Foreign Exchange Flying Tours

Guest C-21 Pilot

Guest RAFYankee

Scoobs,

I'm the current USAF/RAF C-130 Exchange pilot (slicks). Exchange jobs are well worth it, and if you need any language training, you'll get it at the Defence Language Institute in Monterey California paid for by the USAF. Any other questions, let me know...

RAF Yankee

RAF Lyneham

Guest RAFYankee

The USAF currently has Herc exchanges with the UK, Italy, France, the Netherlands, Spain, Austrailia, Japan, Thailand, and Canada (may be a few I missed and we no longer have one with Germany). The tours last two-and-a-half to three years and some may be on airframes similar to Hercs (ie Transalls). i'm currently on the UK exchange...

RAF Yankee

RAF Lyneham

There are also fighter tours with the Austrailians, Brits, Germans, USMC, US Navy (F-18 and F-14), and several other foriegn countries. A few years ago we had a Navy F-18 driver on exchange with the Weapons School flying in the Viper Division.

Guest ClemsonFlyBoy

I am fluent in Italian and really would like to fly and be stationed in Italy. If i speak Italian will that help me or give me a better chance to get in the exchange program and letting me fly in Italy. Italy also has some older f-16's. do you know if they have some sort of program. Where can i find more information on this? thank you

Guest RAFYankee

Here is the public website for the exchange program:

http://www.afpc.randolph.af.mil/special_ut...on/exchange.htm

Flying positions may require certain qualifications (ie. an instructor qual, a certain number of in-command hours, NVG qual, etc.) and I think most require a recommendation from your SQ/CC or Group/CC.

RAF Yankee

RAF Lyneham

Guest RAFYankee

The RAF Job is great! I can truthfully say that I've never had this much fun flying in my life. You won't deploy as much, but you don't sit around either. However, as the exchange guy you get some leeway on leave (they know you want to see some of Europe while you're over here). The job is currently accepting applications for my replacement to be report here no later than Jun-Jul 05. Call the number on the website for more info if you're up for a move then. Oh, and I guess the European Exchange guys no longer have a website...

RAF Yankee

RAF Lyneham

[ 05. October 2004, 03:04: Message edited by: RAFYankee ]

Guest PhiPsiViper

Do we do any exchange tours with the Russians or any former soviet block countries that fly MIG's or SU"s like UKRAINE

Guest hockeymv

The prospect of an exchange tour is part of the reason I chose 130's (and a great week in Germany drinking w/ the 37th while a cadet on OpsAF). My question is how early and often can you apply for these tours? Obviously, a new co-pilot isn't going to have a shot, but is it common for a 2nd MWS tour to be an exchange one, especially for a young captain? I'm assuming you have to be A/C qualified, but do exchange assignments typically want you to be IP qualified as well?

Any suggestions or advice are appreciated.

Guest RAFYankee

I was a second "term" guy getting the exchange.

Most Herc exchanges require a Herc instructor rating and over a certain number of hours as an Aircraft commander/instructor. And, as with any job, you should really be looking at least a year prior to your PCS date...

RAF Yankee

[ 15. October 2004, 02:04: Message edited by: RAFYankee ]

Guest NimitsTexan

When I get to that point in my career (sometime between "in the future" and "an eternity") flying F/A-18s ot F-14s for the Navy sounds like the way to get. Tell me, do they let Air Force pilots fly off the carriers?

Didn't I recently read that a Strike Eagle mission in Alaska was flown by a completely Canadian aircrew?

There was a line of pilots who flew with the GAF 77 Squadron Fulcrums, who passed all their jets to the Poles back in August. They have (had) a great web page. I still have a copy of a brief from one of the US exchange pilots, "Spanky", on how it was to fly the MiG-29. It had to be one hell of a fun tour!

Cheers! M2

Guest ifrflyer
Originally posted by NimitsTexan:

Tell me, do they let Air Force pilots fly off the carriers?

When I was a Marine F/A-18 maintainer, my squadron did a Med-cruise on the Roosevelt. We had a USAF F-15 exchange pilot, and yes he did fly off the carrier.

That was in 1996-97, not sure what opportunities exist currently.

Good luck

• 1 year later...