PME and Career advice

ClearedHot

Mind boggling, isn't it?

Lot's of opportunities to make O-5, on both AD and in the ARC, that don't involve wasting a year of your life at a joke "school" in shithole Alabama. To each their own.

I'll take the first 365 days without a deployment since graduating UPT for $1000. Not flying will blow, but to actually have a year of 9-5 to remember what my wife looks like and not spend half the year in some desert sounds good to me. Montgomery is shangri-la compared to Afghanistan/Iraq.

I'll take the first 365 days without a deployment since graduating UPT for $1000. Not flying will blow, but to actually have a year of 9-5 to remember what my wife looks like and not spend half the year in some desert sounds good to me. Montgomery is shangri-la compared to Afghanistan/Iraq.

It's not 9-5.

That sounds miserable.

I know a dude (a patch wearer no less) who used it as a chance to quit smoking, get in marathon shape, and read every book he'd been meaning to read for the previous dozen years.

He also made a few softer officers cry.

• Upvote 3

• 2 weeks later...

Checks. Buddy was notified that he was selected for the SOS instructor to ACSC assignment

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This is a huge opportunity for this individual that I'm betting 95% of the smack-talking pilots on this forum wished they had the record to compete for. My hat's off to your friend, Skitzo. Good work.

• Downvote 10

Chang, I assure you that myself and so many of the other jealous, incompetent, and utterly bedazzled pilots are amazed by your beauracratic prowess. Please tell me more about how flawlessly the fy14 vsp/rif program was executed...

"Bureaucratic"

• Downvote 4

This is a huge opportunity for this individual that I'm betting 95% of the smack-talking pilots on this forum wished they had the record to compete for. My hat's off to your friend, Skitzo. Good work.

Welcome back Chang! Buddy was actually a school select off of the board and now going his first look, just not to ACSC. He was wondering what to make of it.

95% of the smack-talking pilots on this forum are more worried about records that are competitive for airline gigs. Check out the "Leaving the AF for the Airlines" thread for starters. Get over yourself, nobody around here gives 2 shits about your ideal career track.
  • Upvote 2

Well...the good news is that he's going to school, which fewer folks are these days. The bad news is that he's essentially going 3rd look, which will likely damage opportunities for BPZ to O-5. My take...he's got no control over it...be the best doggone SOS instructor that school has seen, work his tail off & pick-up DG at ACSC in three years, and start mentally preparing for the awesome leadership opportunity that is Squadron Command...it will be here before he knows it.

Well...the good news is that he's going to school, which fewer folks are these days. The bad news is that he's essentially going 3rd look, which will likely damage opportunities for BPZ to O-5. My take...he's got no control over it...be the best doggone SOS instructor that school has seen, work his tail off & pick-up DG at ACSC in three years, and start mentally preparing for the awesome leadership opportunity that is Squadron Command...it will be here before he knows it.

This is why I am leaving.

1. Not everyone wants to go to school but the big AF thinks differently.

2. However, if you don't go in-res you won't ever really have a chance at SQ/CC or higher.

3. SOS instructor prestigious? Mine was fired from his last job and was clearly not on the fast track. WTF?

4. DG. It never stops in the AF. Your next OPR, next assignment, upgrades, schools and the constant competition to get ahead never stops. Just so you can be SQ/CC or higher where you will likely be a puppet to your OG or WG/CC. It's always something that the AF is holding over your head to get you to perform. I'm sick of that damn attitude and the queep that we create for ourselves. This place has become an utter clown show.

• Upvote 5

Interesting. In my community, if you aren't 2 below to O-5, you aren't getting command of a squadron. At least, not in the community. I have known guys pick up things like FSS/CC, or SQ/CC of an ASOS.

This is a huge opportunity for this individual that I'm betting 95% of the smack-talking pilots on this forum wished they had....

YGBFSM. I saw the posts and had to look back to see what great deal this person got.

You could not pay me enough to do that gig. In fact, I'd pay my salary not to do it.

Teaching worthless stuff at a worthless school to go to another worthless school so I can compete to be a micromanaged sq/cc.

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

• Upvote 5

This is why I am leaving.

1. Not everyone wants to go to school but the big AF thinks differently.

2. However, if you don't go in-res you won't ever really have a chance at SQ/CC or higher.

3. SOS instructor prestigious? Mine was fired from his last job and was clearly not on the fast track. WTF?

4. DG. It never stops in the AF. Your next OPR, next assignment, upgrades, schools and the constant competition to get ahead never stops. Just so you can be SQ/CC or higher where you will likely be a puppet to your OG or WG/CC. It's always something that the AF is holding over your head to get you to perform. I'm sick of that damn attitude and the queep that we create for ourselves. This place has become an utter clown show.

1 & 2: You may think the school itself is a BS waste of time (and the in-res v coor is also BS) but if an organization thinks it's important for their leaders to have that education then why is it BS to only pick your leaders from the pool of grads. The problem is the school not the process.

3. I'm pretty sure the program of sending school guys to teach there and follow on to ACSC is an effort to correct the shitty SOS instructor problem. But I'm occasionally an optimist

4. Why shouldn't it be a competition? Once again, the problem is the method of evaluating. The whole point of the up or out system is to prevent old fucks hanging around at low levels long past their best used by dates, like in the inter-war years. While you might argue the pendulum has swung too far, it's a matter of degrees and I don't think we've gotten to "burn this bitch down" just yet.

There are plenty of good dudes that just want to be pilots and fly the line. Good on you, but at the end of the day that doesn't equate to a 20 year military career in most cases without a big lump of luck. Look on the bright side, the airlines are hiring again!

• Upvote 2

There are plenty of good dudes that just want to be pilots and fly the line. Good on you, but at the end of the day that doesn't equate to a 20 year military career in most cases without a big lump of luck. Look on the bright side, the airlines are hiring again!

Only issue is, that majority of the knowledge that gets passed down is in that "lump of luck." Our WIC guys are 110% over tasked and always deployed so it is unrealistic to think they are going to mentor the new guys. The O-5's are generally crossflow guys who know very little about the MWS or only flew that MWS on their 1st assignment 6-9 years ago and are too busy to talk jets to the LPA now anyway.

So that leaves a bunch of junior IPs that may or may not have been pushed through too early.

IMHO, the AF values crossflow too much. Jack of all trades, master of none mentality.

Edited by StoleIt