PME and Career advice

ClearedHot

On 12/13/2014 at 0:21 AM, Spartacus said:

...and therefore all subsequent year groups.

Which is weird because I (06 year group) got the e-mail today saying to fill out a 3849 for DE consideration... And I only found out I'm a Major-select like two weeks ago. Doesn't feel quite right (I thought you didn't get looked at until you pinned on, which isn't for a while).

Word up - the look is this summer, when you may not be pinned on, but it's for a school/program that would begin next summer, when you will be.

And Cubbies22….take the small school program!

zb

17 hours ago, drewpey said:

Some guys are submitting their second 3849 and haven't even pinned on Major yet.  Ready, fire, aim!

Not sure what your point is. If you're eligible, you're eligible. Why wouldn't you submit if you're interested?  

7 hours ago, Spoo said:

Not sure what your point is. If you're eligible, you're eligible. Why wouldn't you submit if you're interested?  

My point is that the whole process is too fast.  Here you have guys who aren't Majors yet being looked at for what is basically automatic promotion to LtCol.

8 hours ago, drewpey said:

My point is that the whole process is too fast.  Here you have guys who aren't Majors yet being looked at for what is basically automatic promotion to LtCol.

Is it 'too fast' in general, or just 'too fast' this year for guys who just recently got selected for promotion to Major?  Because it's the same timeline for X year group vs 1st look at IDE as it was for me several years ago...just under 10 years total time in service when applying for your first look.  

Exactly. The AF considers you "ready" to attend IDE as soon as you're selected for Major, hence the reason you can sign up for it in correspondence as soon as you're a select.

• Upvote 2

• 1 month later...

Any idea on how many records go before the CSB for IDE? I got a nomination (last look) but I'm trying to gauge my optimism. As I understand it the CSB establishes a cut much like a promo board for both primary and alternates. Just wondering...the press release from last years board indicate over 10,000 and that figure seems a little high, inclusive of those eligible but not nominated.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• 4 months later...

Bump for a question...

I'm currently at IDE (NIU) and have been put into a JPME concentration. However, I completed the AF OLMP a few years ago with a joint warfare concentration, which I was told at the time would get me JPME phase 1 credit.

I don't want to eat up a JPME slot here if there's someone else who can benefit from it, and I don't want to relearn the same things either. Did anyone else do the OLMP and receive JPME phase 1 credit?

If you've completed ACSC in correspondence, you should have JPME I credit. If not, according to a quick search on the google, you should have received JPME I credit for your OLMP with joint concentration. Check your SURF and dig around on the portal to verify. If that doesn't work, check with your staff NCO, they should be able to look it up. After you do that, go talk to your senior service rep. They may have a reason for placing you in the JPME group.

Question for you: Do you still have to complete ACSC in correspondence to receive in-residence credit for NIU? If so, reference first sentence above.

JPME 1.jpg

Edited by Spoo

Thanks, Spoo. Right now my SURF doesn't show any JPME credit, although it does show IDE non-res complete. I'm planning on calling AU tomorrow about it, and I'm definitely going to talk to my service advisor here.

It's not a huge deal but my main concern is that I would be taking up a JPME slot that someone else could benefit from.

To your question, I think the answer is no, especially now that you can't even sign up for correspondence until your third look.

• Upvote 1

Thanks, Spoo. Right now my SURF doesn't show any JPME credit, although it does show IDE non-res complete. I'm planning on calling AU tomorrow about it, and I'm definitely going to talk to my service advisor here.

It's not a huge deal but my main concern is that I would be taking up a JPME slot that someone else could benefit from.

To your question, I think the answer is no, especially now that you can't even sign up for correspondence until your third look.

I don't think JPME I shows on anyone's SURF.

I'm one of those that's on the fence about staying in the AF and not particularly inclined to fly for the airlines, although I may reconsider if FedEX or UPS were hiring at the same rate.  I love serving my country and despite the fact that flying has an ever-decreasing role in my career as I get older, I still love my job and the people I work with.  However, as a junior Major 11M and an IDE candidate out of my board I'm now staring down the barrel of several big decisions.  A $25K/year bonus is laughable in the face of a 365, so that will be a "no" unless it's increased substantially.  When it comes to IDE, I have don't have any desire to attend in residence because of the associated 3-year commitment tacked-on after graduation.  I have a top 25% record and I've heard that last cycle the AF exhausted the entire alternate list and then some yet still didn't fill all of the available IDE slots.  If I get selected for IDE, I'll most likely 7-day opt due to the associated ADSC.  

I may be looking for the unicorn in the room, but has anyone out there successfully managed to avoid competing for IDE without torpedoing their career by telling leadership they don't desire to compete for IDE?

What look are you in?  Were you pushed by your senior rater this past round?  One way to pretty much guarantee to not go as a select, other than saying so on your ADP and 3849, is to not complete ACSC via correspondence.  

Edited by Champ Kind

51 minutes ago, Champ Kind said:

What look are you in?  Were you pushed by your senior rater this past round?  One way to pretty much guarantee to not go as a select, other than saying so on your ADP and 3849, is to not complete ACSC via correspondence.  

Just met my first look, but was not pushed by my SR.

Not that easy any more Champ - you can't even sign up for correspondence until your third look as a select.  Which is awesome when you see bros get forced to school who don't want it on X look as clearly stated on their 3849.  But, we shouldn't be surprised the AF doesn't give a shit about what a person wants.

Edited by brabus

Not that easy any more Champ - you can't even sign up for correspondence until your third look as a select.  Which is awesome when you see bros get forced to school who don't want it on X look as clearly stated on their 3849.  But, we shouldn't be surprised the AF doesn't give a shit about what a person wants.

Tracking on blocking ACSC in correspondence for selects but the poster above said he's a candidate.

4 hours ago, Runr6730 said:

I'm one of those that's on the fence about staying in the AF and not particularly inclined to fly for the airlines, although I may reconsider if FedEX or UPS were hiring at the same rate.

You may already know this, but FedEx had 2 new hire indoc classes this month with 47 pilots in attendance. They plan to continue to hire at this rate for a while, and are putting lots of new hires in the 777. If you want to work for FedEx, there is no better time than right now.

(sorry, this is totally unrelated to PME)

• Upvote 1

9 hours ago, Runr6730 said:

I may be looking for the unicorn in the room, but has anyone out there successfully managed to avoid competing for IDE without torpedoing their career by telling leadership they don't desire to compete for IDE?

I was in this exact same boat last year.  I didn't want to go to school, but also didn't want to show my cards.  The Sq/CC asked me to submit a 3849 because the OG wanted to push me.  Rather than level with my Sq/CC, I rolled the dice and submitted the 3849.  Crapped out, got picked up as a primary (candidate, no correspondence) and am now suffering at Maxwell (Douhet was wrong, btw.)  In retrospect, and after talking it over with the CC in the bar, I should've let him know my desires so that he could've gone to bat for me and pushed someone else.  Live and learn, and of course, YMMV. 

8 hours ago, Champ Kind said:

Unfortunately, not a guarantee anymore.  I was as a candidate with no correspondence and got selected.  They truly have hit rock bottom...

On August 24, 2016 at 6:38 AM, pcola said:

I was in this exact same boat last year.  I didn't want to go to school, but also didn't want to show my cards.  The Sq/CC asked me to submit a 3849 because the OG wanted to push me.  Rather than level with my Sq/CC, I rolled the dice and submitted the 3849.  Crapped out, got picked up as a primary (candidate, no correspondence) and am now suffering at Maxwell (Douhet was wrong, btw.)  In retrospect, and after talking it over with the CC in the bar, I should've let him know my desires so that he could've gone to bat for me and pushed someone else.  Live and learn, and of course, YMMV. 

Unfortunately, not a guarantee anymore.  I was as a candidate with no correspondence and got selected.  They truly have hit rock bottom...

Indeed..  wow.  In my little slice of heaven, not having it done in correspondence is a non-starter for a candidate, you don't even get a push from the group.  Without getting into a records discussion, it really is all luck and timing.  

Edited by Champ Kind