Not being a SNAP

WHAP

Big time revival. Just found this gem in some old files, written by (I believe) a Wing Weapons Officer.

SNAP INTERVENTION

[swerves out of lane]

That was sweet. Too bad I thought of a few of my SQ pilots as I was reading... and as more evidence of SNAPs not being a new phenomenon, they're all field-grades.

[swerves back into lane]

As a noob, I never knew what the acronym SNAP meant, but I figured if I hung around here long enough, I'd figure it out. Thanks for bringing this thread back and letting me learn some things.

Based on the descriptions above, I don't think I'm a SNAP, but I know a few, from butterbars to full-birds. Now I have a label for them.

One symptom I've noticed from these guys is that they talk about getting trashed, pushing it up, and how much they can drink all the time. When the beer light comes on, or everyone goes out on friday night, and the wives are there to drive all our drunk asses home, they never have more than two drinks, if any.

Its downplaying personnal mistakes while pointing out those of others...

Its scoffing the debrief...

Its scoffing responsibility...

Its worrying about your image... if you do good work and bust your ass, you dont have to!

Its scoffing anything that MAY put themselves in a bad light or wont boost their career...

Its scoffing the WORK we all have to do day-to-day to make a squadron run...

Its wanting to be an exec more than a tactician...

Its not managing your own currency or upgrade progress...

Its not knowing the basics...

Its not studying... and getting pissed when called out for not knowing...

Its not being able to FLY THE JET and THINK at the same time...

Its about SOS in correspondance just to be able to check the box in residence....

Its about never hanging out and LEARNING after a sortie...

Its about not hanging out and learning from your bros at the bar - the "So there I WASNT" Syndrome...

Its worrying more about completing a masters than a lead upgrade...

Its about the inability to make a decision when it counts...

Its about not realizing that you arent entitled to a damn thing...

Experience is what gets you there, but you have to work, study and have open eyes/ears and a shut mouth to get experience.

Chuck

Yes - this is the epitome of the AF SNAP. The fighter references in the other posts I sadly didn't comprehend but this is a great list of the general qualities that we can all agree on. We've got a guy or two at the squadron that I like to call CP/IPs...still a copilot but thinks that they have the right to GK ACs and above on minutia.

And, with all due respect to the original posted list, going to church and encouraging others to do the same is not a SNAP quality. There's nothing sensitive or new age about faith.

Edited by PirateAF
  • Upvote 1

5. Expects leave during X-Mas without prior coordination…then whines when it doesn’t happen

Write "X-Mas" because he's

- lazy (probable correct answer, despite the fact he just typed 1000 words),

- is a politically correct pussification of what a military pilot used to be,

- is an Al-Qaeda-esqe, communist/atheist, non-God fearing entity who needs targeting (with some help from an ISR platform).

Attitude and work ethic is everything. You could be religious or not, married or not, fat or not, whatever. One of the best pilots and overall studs I've met was a minister who didn't drink. If you are aggressive, humble, driven, really enjoy this line of work and don't care about pay/rank/title/position, you're on the right track.

It is fortunate our society doesn't have to work as hard, watch as many of our friends die, worry about job/life/tough times as previous generations. Unfortunately, the products of this society that join the Military typically don't know how to deal with failure/tough times/hard work/not getting what they want. Luckily, my father made sure shit was tough for me.

On a side note, watched a bad guy take 200 rounds of 30mm up the ass earlier today. God, I love this job.

Cheers from OEF!

Barney

Write "X-Mas" because he's

- lazy (probable correct answer, despite the fact he just typed 1000 words),

- is a politically correct pussification of what a military pilot used to be,

- is an Al-Qaeda-esqe, communist/atheist, non-God fearing entity who needs targeting (with some help from an ISR platform).

Actually Huggy, the Greeks were using the letters X or XP as an abbreviation for Christ since the 1400's. It's even used in the New Testament.

Now you know, and knowledge is power!

Oh, look at the big brain on Spoo. I swear, send a gunship-killer-turned-pressure-suit-pressure-breathing-prima-donna to school, and he ends up in a velvet smoking jacket with a pipe in his mouth, explaining Greek literature to me. YGBSM.

And, the Greek letter Chi (X) is, well,... Greek. According to my Greek speaking concubine, Christ in Greek is Χριστός. I'm not going to argue with you, as my knuckle-dragging IQ has no knowledge of such things. X or XP is obviously a crude abbreviation on the word. But an X and a P have little in common with Chi and Rho. Because we speak English here. And in English, X is a rating given to various movies, and XP is a rating given to orientation flyers that jump into the back of my jet. I've never read the Bible in Greek (I'm guessing you have, so you can discuss it with your Bohemian buddies at the local Chai Tea shop?), but I'm willing to bet that the New Testament Greeks said nothing about movies and jet sorties.

Therefore, I revert back to my first supposition: the writter is lazy, despite his exhuberant letter on SNAPs.

Additionally, I know of no neckless, sloping-forehead (yes, I said "head",... get over it) fighter/attack/recce pilot that would piece together your X=Christ connection. Most military pilots on this site don't even know that the Greeks make baklava, have fuzzy balls on their military shoes, or fly F-16's,... much less that they wrote portions of the Bible in that language.

So Spoo, what's next?? Will you educate us in the finer points of Aramaic?

And to think you've become this. I weep.

Edited by Huggyu2

I'm one of those athiest non-god fearing individuals.... what say you?

I've got no problem with religion, and it alone is not a qualification for SNAP status; however, wearing it on your sleeve/proselytizing certainly is!

wearing it on your sleeve/proselytizing certainly is!

Why?

I know plenty of Irish Catholics who are proud of their faith. They would also consider drinking you under the table and kicking your ass a good Saturday night. I would enjoy watching you or anyone else explain to them why you think they're a SNAP (or SNAI in this case).

I think the term SNAP has gotten pretty scewed in this thread. Wearing your beliefs on your sleeve is not being SNAP. Bitching about your 9 hour work day... whining because lead was mean to you in the debrief... complaining that the squadron sucks but not doing anything to change it cause it's not in your job description... Those are SNAP moves.

Why?

I know plenty of Irish Catholics who are proud of their faith. They would also consider drinking you under the table and kicking your ass a good Saturday night. I would enjoy watching you or anyone else explain to them why you think they're a SNAP (or SNAI in this case).

I think the term SNAP has gotten pretty scewed in this thread. Wearing your beliefs on your sleeve is not being SNAP. Bitching about your 9 hour work day... whining because lead was mean to you in the debrief... complaining that the squadron sucks but not doing anything to change it cause it's not in your job description... Those are SNAP moves.

Because generally speaking, people who are not of your faith want to hear about your faith about as much as they want to be regaled by tales of the last time you clipped your toe nails. That in and of itself it probably not snapish; however, "I cant do that because I'm religious" and especially "i can't go out, i've got church in the morning" definitely is snapish.

• Downvote 4

Because generally speaking, people who are not of your faith want to hear about your faith about as much as they want to be regaled by tales of the last time you clipped your toe nails. That in and of itself it probably not snapish; however, "I cant do that because I'm religious" and especially "i can't go out, i've got church in the morning" definitely is snapish.

No what you're saying Napolean is that EVERYONE should be SENSITIVE to YOUR needs. After all if YOU don't want to hear it, it shouldn't be spoken. Do I have this right?

By the way, see the flight surgeon on Tuesday: your skin is so thin there's a high probability you'll bleed to death.

Grow up.

Well I would say their problem has nothing to do with being a SNAP, instead they are an annoying pain in the ass. Maybe I just don't have the exposure to the types you're referring to, or maybe getting shot at and having near death experiences together tends to mellow both of our outlooks. In the end a bro is bro, whether he drinks or not has no bearing.

• Upvote 1

• 8 years later...
28 minutes ago, Seadogs said:

Super thread revival. I agree with Most of the things here that make someone a SNAP but what about a dude who doesn't want to go to strip clubs because that shit would make him want to cheat on the wife? 

Dude married the wrong chick then.  

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Seadogs said:

Super thread revival. I agree with Most of the things here that make someone a SNAP but what about a dude who doesn't want to go to strip clubs 

On 1/17/2010 at 8:05 PM, busdriver said:

Well I would say their problem has nothing to do with being a SNAP, instead they are an annoying pain in the ass. Maybe I just don't have the exposure to the types you're referring to, or maybe getting shot at and having near death experiences together tends to mellow both of our outlooks. In the end a bro is bro, whether he drinks or not has no bearing.

If you go ahead and synthesize busdriver’s point...

Edited by SurelySerious

19 minutes ago, dream big said:

Dude married the wrong chick then.  

My wife is hot af, I just know myself and when looks become stares, I can get tempted. Not the correct environment to place myself into if I want to stay faithful to my wife. Just knowing my own limits and boundaries I guess. 

5 minutes ago, SurelySerious said:

If you go ahead and synthesize busdriver’s point...

True...

• Confused 1
  • Downvote 1

5 hours ago, Seadogs said:

Super thread revival. I agree with Most of the things here that make someone a SNAP but what about a dude who doesn't want to go to strip clubs because that shit would make him want to cheat on the wife? 

Marry a stripper...problem solved!

Cooter

• Upvote 6

On 11/13/2018 at 12:28 AM, Seadogs said:

My wife is hot af, I just know myself and when looks become stares, I can get tempted. Not the correct environment to place myself into if I want to stay faithful to my wife. Just knowing my own limits and boundaries I guess. 

True...

You have bigger problems to take care of if a chick staring at you BECAUSE ITS HER FUCKING JOB to try and take your money (she’s only interested in that, not you, dork) makes you want to cheat on your “hot AF” wife.

Grow up, stare at some tits, help pay a lil towards someone’s college tuition, then go home and bang it out on your wife. 

Like the rest of us adults do.

I swear, kids these days...

• Like 1
  • Haha 1