PME and Career advice

ClearedHot

Best thread to ask this question, I guess.

I'm looking at the timeline regarding first,second and third looks for school. When is it the best time to move after my PRF is written to ensure I can compete at all three looks?

Do I need two years on station before my first look? Or do I need one year on-station before my first look... giving me two years on-station when I PCS'd.

One year on station so you could move the following summer with no waiver required. So ideally you move right before the board actually meets but after your PRF has been written. Of course you'll have to hope the base you move too will push a first look dude for school.

• 1 year later...
  • 4 months later...

Thread bump.

For any of the old guys here, I just signed up for AWC and I am pondering the electives. These days, you have an option to take a language course through DLI. Does anyone have any experience going the language route? I don't have any particular background with foreign language since taking Spanish in High School. I have a couple reasons for being interested in taking Russian.

So what has your experience been?

Potential mail order brides?

Naw, they're hot but they make your next clearance update difficult.

Most of the English speaking world is on our team, so reading the other guys literature requires language skills.

Thread bump.

For any of the old guys here, I just signed up for AWC and I am pondering the electives. These days, you have an option to take a language course through DLI. Does anyone have any experience going the language route? I don't have any particular background with foreign language since taking Spanish in High School. I have a couple reasons for being interested in taking Russian.

So what has your experience been?

I'm taking the Spanish now. The course isn't bad, but the software/JKO is shit. The lessons are timed (20 mins I think). I come in to work early while its quiet to work on this, but if there are any distractions/people stopping by the office, the time limit slips by. When the time elapses and you are not lesson complete, then you do not get credit. During some lessons, the software dicked up and I ended up not getting credit for those lessons. Some had to be retaken multiple times. I have called the help desk # for JKO-no answer, had to leave message. That was two weeks ago and I still have not heard back from them. There is one portion of the lesson where you have to listen to a native speaker and then write what they said-the writing is with the mouse (not the easiest thing to write with) and is very time consuming. This where I usually run into time issues in the lessons. Can be very frustrating.

• 4 months later...

Anyone know when the CAF DO/COS and SQ/CC lists will be released? MyPers only has the PSDMs for FY14 posted that I can find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by stract

Anyone know when the CAF DO/COS and SQ/CC lists will be released? MyPers only has the PSDMs for FY14 posted that I can find

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

There is no longer a DO/CoS board in ACC. Those candidates are discussed in the late summer DT now without any formal process.

Don't know when the command lists will come out. I'd expect the wing and group CC picks to come out by December.

School list is expected 12-Nov.

That paid vacation also entails two extra PCSes in the span of a year, likely to a fake institution of learning in the middle of podunk Alabama.

I'll go with the shoe-in to O-5. With all the uncertainly with non selection and continuation, it also means job security.

Why do people work so hard to try and spend a year of their life wasted at a silly USAF school? Are people doing it just to guarantee LTC or is it like a paid vacation from the real AF?

Posted from the NEW Baseops.net App!

Mind boggling, isn't it?

Lot's of opportunities to make O-5, on both AD and in the ARC, that don't involve wasting a year of your life at a joke "school" in shithole Alabama. To each their own.

Mind boggling, isn't it?

Lot's of opportunities to make O-5, on both AD and in the ARC, that don't involve wasting a year of your life at a joke "school" in shithole Alabama. To each their own.

But you can't get on the fast track with that follow-on staff position unless you go to a school in residence!