PME and Career advice

ClearedHot

IMHO, the AF values crossflow too much. Jack of all trades, master of none mentality.

Correction, AMC loves cross flow too much. To paraphrase an F-22 buddy of mine: "If an F16 pilot shows up in my F22 squadron, I don't see him as a future leader, I ask what he ed up to get sent away from his last community

• Upvote 5

Only issue is, that majority of the knowledge that gets passed down is in that "lump of luck." Our WIC guys are 110% over tasked and always deployed so it is unrealistic to think they are going to mentor the new guys. The O-5's are generally crossflow guys who know very little about the MWS or only flew that MWS on their 1st assignment 6-9 years ago and are too busy to talk jets to the LPA now anyway.

So that leaves a bunch of junior IPs that may or may not have been pushed through too early.

IMHO, the AF values crossflow too much. Jack of all trades, master of none mentality.

In my little corner of AMC we've got the same thing. Our community has lost and will keep losing experienced dudes, to be replaced by crossflows from white jets and RPAs.

Who benefits when a new IP is pcs'd out of a community 6 months after upgrade?

His gaining unit.

Not really. They get an inexperienced direct-to-AC who will upgrade to IP before they have the same level of systems knowledge as an experienced copilot, if they ever get to that level at all. Since the cross flow guys are immediately flagged for "grooming" jobs at the group and wing, they don't fly enough to make great IPs.

Well...the good news is that he's going to school, which fewer folks are these days. The bad news is that he's essentially going 3rd look, which will likely damage opportunities for BPZ to O-5. My take...he's got no control over it...be the best doggone SOS instructor that school has seen, work his tail off & pick-up DG at ACSC in three years, and start mentally preparing for the awesome leadership opportunity that is Squadron Command...it will be here before he knows it.

It's hard to know if you're being serious. Either way, this is a great example of the mentality that has turned the AF into a career advancement exercise for bureaucrats.

It's hard to know if you're being serious. Either way, this is a great example of the mentality that has turned the AF into a career advancement exercise for bureaucrats.

With respect, it has always been thus.

As infuriating as I find Chang's words and, apparently, attitude, he at least recognizes the 'system' and embraces it.

Big Blue has always had its hoops to jump through, PME almost always being one of them.

That the majority of talent finds the system repugnant doesn't matter to "The Man."

The Man got where he and it is because it willingly jumped through those hoops.

It finds those unwilling to do so as failures and unworthy. Fighting it, while morally satisfying, nearly always results in frustration for the fighter and a win for The Man.

That "two below" and DG in academic situations counts so much for a military, thus warfighting, institution is demeaning but those in power have made/rigged the rules. They won't willingly change those rules and will very willingly cull from the herd those who won't embrace those rules.

That it costs lives each and every time the "warfighting, i.e., bullets flying, things going 'boom,' bit occurs is acceptable to them to maintain the purity of the body.

The AF is not different from any other large organization with its own culture. You either embrace those norms or the body eventually rejects you.

Informed choice is the best any individual can do.

That and being able to look yourself in the mirror...

Nothing cosmic or wise, just recognizing the very well known threat.

• Upvote 4

Feet are dragging due to the other goings-on at AFPC, that's it... This was released officially on 5 Dec last year, with personal notifications received as early as the week of Thanksgiving.

Chuck

Maybe. I understand that it is at AETC for approval. Not an AFPC issue.

Rumor: I heard from a HAF staffer that the '05 captains up for promotion right now won't have their first look for school until a year later than usual (first look attendance would start Summer '17 instead of Summer '16). This would allow one academic year ('16-'17) to clear the glut of selects clogging up the system. The end goal will be a strict 70/30 select/candidate IDE rate.

Rumor: I heard from a HAF staffer that the '05 captains up for promotion right now won't have their first look for school until a year later than usual (first look attendance would start Summer '17 instead of Summer '16). This would allow one academic year ('16-'17) to clear the glut of selects clogging up the system. The end goal will be a strict 70/30 select/candidate IDE rate.

Separate board?

• 1 year later...

Looking for info on the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation (WHINSEC) IDE program at Ft Benning, GA.  I am currently slated to go to ACSC this summer with a 1 year follow on to teach ACSC or SOS (AU Fellowship).  I was offered this WHINSEC program today which would be going to Monterey for 6 months to learn Spanish and then attend the IDE program at WHINSEC the next year.  From what I can tell, the course is very similar to Army Command and General Staff Course, only taught in Spanish.  Not sure if this is a good deal or not.  All help and info is much appreciated.

Edited by go_cubbies22
typo

6 minutes ago, go_cubbies22 said:

Looking for info on the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation (WHINSEC) IDE program at Ft Benning, GA.  I am currently slated to go to ACSC this summer with a 1 year follow on to teach ACSC or SOS (AU Fellowship).  I was offered this WHINSEC program today which would be going to Monterrey for 6 months to learn spanish and then attend the IDE program at WHINSEC the next year.  From what I can tell, the course is very similar to Army Command and General Staff Course, only taught in Spanish.  Not sure if this is a good deal or not.  All help and info is much appreciated.

I really think it depends on what you value.  If learning a language (assuming you don't already know Spanish) and gaining some experience with our joint brethren is valuable to you, then do it.  IMO, I would take the opportunity.  

Concur with muscle above, do it if you value that experience.  I wouldn't, because it's not something that interests me.  But if it seems cool to you, go for it.  Sounds like 18 months and 2 PCS, consider second order effects on your personal life.  Also you should ascertain if there is a required follow on or any type of payback.  Once you gather the info, decide according to your tastes.  Good luck!  Having a choice is a blessing.

3 hours ago, go_cubbies22 said:

Looking for info on the Western Hemisphere Institute for Security Cooperation (WHINSEC) IDE program at Ft Benning, GA.  I am currently slated to go to ACSC this summer with a 1 year follow on to teach ACSC or SOS (AU Fellowship).  I was offered this WHINSEC program today which would be going to Monterey for 6 months to learn Spanish and then attend the IDE program at WHINSEC the next year.  From what I can tell, the course is very similar to Army Command and General Staff Course, only taught in Spanish.  Not sure if this is a good deal or not.  All help and info is much appreciated.

Remember what you learned in 7th grade English, take the road less traveled...

Sounds like a great opportunity, congrats on the choice.

6 months in Monterey would be some of the best time of your life.  Then again, I believe some European languages are now taught at DLI East (Washington DC).  Still not a bad tour to live in DC and have no responsibility except to learn Spanish.

These types of deals normally roll down, vs bubble up.  In other words, the dude who originally got this probably could no longer do it so they offered it to the next most qualified candidate (according to the rack and stack).  So consider that.

Agree with other posters that the small schools are generally the most selective and will stand out more in your record than ACSC.