to it becaused it just "seemed" like a cool pilot watch. Unfortunately, it let me down in two ways;

One, it hard broke -- the LCD screen went purple and black one day when I dropped it. It was significantly more fragile than my Omega or Breitling. Hell, it's more fragile than the SUPT-issue G-Shock.

Two, I never, ever used any of those "cool features" that attracted me to it in the first place. Seriously. That little itty bitty E6B on the bezel? Worthless. 1500 different time zones? Who cares...I can reset the hour hand easier than I can hunt for what time zone Afghanistan is in.

So, to me all the Citizen pilot watches are a lot of hype that don't really offer much to the pilot like you and I. Maybe joe private pilot in his C-172 might dig all those tiny dials and hash-marks and a kajillion different digital features....

• 3 years later...

I have a little SA on this topic since I was part of a recently placed Omega order. The only watch available through the program is the Speedmaster X-33, which is no longer available for public purchase. (Search on eBay to find what one looks like.) The price for the watch is $650 for one with a kevlar band and $850 for one with a titanium bracelet. Each watch in the order will have a logo of your choice engraved on the back. If you choose a logo that they have already done, the min order quantity is 10. If it is a new logo, the min order quantity is 15. You can have additional text engraved on the back if you wish, such as your name and callsign, etc.

The program requires you to sign an agreement stating that you are in fact a military aviator and that you won't resell the watch within five years. Also, you're limited to purchasing one watch per person.

Big picture: It is an outstanding watch at a great price. Hacker has had his longer than I have had mine, so he can probably tell you more about it's durability. The only drawback to the program is the time it takes from placing the order to receiving the watch-- it took our order about 9 months from start to finish!

Send me a PM with your .mil address if you would like the Omega Rep's contact information. There is only one person in the U.S. who works these deals, so I'm trying to keep a close hold on their information (read: not posting the info publicly) so that the program isn't abused for future orders.

-9-

Edited for clarity

Bump: Has anyone had any experience with putting together an X-33 order recently? Does Omega still do this?

I'd be interested in one of these if we could do some kind of a baseops group buy. Maybe something simple, like basic pilot wings engraved on the back... Anyone else? Looks like we'd need a list of 10-15 names, assuming they still offer this.

I'd be interested in one of these if we could do some kind of a baseops group buy. Maybe something simple, like basic pilot wings engraved on the back... Anyone else? Looks like we'd need a list of 10-15 names, assuming they still offer this.

I'd be interested.

PM me your .mil address and I'll send you what I got. No promises though, as it's the same info from when I placed an order four years ago.

-9-

pm sent

Side note - some MC-130P bubbas recently put together a pretty sweet order from Breitling (Airwolf watch). Latest word is that they're (finally) out of the oven and enroute to their new owners. Once I put eyes-on, I'll pass words about how they look... meanwhile, here's a quick artist's rendition from the paperwork (attached):

Regards,

Linda

post-10490-0-53273600-1321560290_thumb.j

• Upvote 1

Side note - some MC-130P bubbas recently put together a pretty sweet order from Breitling (Airwolf watch). Latest word is that they're (finally) out of the oven and enroute to their new owners. Once I put eyes-on, I'll pass words about how they look... meanwhile, here's a quick artist's rendition from the paperwork (attached):

Regards,

Linda

Approximate cost? Curious because that omega deal is amazing.

The last time people did a KC-10 Breitling deal, I think it was a minimum order of 50 units at $1800 each...

I deleted the email from the most recent buy (I want one, but it's too much $$ for me), so the details are a little hazy...

IIRC the min order went up to 100, and the cost was around $2400 each. The Airwolf is not being offered; it's another model now.

I'd be interested as well

Interested.

Regards,

Linda

A little late to the party considering all the P models will soon be in airparks and the boneyard.

Rolex GMT Master has always worked well for me.....but remember, when you go to the club (Dating myself; I know that that doesn't happen anymore: "Where have all the Fighter Pilots gone?") or while out trolling while on RON: The infamous "Big watch....little Richard" axiom!

Just checked the words from our illustrious ring leader on this one. Min order of 25, and they were about $2600.

I'm not sure where you guys come from, but that's no pocket change... but it's a damn fine Breitling watch, and they destroy the "mold," never to make those again after the batch... as I've been told.

CH - Nah... my girl will continue to live on... she just may be workin' for different masters, if I understood recent briefings correctly. Would be a shame to put Son Tay Raid veterans out to pasture, that's for sure.

Y'all have a great weekend. I'm off to the pub for a :beer:

Linda

I have a Breitling Aerospace and a Omega X-33. The X-33 is a much better pilot watch - a better watch period - and unless the military price has changed significantly at about 1/3rd the price of a Breitling order. If you like watches in the slightest and can get an X-33 go for it.

I've been looking to get my hands on an Omega X-33. Probably the best pilot watch out there right now. $1400-1600 is a steal.

Thru military sales about 5 years ago the price for an X-33 was under 1000. I think I paid 750 without a metal band and it was 900 with the metal one. I'm surprised it went up as much as it did.